Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,029 times

Advertisements

My husband is heading for a job in Rochester. But I prefer the twin city area, because of job opportunities for me. Could anyone suggest an area to live for us? We have to consider: 1. his commute (in the snowy MN!) 2. School district. We have a 2 yr old and we are huge on education. I know there are some awesome public schools in the twin city area, but I don't know if there are any along the southern suburbs... We don't mind private school (if they are good). Tuition is not an issue.
I am also looking for a neighborhood that is good for establishing small businesses...

Thanks in advance!
SWL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Why do you think that you won't have opportunities in Rochester? Even from the southern suburbs you are looking at 45 minutes MINIMUM for a commute to Rochester, each way. Does your Dh really want to add 2 hours to his work day, 2 hours away from your son, so you can live in the metro area? There is plenty to do in Rochester and it's close enough to the cities that you can drive up for a day here and there to go to a museum or whatever.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why do you think that you won't have opportunities in Rochester? Even from the southern suburbs you are looking at 45 minutes MINIMUM for a commute to Rochester, each way. Does your Dh really want to add 2 hours to his work day, 2 hours away from your son, so you can live in the metro area? There is plenty to do in Rochester and it's close enough to the cities that you can drive up for a day here and there to go to a museum or whatever.
I agree with golfgal that a Rochester/ Twin Cities commute is not reasonable. I am not sure what your line of work is, but Rochester is a pretty good sized city and a fairly prosperous one at that. If you husband has already accepted a position it's late in the game to be still working this out, so maybe you'd like some views on opportunities there in your field.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,029 times
Thanks for your suggestions. But we did look. Both being academia, there are only 1-2 colleges/universities in Rochester and they don't have the disciplines that I work in. So the chances of me finding a job in my area is zero... He currently has a 45 min. commute and so do I, so to some degree, we are use to that...

Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Rosemount is going to put you close to Highway 52 and in a top school district and would be the last "best" district that is still in the metro area. I would look also in Northfield as there are 2 colleges, Carleton and St. Olaf, and a similar commute to Rochester, about 45 minutes but not technically in the "metro" area but close enough. Rosemount to Rochester is an hour in good weather. Keep in mind that an hour commute in mostly rural farm land in MN is quite different then you will find in a 45 minute commute in a major metro area. I would suggest making plans for overnight stays in Rochester as needed because there will be times where he just won't be able to get home in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul