Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

120 posts, read 470,921 times

Advertisements

Because you'd be so close in to the city. Rosemount?...You're at least a 30 minute drive to the city and a bit " cookie cutter" IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
I moved to Minneapolis from Sacramento, and let me tell you as fellow NorCal-you will find the average Twin Citian to be annoying.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:20 AM

175 posts, read 731,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I moved to Minneapolis from Sacramento, and let me tell you as fellow NorCal-you will find the average Twin Citian to be annoying.
Why is that? I am curious.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:25 AM

41 posts, read 129,049 times
Quote:

That's funny. I find the average Northern Californian annoying, hence the reason I want to leave. Let me tell you: we all think we live in the greatest place in the world. Get east of the Rockies and you will see what we are missing. Beautiful country, nice people, and clean highway rest stops! (lol) Mountains, redwoods and wine only go so far! The ocean is over rated because it is so dang cold up here. The only thing I know I will have to learn is that it is "pop" not "soda". Do you know how many weird looks I got on that one?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chani29f View Post
That's funny. I find the average Northern Californian annoying, hence the reason I want to leave. Let me tell you: we all think we live in the greatest place in the world. Get east of the Rockies and you will see what we are missing. Beautiful country, nice people, and clean highway rest stops! (lol) Mountains, redwoods and wine only go so far! The ocean is over rated because it is so dang cold up here. The only thing I know I will have to learn is that it is "pop" not "soda". Do you know how many weird looks I got on that one?
The whole pop vs. soda question is a very serious one as you can see. This guy has some interesting things to say on the subject.

Unfortunately, the original Pop versus Soda web site appears to be down at the moment.

What does this map say about the southeastern US???

Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,256 times
What's the deal with N. Mex.?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The whole pop vs. soda question is a very serious one as you can see. This guy has some interesting things to say on the subject.

Unfortunately, the original Pop versus Soda web site appears to be down at the moment.

What does this map say about the southeastern US???

Someone has WAY too much time on their hands if they can track down all that information and put together a map by county like that .

Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Why is that? I am curious.
Because -Californians are more out going and have an attitude that leans more towards making things happen as opposed to Minnesotans who seem to sit and wait for something to happen. When I lived in Sacramento, it was during a time when that city absolutely had nothing going on. Me and my friends constantly went to the Bay or elsewhere for our entertainment and most times just for something to do. Minnesotans seem affraid to leave their city(ies) and it seems like a big bother to them (unless hunting, fishing or beer on a river is involved).

-California has some regional loyalties (NorCal vs. SoCal, East Bay vs. West Bay, the Valley, etc) but regardless of that, Californians will always think of them selves as Californians. Minnesotans are more in tune with the local community, for sure, but their lives don't tend to veer too far from it.

-Minnesotans seem absolutely obsessed with the weather. Yes it gets effin' cold. You know it, everyone knows it. Quit talking about it. Oh, and the Halloween Blizzard of '94 or what ever.....who effin' cares! On top of that, Minnesotans pride themselves on being able to endure such extreme cold, but yet they seem to be the first (and constantly) ones to complain about it.

-For some reason, a Minnesotan feels obligated to make small talk with you. Sometimes at length. It is painfully obvious that they want to go on their way as much as you do, but yet they continue to talk to you. But yet, if you want to have a serious conversation with one, then they suddenly have something to do.

I guess that it is more of a general attitude sort of thing.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chani29f View Post
Not sure what you are getting at here, but let me tell you; I don't believe that California is the best place on the planet (it could be if there wasn't so many people in the state) and for the record I have lived on the West Coast, the MidWest, and the East Coast (where I am at now). Yes, there is more to the country then NorCal, but seriously I'll take the mountains and redwoods any day. By the way, the ocean is never 'overated' ,a fact that may come to remind you that one of the 10,000 lakes does not compare (Lake Superior neither).

Soda? When I lived there every thing was a Coke, but now that I think about it, my mom says soda. Maybe it's a generational thing?

"Hey, can you grab me a coke?"
"Yeah, what kind do ya want?"
"I'll take a Dr. Pepper."

Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 PM

41 posts, read 129,049 times
Quote:
Not sure what you are getting at here, but let me tell you; I don't believe that California is the best place on the planet (it could be if there wasn't so many people in the state) and for the record I have lived on the West Coast, the MidWest, and the East Coast (where I am at now). Yes, there is more to the country then NorCal, but seriously I'll take the mountains and redwoods any day. By the way, the ocean is never 'overated' ,a fact that may come to remind you that one of the 10,000 lakes does not compare (Lake Superior neither).

Soda? When I lived there every thing was a Coke, but now that I think about it, my mom says soda. Maybe it's a generational thing?

"Hey, can you grab me a coke?"
"Yeah, what kind do ya want?"
"I'll take a Dr. Pepper."

This is exactly my point. Californians have...to...be...right...all...the...time...
It is freaking annoying. So you hate MN, sounds like your problem. And if people like to small talk with you, why is that a big deal? Californians not obsessed about the weather? You want to come to MY town where they freak out about when it either does or doesn't rain? This area is not for me. I don't like the attitude here. I've lived here all my life (30 years now!) and I have always wanted to leave but never had the opportunity. And trust me, when you live an hour or less away from the ocean and the water is flipping cold and there is fog and seaweed all over the beaches, and you aren't an abalone diver or fisherman, it IS overrated. Give me a beautiful lake anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul