Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,084 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a home in Robbinsdale just west of hwy 100. I work in Eden Prairie near where 494 and 62 cross. Can anyone tell me about how long would the commute be? My hours are 8:30 - 5pm.
I haven't seen anything in/near Eden Prairie that's affordable and have been commuting from Eagan - would Robbinsdale be any better or just as big of a headache?
Thanks so much

Last edited by rlh725; 01-03-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
Actually, I think the commute from Robbinsdale to Eden Prairie won't be as bad as it is from Eagan. Traveling southbound on Highway 100 in the morning isn't too much of a headache other than through the small bottleneck you'll encounter for the stretch between 394 and Highway 7. Once you're past Highway 7, southbound 100 generally flows well and going westbound on 62 (towards 494) from 100 is also fine as most of the heavy traffic from Crosstown has thinned out by that point.

I think a commute from Eagan is much tougher because traveling at peak hours on 494 west through Bloomington/Richfield guarantees you'll encounter some of the worst traffic congestion in the Twin Cities, whereas you're already past the worst of it if you come from Robbinsdale.

That being said, MNDOT has plans to fix the last substandard part of Highway 100 starting next year through 2016. Although the rebuild will ultimately alleviate the bottleneck at Highway 7, I'm sure the two years it will take to reconstruct the freeway will cause new (albeit temporary) traffic headaches, so that is something you may wish to consider as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 PM

812 posts, read 2,171,804 times
I'm in Robbinsdale and have commuted to Eden Prairie many times half an hour earlier, it takes about half an hour. It seems to take longer coming home than it does going. I think since you're going in at 8:30 you can take 100 up to 62 but avoid 62 like the plague after work, you're better of dealing with 169 and 394 although that's not the most fun either. I don't know much about Eagan by coworkers from Apple Valley and South Minneapolis didn't love that commute either.

If you have options somewhere off of Shady Oak or Hopkins Crossroads may work better for you. We would often take that route to 394 so we didn't have to deal with traffic and it was a breeze. It was still have an hour to Robbinsdale but only about 15 minutes to 394.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Our neighborhood is adjacent to Robbinsdale- I have several neighbors that commute to Edina on Highway 100 every day that seem fairly happy with their commutes having lived in other places. The handful of times I've had to be in Edina or W Bloomington for morning meetings have been pretty easy commutes as well. I can't imagine the stretch of 62 to Eden Prairie would be too bad in the mornings, not sure about coming home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul