Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 20,503 times

Advertisements

Hi -

My bf and I are planning to move to the twin cities. I'll be working in St Paul, and he will be just west of Mpls (St Louis Park area).

Any suggestions for places to live that are family friendly & would minimize our two different commute times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I would start looking in Eagan. It is a fairly easy commute for both of you. Otherwise, look someplace close to one job so only one of you has to commute.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Can you give some more details? Budget, preference for type of neighborhood, type of housing (renting? buying? Want a house, apartment, older home, new place, etc.) Age of kids? Do you want to walk to things, and, if so, what kind of things? Otherwise we can throw suggestions your way, but they'll be too broad to do much good. You'll find lots of family friendly neighborhoods to choose from, so anything you can do to narrow down your wish list will help.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM

We are looking to buy. Our budget is 250-350K for a 4 bdrm.

We don't have a lot of previous preference in terms of type of surroundings, but most likely we're thinking suburbs. The key for me is to understand what options we have as far as commute, give that we'll be working in 2 separate & far apart locations.

In particular, my questions are:

1. Is there a good place in between (or roughly equidistant from) St Paul and St Louis Park that would make both of our commutes not too terrible?

2. If we do decide to live near 1 person's work, and only have to deal with 1 commute, which is the better option?

Old 12-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Do you have kids yet or are they in the plans for the near future? If so, you will want one person to be closeish to home if you plan on doing day care. Given your recent information I would still stick with the Eagan area. It is very family friendly, great schools, and fairly easy commutes to both St. Paul and St. Louis Park.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
To answer #1, a good place equidistant from both areas is the city of Minneapolis- there are plenty of great neighborhoods in Minneapolis itself- I'm not sure where you're coming from, but there are a lot of leafy quiet residential neighborhoods within the bounds of the city that might be close to the feel you are looking for- there's not much for newer housing stock within the city, however, if that's a concern.

If commute is one of your #1 concerns, I'm not sure Eagan is a place to look- I have coworkers that live in Eagan and commute to DT area of Minneapolis- they complain quite frequently about their commute times, and actually I don't think I've ever heard anyone I know personally say positive things about commute times from south of the river if they're working in one of the cities.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 PM

If the commute from Eagan is not good, what is a better alternative? How is the commute from St Louis Park/nearby suburbs to St Paul, or vice versa?

I'd prefer to stay away from the city of Minneapolis itself, primarily due to cost & schools.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Take a look at Roseville or St. Anthony Village. Both suburbs, roughly equidistant from DT St Paul and St Louis Pk.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam423 View Post
If the commute from Eagan is not good, what is a better alternative? How is the commute from St Louis Park/nearby suburbs to St Paul, or vice versa?

I'd prefer to stay away from the city of Minneapolis itself, primarily due to cost & schools.
I will disagree with those that say the commute from Eagan is not good. Take it from someone that actually drives on those roads, it is NOT a bad commute to St. Paul or to St. Louis Park. Since you are not commuting to downtown Minneapolis the point they bring up is not relevant, plus, they hate the suburbs and will try to steer you away from anything suburban. There is nothing wrong with Eagan. Also, you have several commuting routes to take to both places so if traffic is bad on one road you have several other options.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would start looking in Eagan. It is a fairly easy commute for both of you. Otherwise, look someplace close to one job so only one of you has to commute.
Maybe they should just commute from South Dakota then? Eagan.......jeesh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul