Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM

26 posts, read 80,043 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I moved to Eugene, Oregon almost 4 years ago from Bismarck, ND. We both grew up in Bismarck. I'm about to graduate from college - I'm a late bloomer, getting my BS at 34 - and we have been considering a move to the Twin Cities. We are having a really hard time with the decision. The weather in Eugene is fantastic, in that its not too extreme in summer or winter. We haven't shoveled or scraped a windshield since we moved here!

However, the employment situation out here is extremely dire. I have been getting a lot of interest from the folks at the State of Minnesota to the applications I have submitted. I have never lived in the Twin Cities, but my boyfriend did for a few years. I guess the downsides for us are the weather and the traffic. Eugene is a fairly small community and we are able to share a car between us because I can bike to work or take the bus when the weather's bad (which isn't very often.)

We are outdoorsy types. Love hiking and biking and disc golf. I know Minnesota offers a lot in those areas. We also have the benefit of having a group of friends in the Cities. Seems like everyone in our high school that wanted out of ND ended up in MN. We have had a really difficult time making friends here and I can't seem to pin down a reason. People are genuinely friendly, but no one really seems interested in developing friendships. I find it odd. Anyway, and, of course, it's nice to be within driving distance of family too.

I'm kind of rambling here. I guess we're just trying to weigh the pros and cons of a move back to the cold! Traffic is also an issue. I prefer not to be dependent on a vehicle. Is is possible to find a nice little starter house on a bus line in a safe area? We probably can't rent, we have two large dogs. My boyfriend says it will probably be pretty hard for us to find a place to live that is close to both of our places of employment.

I suppose it's not really a hard decision. Stay here where its beautiful and not too cold and be lonely and broke. Or move back to the frigid North and be employed with friends and family nearby. I just really, really dislike winter. But, hey, maybe if I end up with one of those state jobs, I'll be able to afford a sunny vacation in the middle of it. Does anyone know what it's like to work for the state?

Last edited by Annabell23; 08-23-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Don't want to discourage a move, but Washington state is better than Oregon. Of course, Hawaii is better than all, but I'm betting the cost of living there is outrageous.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM

I am checking out Washington... and Idaho, western Montana and Northern California. Really want to stay in the Pacific NW area. But, no love on the job hunt from anywhere other than MN. My degree is in environmental science and there's thousands of folks out here with those degrees. But, no one's offered me a job anywhere yet, so I'll just wait and see what happens. Patience has never really been my strong suit.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Well, if there is a "problem", it might be the fact that this part of the country is so far BEHIND in environmental responsibility. We've been much more submissive to business. Always takes more hands to catch up when you're decades behind. Still unable to put deposit on containers to get them returned. No discussion about how bad plastic bags are. I just got back from Portland and was told "we're moving towards a ban". The drag on any environmental movement is pretty significant. Even now, no one's telling Canada it can't run an oil pipeline through northern Minnesota. The 3,000 jobs being dangled is all it takes to melt political spines. But, hey, maybe some unemployed environmentalists in the PNW will get jobs out of this.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Money always wins over environmental issues. My education has been thoroughly depressing and slightly terrifying. My interest is specifically in watershed issues and MN offers a lot of jobs in that area. If I wanted to sell my soul to the devil, I could certainly stay out here and work for a logging company or move back to ND and make money from big oil. Don't want to do that. But, I do have a lot of student loans to consider, so I would like to find a job. I interned with a City out here doing public education and outreach - I think that's the key. I don't see city programs like that out there - or at least I haven't seen any open positions. Even out here, you still have people dumping herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers by the gallon on their lawns, right next to the storm drain that goes straight to the river and they have no idea the consequences. Eugene JUST passed the plastic bag ban this year. It's not perfect here by any means. We did get a report that our CO2 emissions are leveling off in Oregon. That's pretty awesome.

Report: Oregon

Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 PM

I do think that despite the retarded development of environmental policy here, there are opportunities here to be on the side of the angels. So that may be enough to lure conscientious people here for jobs. Frankly, we have more work to do.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM

Vast improvements are needed worldwide but, you know what they say, think globally, act locally. I personally think it would be better to win hearts and change minds in an area that needs it, rather than preaching to the choir. That being said, still not a fan of winter.

Specifically, my degree is a Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources, specializing in Natural Resource Policy & Management with a minor in Sociology. I've been a legal assistant for 13 years (worked through school). With the focus of my degree, I'm ripe for a bureaucratic job helping create some (hopefully) not retarded environmental policy. Thing is, those jobs wants folks with lots of experience and I've got none - that counts anyway. It's one of those sticky wickets, everyone wants experience so you can't get a job. It's my theory that by the time you get enough experience to get in those positions, you're either completely jaded from working in that bureaucratic mess for so many years or you just don't care that much anymore.

After working in an office for 13 years, I'd rather take one of the jobs out the field, rather than trying to work my way up into a policy job - which is why I'm trying to get into hydrology.

Anyway, it's good that MN is expanding their DNR workforce. In ND, even though the state has about a billion in surplus because of the oil boom and whatnot, they say they can't afford to keep enough people out there investigating illegal dumping by the oil companies. Seriously.

So, it could be worse.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
My dad was director at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency forever, was there for 30 or 40 years. He was a director of water something (I forget all the things he was the director of) He was also the president of ASTSWMO for some time Welcome to ASTSWMO
He's retired now, but still knows everyone there and seems to have connections with that whole industry. He loves to help people out, so if you'd have any questions about working state jobs, etc...he might be able to help if he can find time he's not golfing!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabell23 View Post
Vast improvements are needed worldwide but, you know what they say, think globally, act locally. I personally think it would be better to win hearts and change minds in an area that needs it, rather than preaching to the choir. That being said, still not a fan of winter.

Specifically, my degree is a Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources, specializing in Natural Resource Policy & Management with a minor in Sociology. I've been a legal assistant for 13 years (worked through school). With the focus of my degree, I'm ripe for a bureaucratic job helping create some (hopefully) not retarded environmental policy. Thing is, those jobs wants folks with lots of experience and I've got none - that counts anyway. It's one of those sticky wickets, everyone wants experience so you can't get a job. It's my theory that by the time you get enough experience to get in those positions, you're either completely jaded from working in that bureaucratic mess for so many years or you just don't care that much anymore.

After working in an office for 13 years, I'd rather take one of the jobs out the field, rather than trying to work my way up into a policy job - which is why I'm trying to get into hydrology.

Anyway, it's good that MN is expanding their DNR workforce. In ND, even though the state has about a billion in surplus because of the oil boom and whatnot, they say they can't afford to keep enough people out there investigating illegal dumping by the oil companies. Seriously.

So, it could be worse.

I completely connect w/ your sentiments regarding MN's winter and, IMO, folks west of the cascades tend to be a bit introverted; they seem to be shrouded in mist and clouds just like the landscape they come from. Typically I found it easier to make friends with transplants from east of the Cascades.

I'd say if you land a job that makes you happy and helps you shed student loan debt in MPLS it would be worth it to sacrifice mild winters. Don't know if kids are in the equation, but being close to family and friends w/ little ones is a huge help too. Plus, kids love snow and might help you enjoy the fun side of winter. Furthermore, the TC might well be in a banana belt soon if we keep ruining the environment like we are. (I'm mostly joking, but w/ a nervous laugh).

BTW, LOTS of folks commute by bicycle even through the winter in MPLS. It's amazing what well-chosen apparel and gritty determination can do! Good luck.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:34 PM

You could look for an NGO to become active in. Become more familiar with Minnesota's environment challenges. In meantime work at whatever you do have experience for. That's how I remained employed after college. Didn't work at my dream job. I needed to pay the rent and took what did that. But when you go to work at something unfulfilling, then unpaid activities in your preferred area help you make social contacts who are people like you. And maybe start developing a professional insight in the place you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul