Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,844,767 times

Advertisements

Thank you Slig and PeterPilotBoy for your comments.

I guess history repeats itself, or maybe closed-minded Americans self-perpetuate irrational fears and bias. It's funny reading posts from people saying that they would never live in this or that part of the city or the whole city itself - advising people to pretty much not even contemplate living somewhere other than a suburb with a sort of coded message about the threat of living in areas that are diverse in race, ethnicity, and/or incomes. I guess I thought that the whole "white flight" notion that has encapsulated America for several decades was and has been on its way out in recent years with the exception of those persons that grew up in very sheltered, rural existences. I guess I thought that this very mentality was being replaced by a more educated rationality, the desire to live close to where one works, and the desire to be greener and prevent the continuous spread of suburban sprawl.

This forum has made me realize that I was way off the mark, but to my credit, it's been a few years since I've watched the nightly news...

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 10-28-2007 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
The stats I've read say Brooklyn Park has a rating of 16 versus 7 for Minneapolis. (Higher is better and it is a score out of 100.) Louisville, KY for example has a score of 97. Cincinnati, OH is a 4. The infamous BRONX, NY - 24. That's right folks. Per ca-pita there is less crime in The Bronx than in Minneapolis. Violent crime, however, is lower. (Rape, Murder) Minneapolis has more robbery and assault (per-ca-pita).

Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,711,416 times
Just don't refer to 'North Minneapolis' as 'Northern Minneapolis' ever again. That's my input to this already beaten-into-the-ground subject.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,844,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
The stats I've read say Brooklyn Park has a rating of 16 versus 7 for Minneapolis. (Higher is better and it is a score out of 100.) Louisville, KY for example has a score of 97. Cincinnati, OH is a 4. The infamous BRONX, NY - 24. That's right folks. Per ca-pita there is less crime in The Bronx than in Minneapolis. Violent crime, however, is lower. (Rape, Murder) Minneapolis has more robbery and assault (per-ca-pita).
I've never come across any online "stats" for crime comparisons between cities that have any semblence of a scientific methodology to them, and/or where gross glaring errors in the methodologies used weren't the norm. Different cities/states capture and record crimes so differently it's almost impossible to compare anyways, not to mention the fact that Minneapolis' "per capita" crime stats are generally very skewed in comparison to other large metro areas as the population/area of the core city is so small for a city/metro area of its size.

Bottom line- have very little trust for any online crime comparisons across cities/states- unless it's something that came directly from the government (well, sometimes), scholarly research journals, or had legitimate/respected researchers working on the data. The fact that you didn't post to your source makes me think you may have already been aware of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul