Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 10,068 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are moving from the Carver area. It was too far out from the rest of the metro...we have been thinking of Bloomington, however, are a bit scared off by the lack of younger families. We love the location and my hubby works in Minnetonka, so the commute would not be bad. We have two young children, so school would eventually be a concern, but Bloomington schools seem to be fine. We are really 'burb type people, so no S. Minneapolis or even Edina suggestions. The other area we are considering is Eagan. Would that be an insane drive for my hubby?? Does Eagan have a "younger" vibe. I know that it is also an established suburb so there won't be tons of young people either. I'm not saying we have to live by all young families, but I do know that many parts of Bloomington are 60+ year old people who have been in their homes forever with no intention of leaving until they have to.

I guess I'm just looking at some feedback about Bloomington and Eagan. Any advice or suggestions would be GREAT! Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
I'm curious. If you're husband is in Minnetonka why not look at the western suburbs? I don't think you'd gain much time going from Carver to Eagan. There's Plymouth, New Hope, Hopkins, Golden Valley and other suburbs that are a lot closer. They are established areas but in all of them you'll find a mix between young and older families. Many of these areas are turning over now.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
I think Bloomington is as young as any city....what makes you think it's not?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Logical questions...
As for the western suburbs--that would make the most sense, but we don't want to be in a school district such as Wayzata or Eden Prairie that are so large. We also have more family in the east metro. Bloomington is probably as west as we would like to go.

I don't know...it just seems Bloomington is an older community. Obviously there are young families, but not by abundance. I guess it's true that there will eventually start to be turn-over. Carver was TONS of kids everywhere, and I understand that new developments draw younger crowds. I would rather live in an older house with a mix of young/old than so far out. I just thought Eagan may be an option that it's still a younger community that isn't so far out.

Last edited by hair100; 01-29-2013 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: add more text

Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I agree, based on the declining enrollment in the schools, Bloomington is an aging community. I would look at Maple Grove. It's a very young community, easy enough to get to the east suburbs to see family, schools are good. Chaska would be another option. I would hate the Eagan to Minnetonka commute unless your DH works off hours.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
To the OP, I take it you aren't very familiar with the Twin Cities? Otherwise, please explain to me how Bloomington and Eagan are more suburban than Edina, especially the part of Edina west of Hwy 100? Burb folk or not, I think writing off Edina is a bit silly, especially given where your husband works and your apparent concern for school quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would hate the Eagan to Minnetonka commute unless your DH works off hours.
I would hate that commute too, which is why I'm glad I didn't heed your advice to buy in Eagan back in 2007-2008 when I was house-hunting

Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
To the OP, I take it you aren't very familiar with the Twin Cities? Otherwise, please explain to me how Bloomington and Eagan are more suburban than Edina, especially the part of Edina west of Hwy 100? Burb folk or not, I think writing off Edina is a bit silly, especially given where your husband works and your apparent concern for school quality.

I would hate that commute too, which is why I'm glad I didn't heed your advice to buy in Eagan back in 2007-2008 when I was house-hunting
Except that you were working in Eagan back then, you hate your commute now too so what's the difference?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Unless you stay in a similar neighborhood you're going to find that most of the inner suburbs are a mixture. I'm finding that's not impossible though. While not every home has a family with kids you'll still find several within a few blocks. You'll also find it varies a lot by neighborhood and I think your realtor could steer you toward a neighborhood that has a higher density of kids.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM

I don't want to offend anybody or start anything...we like the Edina location, but we are not rich and don't know if we would fit in Edina. I certainly know everybody there is not rich and we don't know anybody who personally lives there, but from the reputation and other forums it sounds like it's not us.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hair100 View Post
I don't want to offend anybody or start anything...we like the Edina location, but we are not rich and don't know if we would fit in Edina. I certainly know everybody there is not rich and we don't know anybody who personally lives there, but from the reputation and other forums it sounds like it's not us.
Edina is just expensive. I have to agree that there is a lot of keeping up with the Jones' there. It's not us either. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul