Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times

Advertisements

BRT can go from anywhere to anywhere. Really, data on where passengers most want to go is the basis. If they don't go the route you want, then you are too at odds with all the other potential customers along the line. I'm sure the transit authorities have data from which they route these things. Those who dislike the service choices need to find out something about that data. You can't expect mass transit to accommodate a sprinkling of people with odd transportation needs. All these things require public funds, and every attempt to raise taxes is fought fiercely at the state level. Our decades of trying to be "Little LA" are coming back to haunt us. The suburban real estate developers sold houses based on the idea "Oh, they'll have cars that will take them everywhere".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM

152 posts, read 290,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'm assuming Red Line is a prototype for our area. Until you take something out of the lab and test it in the real world, you don't do the best job of configuring it. From that I infer: the prototype will be improved. And the second line will be better. That's about what you can hope for with anything.
The Snelling Ave/Ford Parkway line is to be next. Should be running by 2015. The MetCouncil has said they intend to have 6 BRT lines by 2020, plus 3 more by 2030.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM

573 posts, read 1,050,430 times
I'm all for public transportation. That being said I think the redline is a really stupid idea that will fail. 975 projected riders is not going to happen. Even if 1600 people ride this daily in the future i still feel 120 million dollars to build this line is way to much for such a small amount of people. Why would people feel the need to use this line? I don't understand this line at all. I think following through with the orange line would have been a way better option for a starter line. This red line will fail because it only takes people to the moa. Who cares if it connects to the light rail. People who would use the redline to transfer to the light rail would either be going to the airport or downtown. Downtown would be an additional 45 minute train ride to how ever long the redline commute was. 1.2 million dollars for every 16 riders if this line reaches its goal.

Last edited by MPLS_TC; 06-22-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
I'm all for public transportation. That being said I think the redline is a really stupid idea that will fail. 975 projected riders is not going to happen. Even if 1600 people ride this daily in the future i still feel 120 million dollars to build this line is way to much for such a small amount of people. Why would people feel the need to use this line? I don't understand this line at all. I think following through with the orange line would have been a way better option for a starter line. This red line will fail because it only takes people to the moa. Who cares if it connects to the light rail. People who would use the redline to transfer to the light rail would either be going to the airport or downtown. Downtown would be an additional 45 minute train ride to how ever long the redline commute was. 1.2 million dollars for every 16 riders if this line reaches its goal.
Well, spend a morning at the AV transit station and you might get a different viewpoint....

Old 06-22-2013, 02:47 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, spend a morning at the AV transit station and you might get a different viewpoint....
Absolutely! Indeed, a great point. All three level's of the parking structure are filled at the Apple Valley Transit station each day, and it is the same story at the multi-level parking structures at Park and Rides in Burnsville , Eagan , Eden Prairie , Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove , Coon Rapids , Blaine , Roseville , and soon when the Maplewood Mall Parking Ramp opens in the Southwest Corner of the shopping mall, every parking space will be filled too.

Back to the Apple Valley Transit Station, often overlooked is weekend usage. Even though there are not a lot of cars in the parking structure, I have seen a number of people ride the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority non-express buses on Saturday's as they have routes up Cedar Avenue to Mall of America. I have seen people walk from the townhomes and apartments located behind Red Robin and the Carmike Cinema's movie theatre on 155th and Cedar then board the bus. I have also seen employees from nearby retailers at the AV Transit Station getting on an off the bus on weekends in their blue shirts with the Best Buy logo on them along with SuperTarget employee's wearing red who transfer to/from the Hiawatha Rail Line or Metro Transit buses at Mall of America.

On weekdays, I agree there should be more bus lines moving east and west feeding into the Ceadr Ave. B.R.T. (Red Line) along County Road 42, Mc Andrews and other east-west arteries in A.V. Eagan and down in Lakeville as well. Then upon arriving at MOA or the the 28th Avenue rail Parking Garage, there should be connecting bus lines traveing form MOA along American Boulevard all the way west towards France Avenue ending at either Normandale Blvd or Bush lake Road. This would provide service to those working in the numerous office complexes on the I-494 strip.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Absolutely! Indeed, a great point. All three level's of the parking structure are filled at the Apple Valley Transit station each day, and it is the same story at the multi-level parking structures at Park and Rides in Burnsville , Eagan , Eden Prairie , Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove , Coon Rapids , Blaine , Roseville , and soon when the Maplewood Mall Parking Ramp opens in the Southwest Corner of the shopping mall, every parking space will be filled too.

Back to the Apple Valley Transit Station, often overlooked is weekend usage. Even though there are not a lot of cars in the parking structure, I have seen a number of people ride the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority non-express buses on Saturday's as they have routes up Cedar Avenue to Mall of America. I have seen people walk from the townhomes and apartments located behind Red Robin and the Carmike Cinema's movie theatre on 155th and Cedar then board the bus. I have also seen employees from nearby retailers at the AV Transit Station getting on an off the bus on weekends in their blue shirts with the Best Buy logo on them along with SuperTarget employee's wearing red who transfer to/from the Hiawatha Rail Line or Metro Transit buses at Mall of America.

On weekdays, I agree there should be more bus lines moving east and west feeding into the Ceadr Ave. B.R.T. (Red Line) along County Road 42, Mc Andrews and other east-west arteries in A.V. Eagan and down in Lakeville as well. Then upon arriving at MOA or the the 28th Avenue rail Parking Garage, there should be connecting bus lines traveing form MOA along American Boulevard all the way west towards France Avenue ending at either Normandale Blvd or Bush lake Road. This would provide service to those working in the numerous office complexes on the I-494 strip.
Don't suggest public transit where people actually drive or suggest the people actually walk in the suburbs---you will get jumped on by the city dwellers .

There is a pretty steady line of buses leaving the transit station now for the express route to downtown. I suspect having the option to the MOA is going to increase that. That lot is always full, ramp, lot and the overflow lot at the old station.

Weekends I see a lot of kids taking the bus up to the mall or to Twins games, etc.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Don't suggest public transit where people actually drive or suggest the people actually walk in the suburbs---you will get jumped on by the city dwellers .

There is a pretty steady line of buses leaving the transit station now for the express route to downtown. I suspect having the option to the MOA is going to increase that. That lot is always full, ramp, lot and the overflow lot at the old station.

Weekends I see a lot of kids taking the bus up to the mall or to Twins games, etc.
I don't know about "jumping", but in 40 years, I have seen precious little suburban walking. Seldom is there even a sidewalk out side of the near suburbs. Those who walk on the shoulder facing traffic are hardy pioneer types. If it was that common, there'd be all sorts of mass transit out there. Sponsor a referendum, ask "how often have you used anything but your private car to go anywhere". Talk about it in terms or reality, not fantasy.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post

I'd guess that most people on weekdays are taking the express buses downtown, though. As I've repeatedly stated previously, this line doesn't do anything existing service doesn't already provide. They didn't need a big fancy BRT line to make that service better.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
I'd guess that most people on weekdays are taking the express buses downtown, though. As I've repeatedly stated previously, this line doesn't do anything existing service doesn't already provide. They didn't need a big fancy BRT line to make that service better.
You don't need the light rail either, but they are spending money on that...

Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM

How come the south suburban legislators don't just MEET with their constituents and take the input back to the legislature. The wishes expressed here, though interesting, tell us almost nothing about what people down there are willing to pay for. If there's no cost, any group will want premier service. But throw a realistic cost at them and then see what people say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul