Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 PM

20 posts, read 36,739 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Minneapolis, and wanted suggestions for suburbs.

We are both in our early 40's, and have 2 boys (age 9&12). We're mildly conservative, and would be moving from the South. I would be commuting to the city, but due to kids, and our own personal preferences, would likely be commuting. I have used the airport light rail, and it seems quite nice. I know nothing about the other rail transport options.

Looking for the usual suspects; safe place, good schools; preferably with easy acess to airport and MSP downtown area. We lean slightly conservative, so that's preferred if possible. Our current home is 2500 sq ft, on half acre. What are the odds / price range I can expect to try replicating.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
My inclination would be that you're best off looking towards Rosemount/Apple Valley/Lakeville or other southern suburbs, depending on how far out you want to get. The suburbs that direction are conservative, have decent schools, and would put you on the right side of the metro area for the airport. There are express commuter buses that would make for a (relatively) easy commute to downtown. I'll leave others with more expertise in those areas fill in the details, though!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My inclination would be that you're best off looking towards Rosemount/Apple Valley/Lakeville or other southern suburbs, depending on how far out you want to get. The suburbs that direction are conservative, have decent schools, and would put you on the right side of the metro area for the airport. There are express commuter buses that would make for a (relatively) easy commute to downtown. I'll leave others with more expertise in those areas fill in the details, though!
Given your request for easy access to MSP, I would be inclined to agree. If that was not as important, then I might have considered some of the northern suburbs as they would likely fit the house/lot size request and lean conservative. However, they would not be convenient for airport access.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Thanks. I should add that commute time is also important. I currently live 5 minutes from work, and know I'm going to be losing on that front, but ease and travel time still matter. Riding the light rail, I've gotten off at the Metrodome and walked a few blocks to work, so that should factor in, I guess.

What are commute times and complexities from northern vs southern suburbs? I would trade easy access to the Metrodome area over proximity to the airport.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn02 View Post
Thanks. I should add that commute time is also important. I currently live 5 minutes from work, and know I'm going to be losing on that front, but ease and travel time still matter. Riding the light rail, I've gotten off at the Metrodome and walked a few blocks to work, so that should factor in, I guess.

What are commute times and complexities from northern vs southern suburbs? I would trade easy access to the Metrodome area over proximity to the airport.

Thanks.
From our house in Rosemount to the Metrodome is 30 minutes in moderate traffic. Depending on the time of your commute, it will be that or maybe 15 minutes more. I would suggest looking on the East Side of the metro as well if you would rather be closer to the Metrodome. Mahtomedi and Mounds View would be the top areas to consider. Housing in Mahtomedi is expensive, plan on at least $350,000 for what you want but probably more like $500,000+. Mounds View and the southern areas suggested you can probably be in the $250,000-350,000 range depending on where exactly. Mounds View will be similar to the southern suburbs. All of these will give you a fairly easy commute to the airport, and really no issues with a commute if you are going at non-rush hour times. The main benefit of the southern suburbs over the eastern suburbs is that you have more route options into Minneapolis so if there is construction or an accident it's more easily avoided. You also have the option of the HOV lane on 35W which is fantastic during rush hour. That would keep your commute in the 30 minute range. If you bus into work, either area is fine.

Also from the southern suburbs, you could drive to a park and ride lot for the light rail and ride that into work. It saves on parking fees downtown but takes longer. We usually use the lot near Fort Snelling because you miss a lot of stops. Doing that takes about 45 minutes though, non-rush hour time.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:

Thanks.
If proximity to MSP is negotiable, then it could open northern suburbs. Moundsview would be an option, along with New Brighton - Moundsview might be more likely to get you a home on the size requirements you are seeking. Both are near I-35W which would be a straight shot to Washington Avenue exit (which would be near the Metrodome). You'll likely encounter traffic, so I would estimate 25 minute with some traffic, depending on exactly where in those cities (though add time in winter storm driving, though that's anywhere). Mahtomedi would also be an option, though as mentioned by GG, prices will increase. Finally, Blaine might be an option depending on where in that city. If you are relatively near US Hwy 10, which connects to I-35W, it could be a commute of around 25-30 minutes. If you need one more suggestion, Little Canada. In the northern suburbs, prices seemed to be around $225K with older decor and up from there.

That said, if you will entertain using the light rail even this conservative that doesn't like the ongoing expenditure for the train says it's convenient to the Metrodome, and easier to the airport. That puts you back on the south suburbs as your likely option. Prices will be more expensive than north suburbs, probably starting around $25-50K more.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Eagan provided us with Tim Pawlenty. Is that conservative enough?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I've heard nice things about the southern suburbs (Eagan included). One question I would have is airport noise. Any idea how prevalent it is? Also, which areas are known for being walkable, etc. Where we currently live, we have easy access to WalMart, Sam's Club, and kids activities to (hopefully) keep them busy. :-)

I've heard good things about Maple Grove and Plymouth, but also that they're expensive, and more liberal areas. True or no? We're pretty low key people; not interested in "keeping up with the Jones'" either.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,256,259 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input. I've heard nice things about the southern suburbs (Eagan included). One question I would have is airport noise. Any idea how prevalent it is? Also, which areas are known for being walkable, etc. Where we currently live, we have easy access to WalMart, Sam's Club, and kids activities to (hopefully) keep them busy. :-)

I've heard good things about Maple Grove and Plymouth, but also that they're expensive, and more liberal areas. True or no? We're pretty low key people; not interested in "keeping up with the Jones'" either.
For political leanings of areas I would suggest looking at the voting maps by precinct from the Minnesota Attorney General. Here's a link to the 2010 maps:
Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State : 2010 Election Maps

I would focus on the statewide offices that don't depend all that heavily on the personality of the particular candidates:
Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Auditor

The state house, state senate, and U.S. house races can be heavily influenced by particular candidates (an area that votes one way goes the other because one of the candidates is strong/weak).

Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
In short, the answer is no.

The basic tendency is for residents of the cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis to be more liberal, and suburbanites to be more conservative, though I am aware of many, many exceptions to this general rule. That said, and despite being a person who generally discourages people from trying to live among others who share their political leanings, there is a way to determine how any particular voting precinct leans by following this link, then going to the excel spreadsheet that gives state and federal results by precinct. Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State : 2010 Election Results

However, as a strong conservative living in very blue south Minneapolis, I would encourage you to put politics aside in your search. After all, most areas are split anyway, and you never know exactly what your neighbors will be like. Besides, it's more interesting talking politics with people who disagree with you than those who share your views, so long as you can both keep it from becoming personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul