Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 PM

988 posts, read 1,829,045 times

Advertisements

Please ignore this post, at least on this forum. Somehow I got it posted to the wrong spot!

Last edited by GBCommenter; 11-13-2011 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: post put on wrong forum somehow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM

298 posts, read 751,284 times
In this economy a job is a job, so if you have the financial means to make the move from AZ, by all means accept the position. Think of this a step or progression in your career. Rent first, see what area's you like, and see if this career move will work out for you.

I would recommend finding out exactly where (which city or suburb) the company is located and move close. Winter driving can be more tretcherous in the Twin Citites than it is in the AZ High Country, places like: Flagstaff, Show Low or Pinetop. This should take greater importance than political affiliation.

Speaking of political leanings. In spite of Minnesota being predominately liberal and a Democratic stronghold, the are some suburban area's which are very conservative and predominately Republican such as Minnesota's 6th Congressional District (Michelle Bachmann) and 2nd Congressional District (John Kline). Much of Anoka County is very conservative. So are Sherburne and Wright County all in the Northern and Western Suburbs and Carver County in the Southwest Metro. Some of the counties south of the Minnesota River like Scott County and some of the Dakota County suburbs further out are conservative. Washington County in the East Metro is also fairly conservative.

The two central cities: Minneapolis, St. Paul and the first ring suburbs inside the I-694 and I-494 beltway are going to be solidly Democrat. Many of the workers in both downtowns are fairly liberal.

There are both political extremes in the Twin Cities. Minneapolis and St. Paul have been desribed by those on the right as being more left wing liberal than San Francisco or Berkley while those on the left have accused Anoka County of being Alabama County or Arkansas County. Neither of the two comparisons are believable in my opinion.

I will say this: Comparing Minneapolis to Phoenix. The Southern Suburbs are like the East Valley suburbs of Phoenix while the Minneapolis Northern Suburbs compare to the West Valley suburbs in Phoenix. I do hate to make broad generalizations like this, but it will give you a good place to start.

Best of Luck in your career!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,581 times
^ Yup, that's pretty accurate. It's an interesting statistic that in Minneapolis, there hasn't even been a Republican candidate for Mayor since 1982, since the Republicans know they cannot win there.

The last Republican mayor in Minneapolis served only one day, on Dec. 31st, 1973.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
You have a good job offer? Take it fool!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM

987 posts, read 3,819,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Protestant/ Christian
Sorry, we only take Lutherans.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:56 PM

302 posts, read 727,294 times
I'm originally from Southern California. When I first moved here, I bought a place in the north metro (to be close to a brother that lives here). I am pretty liberal and not religious (I consider myself spiritual but do not attend church). I never really felt like I "belonged" in the north metro (although I made some good friends up there). Just seems a bit too conservative for me (socially and politically)...just much different than what I'm used to coming from CA)! This might be an area you want to look into? I now own a home in the south metro (Bloomington) and feel much more at home there...little more laid back, diverse and liberal (as is most of the south metro...until you cross the Minnesota River and land in Burnsville and beyond...then it gets a little more conservative again).

Also, not to generalize, but the further out from the cities you go, the more conservative you'll get (just a general rule of thumb!).

Good luck to you.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 48,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I live on the Uptown side of South Minneapolis. Very nice area. I highly recommend it. Minneapolis is like a big small town for the most part.

To respond to the other information in your post, I'm also a single, white, Christian, conservative male. Minneapolis is very, very liberal in biblical matters. It's a strongly Democrat state. (For the record, I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat. I think for myself and use the Bible as my standard for living and the choices I make.) There are good churches here, however. I attend Bethlehem Baptist Church with Pastor John Piper. It's not a megachurch and the Bible is taught. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like.

With all that said, Minneapolis is actually not a bad place to live, for a city. (I'm a small town country guy.) It's hardly perfect but, other than occasional extreme weather (heat and cold), Minneapolis offers a lot.
we need more Christians...like that (so many are so staunch party--GOP---loyalists first)

Old 11-20-2011, 08:33 AM

812 posts, read 2,173,388 times
You'll be fine even if you decide to move closer to the city core. I find my street to be quite politically mixed and I'm blocks from Minneapolis. It doesn't come out in an obvious way and its never been an issue. I think most places here you'll find that.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM

70 posts, read 120,321 times
So did you take the job? If so, welcome to Minnesota.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Protestant/ Christian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Sorry, we only take Lutherans.
Lutherans = Protestant and Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul