Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 17,551 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy in the West Side, but I need some help on what areas are safe and which ones to steer clear of.

It seems like east of Smith St. down toward Cesar Chavez isn't great. Particularly, I'm looking just a block or two east of Smith St. and 1 block in from the bluffs. I'm attracted to it because of the amazing views, proximity to downtown, biking/walking trails, and the affordable prices, but is it safe?

I'd appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM

321 posts, read 861,679 times
One block in from the bluff should still be very nice. Unless you're down on Ohio St. which is a little seedy. 3 or 4 blocks in from the bluff is a different story, but I think the presence of the bluff raises housing values enough that the neighborhood becomes very nice. West of Smith is also very nice; the further east of Smith you get the seedier it becomes, but it never becomes seedy enough that the average city person would feel uncomfortable walking around at night. The West Side is a very nice, yet affordable, neighborhood. But it's somewhat patchy block to block. The specific locale you mention is very nice.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 AM

Thanks so much, that's very helpful! It seems a bit like a hidden gem to me, but I wasn't sure so I really value people's opinions.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Any other thoughts from people who know the area?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
With the exception of a couple blocks along the cliffs the West Side is not a nice area. It is a high crime area with a lot of issues. The schools there are some of the worst in the nation, so bad they closed down the high school to "reorganize". It's too bad that area has fallen into such disrepair because there were some amazing houses over there. The city tried, and failed, to revitalize the area. Move a few blocks south into West St. Paul--south of Annapolis and you will be much happier and much better off.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the input. It certainly is a charming looking little community up on the bluffs and several blocks in for having such a reputation. I'm surprised at that considering Mayor Coleman lives there.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jairae View Post
Thanks for the input. It certainly is a charming looking little community up on the bluffs and several blocks in for having such a reputation. I'm surprised at that considering Mayor Coleman lives there.
He lives on the Bluffs and certainly did not send his kids to the local schools...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Yes, I assumed as much. I would have been shocked if he had, even if he lived in Edina.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,015 times
This thread has piqued my interest in wanting to check out what is being referred to as "the bluff" or "the bluffs" the next time I am in the area (am usually am on the West Side at least a handful of times a year)- what intersection or blocks should I target to find the areas being referenced (or others in vicinity)? -Have always been a fan of little-known enclaves, and residential areas with good views.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Just over the Smith St. bridge and the road following the bluffs, and some blocks that go in from the bluffs parallel to Smith. Some homes are very well-kept and adorable, while random ones here and there look rundown. I saw several women walking their dogs alone this weekend, moms with strollers, and the views are incredible, but the West Side in general has quite the reputation as being bad. I don't have kids so schools aren't a factor, but I want to feel safe and I'd like to hear more from people who actually live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul