Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:27 AM

69 posts, read 114,053 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be starting a new job @ thomson, and was wondering if anybody had recommendations for a place to live?

I'm from Iowa, well whatever! My short list:

Richfield, MN
Mendota, MN

the area around the ford motor company i.e. Ford Parkway, etc.

If you put these places down on Google Maps, you'll see I've picked all the 3 places which have a 15 or less commute time (as per the map) to Minneapolis Airport, the Thomson building in Eagan, Mn, and downtown minneapolis. All 3 important destinatesions for me

I'll be renting a 1br apt. Are these safe places to live?

Is there a good property rental place that has places in this area, etc?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 06:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Eagan would be a good place to start if you are looking to rent. There are many apartment/townhome complexes there, right of 35E, that would be convenient to both Thompson and Minneapolis. You won't find much for rent in Mendota and it's neighboring town of Mendota Heights and what is there will be on the more expensive side. Richfield is a bit sketchier, older suburb but still some nicer areas. Inver Grove Heights is also a nice area with a lot of rentals. Highland Park (the area around the old Ford Plant) is also going to be more expensive but safe and easy commute. All of these places are safe.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 PM

69 posts, read 114,053 times
thanks a bunch.. I'm not choosing Eagan for the simple reason that it's a bit further from Downtown.

I'm 22 years old, gonna be living alone for a year, so would like the downtown be *really* close, but then again work is money, so...

What do you mean by sketchier?

Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM

138 posts, read 627,617 times
There are many great lofts to rent and/or buy in downtown Minneapolis. You also might look in the Uptown area. The flavor there is more for young adults. You'll have no trouble finding fun places to eat, drink, and shop. It's on the south end of town so your drive won't be that horrendous.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:19 PM

60 posts, read 191,231 times
you may enjoy the highland park neighborhood of st paul, that is the one by the ford plant. when i lived there, there was only one bar though, but I am very sure that has changed. we lived in the apartments that are on saunders and st paul avenue, they were clean and priced right. if you want to stay close to work you do not want to look in uptown, it will be a huge headache to get to work. from highland park you can hop on 55 it is really easy to get to thomson.

Last edited by pollywannacracker; 10-27-2007 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 07:28 PM

102 posts, read 468,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspkiddo View Post
thanks a bunch.. I'm not choosing Eagan for the simple reason that it's a bit further from Downtown.

I'm 22 years old, gonna be living alone for a year, so would like the downtown be *really* close, but then again work is money, so...

no offense but golfgal believes anything outside of eagan or rosemont is sketchy. We lived in MPLS for 6+ years and NEVER felt unsafe anywhere. Since you'll be traveling or working @ MSP living in the city near a light-rail would be ideal. nothing wrong with any area along the tracks.

LIVE in the CITY your 22!!!! You'll HATE Eagan!!!!!

If you drive you'll have little or NO traffic reverse commuting living in the city.

We resided in the Loring Park (zip 55403) area we had 1 stoplight to east94 and 2 to w94 or 394 woohoo. Walkable to Downtown 15min. have to take bus to uptown or 45 min walk.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
Richfield isnt bad. I lived there for a few years and liked it okay. I far prefer living in the city proper but its a close enough suburb that it is difficult to tell it from the outer reaches of Minneapolis. Straight shot down Nicolett or Lyndale for maybe 10 min and you're in uptown, another 5 and you're downtown.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspkiddo View Post

If you want nightlife and whatever, none of the towns on your list are going to give you that. Richfield and Mendota will be worse then Eagan for things to do.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:40 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Richfield, worse than Eagan. That's just not true. Eagan is busy, and has lots of retail. But Saturday nights for a 22 year old should not include Target! Richfield at least has some restaurants and bars. It is more convenient to the city than Eagan. Richfield is a little sketchy, you see some weird people around. It is not unsafe. It is really diverse as far as suburbs go. A heavy influence of Hispanics and Seniors. Parts of Richfield are more urban than parts of Mpls. The city has convenient access to the city (15 minute buses) and the airport. The city is mostly post-war bungalows, but there is high density areas around Lyndale and Nicollet. The Highland Park area is family orientated, but is convenient, safer than Richfield, and has better general amenities. I would stear away from Eagan and Mendota, they are suburbs, any very suburby at that. The South Mpls. area and suburbs are pretty safe. Use (or get) some city senses, and know when you are in a bad area. IMO, it is pretty apparent. Good Luck
---Minnehahapolitan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul