Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Kingfield used to have a bit more crime, and is still closer to some of the higher crime areas of South Minneapolis (the few remaining ones) -- although I don't believe crime is much of an issue anymore there. It's also not quite as charming as Linden Hills, but that's about it for the "cons", otherwise, it's a great deal!
Any crime issues in Kingfield were in the past by a more than decade. I've been here that long, and Kingfield has been on the upswing the whole time. As far as charm goes, I think if you look at an intersection like 46th and Nicollet, i'd agree that it has more of an urban feel than small town charm, but I'd put 46th and Grand on the same scale of charming as Linden Hills. There also seems to be less development pressure in Kingfield than Linden Hills has been experiencing. Linden Hills just had a near miss on a permanent loss of charming with the multi story apartment building that almost went in on the Famous Dave's site, so who knows how long the feel of the commercial node will last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 PM

67 posts, read 115,962 times
Thanks Glenfield for the info. Is the lake close enough proximity to walk there regularly from Kingfield? This area is starting to look more like what we want and can afford. I especially like how many rec centers are in the area, and the farmers market looks great.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroane View Post
Thanks Glenfield for the info. Is the lake close enough proximity to walk there regularly from Kingfield? This area is starting to look more like what we want and can afford. I especially like how many rec centers are in the area, and the farmers market looks great.
Yes, Lake Harriet is 10 blocks from us. From our house, around the lake, and back home is five miles total. We're also just about 6 blocks north of Minnehaha Parkway, and we bike the parkway more often than we do the lakes. It's a very reasonable ride from here to Minnehaha Falls. If your kids are soccer players, look into Fuller Soccer at Fuller Park (48th and Harriet) or Minneapolis United at Pearl Park (Portland and Diamond Lake Rd.) Both have decent websites. Also check out the tennis instructions at King Park. You'll like it here.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Wow, that sounds amazing! My little girls will love it hear. I think this area just made the top of our list. We can't wait to come visit in early October, and hopefully be renting in the area spring of next year. Thanks again for sharing!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Yes, easy walk to the lake from Kingfield, and yes, it's very family-friendly. I think Kingfield's main negative (to me; this doesn't matter to most people) is that there isn't a neighborhood "core" or downtown, but that's true of most Minneapolis neighborhoods. Kingfield has an incredibly active community organization, and seems to attract a lot of people who were looking for a cheaper alternative to Uptown (and apparently Linden Hills, too.). Both Kingfield and Lyndale seem to have attracted what I think of as the stereotypical Minneapolis families -- not sure if Glenfield agrees with this or not, but my vision of the classic Lyndale or Kingfield parent would be a liberal arts major now working in advertising or at a nonprofit, shops local, rides a bike everywhere (with kids in tow, of course), has or is considering adding a chicken coop to the backyard, and likes to kick back with locally-brewed craft beer and organic locally-sourced salsa. (or maybe those are just my friends. But I think you'll find a lot of them in the area.)

Fuller Park has a lot of programs and events for kids. Washburn Library is not in Kingfield, but is pretty close; it's great for kids (and adults).

If you're starting to look at that side of the lake you may also want to consider the adjacent Lyndale neighborhood; you have to pay more attention to specific location there than you do in Kingfield (Lyndale has some very nice parts, as well as a few spots where crime becomes a bigger issue), but it may be worth adding to the list. Painter Park is nice, the neighborhood organization is incredibly active (they won a big national award at one point in the past, and have a model for how a community has worked to turn itself around from some rough years in the early 90s), there are some very nice houses, and the combination of location and affordability seem to really be drawing families these days. It puts you fairly close to both Lake Calhoun and Harriet (easy bike ride to either), as well as closer to Uptown. There's a lot of overlap between Kingfield and Lyndale, so keep it in mind when looking at the listings.

FWIW, I don't have any good friends with kids at Lyndale School, but the parents that I've met with kids there seem to be very happy. My impression is that they have a solid foundation of active community parents who are working hard to support the school and its students. They've gained quite a local reputation for their "walking school bus" (which serves, I believe, both Kingfield and Lyndale neighborhoods).

Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Yes, easy walk to the lake from Kingfield, and yes, it's very family-friendly. I think Kingfield's main negative (to me; this doesn't matter to most people) is that there isn't a neighborhood "core" or downtown, but that's true of most Minneapolis neighborhoods. Kingfield has an incredibly active community organization, and seems to attract a lot of people who were looking for a cheaper alternative to Uptown (and apparently Linden Hills, too.). Both Kingfield and Lyndale seem to have attracted what I think of as the stereotypical Minneapolis families -- not sure if Glenfield agrees with this or not, but my vision of the classic Lyndale or Kingfield parent would be a liberal arts major now working in advertising or at a nonprofit, shops local, rides a bike everywhere (with kids in tow, of course), has or is considering adding a chicken coop to the backyard, and likes to kick back with locally-brewed craft beer and organic locally-sourced salsa. (or maybe those are just my friends. But I think you'll find a lot of them in the area.)

Fuller Park has a lot of programs and events for kids. Washburn Library is not in Kingfield, but is pretty close; it's great for kids (and adults).

If you're starting to look at that side of the lake you may also want to consider the adjacent Lyndale neighborhood; you have to pay more attention to specific location there than you do in Kingfield (Lyndale has some very nice parts, as well as a few spots where crime becomes a bigger issue), but it may be worth adding to the list. Painter Park is nice, the neighborhood organization is incredibly active (they won a big national award at one point in the past, and have a model for how a community has worked to turn itself around from some rough years in the early 90s), there are some very nice houses, and the combination of location and affordability seem to really be drawing families these days. It puts you fairly close to both Lake Calhoun and Harriet (easy bike ride to either), as well as closer to Uptown. There's a lot of overlap between Kingfield and Lyndale, so keep it in mind when looking at the listings.

FWIW, I don't have any good friends with kids at Lyndale School, but the parents that I've met with kids there seem to be very happy. My impression is that they have a solid foundation of active community parents who are working hard to support the school and its students. They've gained quite a local reputation for their "walking school bus" (which serves, I believe, both Kingfield and Lyndale neighborhoods).
I'd agree with almost everything you say here. I would say the Kingfield does have a central business district in Nicollet Ave., but it's been spotty over the years, so we had turned our back to it. Now, we see more interesting restaurants, like Blackbird, moving to Nicollet, and the neighborhood association (KFNA) has done a great job of supporting it through projects like the farmers' market and the Wall Dogs mural project. Have you ever noticed the shrink wrap murals that wrap the utility boxes in Kingfield, like the one at 46th and Lyndale? It's an example of how the KFNA can creatively address potential problems, in this case graffiti. Your description of the residents is pretty much spot on, and funny. Probably a few more government and healthcare workers among us, too.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info uptown. As far as determining the safety of an area in Lyndale, how would you do that? Can you tell by the quality of the housing, streets, lights, etc...? Or is there some other way in figuring out if an area in this neighborhood is safe? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM

70 posts, read 120,302 times
I don't think you can ever determine if any area is "safe" Things happen and being at the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time and you could be a victim, but unless you are psychic, you never know. The best waty to find out about crime in any area is to go to the source. Contact the local police department, they can give you stats for any area you are considering, usually down to a block by block areas. Also you can check any area in Minnesota for sexual offenders by going to the website at www.corr.state.mn.us.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroane View Post
Thanks for the info uptown. As far as determining the safety of an area in Lyndale, how would you do that? Can you tell by the quality of the housing, streets, lights, etc...? Or is there some other way in figuring out if an area in this neighborhood is safe? Thanks!
This is a good resource.

Precinct 5 Crime Maps - City of Minneapolis

Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Any crime issues in Kingfield were in the past by a more than decade. I've been here that long, and Kingfield has been on the upswing the whole time. As far as charm goes, I think if you look at an intersection like 46th and Nicollet, i'd agree that it has more of an urban feel than small town charm, but I'd put 46th and Grand on the same scale of charming as Linden Hills. There also seems to be less development pressure in Kingfield than Linden Hills has been experiencing. Linden Hills just had a near miss on a permanent loss of charming with the multi story apartment building that almost went in on the Famous Dave's site, so who knows how long the feel of the commercial node will last?
That was my understanding as well.

I know 46th & Grand and I don't think it's more charming than LH....but I don't think much is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul