Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:25 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1915Bung View Post
Great Thread.

My wife and I just moved into the Jordon area as owner/occupants and plan on restoring an older home. We are interested in meeting other homeowners in the area. Anyone have any links to groups or sites that would make this possible?
Good for you, welcome to the northside (and the forum)! You'll want to keep your eye on the North News (this will also be mailed to your home every month) for events and happenings in the neighborhood and on the northside. You could also get involved with the Jordan Area Community Council which serves as your local neighborhood organization (see "events" tab on the website). Northway Community Trust (http://www.northwaycom.org/index.html - broken link)is a civic-oriented organization dedicated to improving the quality of life on the Northside so you might want to inquire about volunteering at any events that they sponsor as a vehicle for meeting local residents as well.

And, you may also want to periodically visit the Camden News website's Events Calendar to check out events going on all over the Northside.

Good luck, and feel free to Direct Message me if you think I might be able to help out with anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

19 posts, read 67,017 times
it's an old thread, but i wanted to update it anyway...

i (finally) bought my first house

it's in the camden neighborhood, on a quite nice block, with a great view of the cemetary from my front porch.

thanks in part to all of the great info you folks have given out, i am now a proud homeowner in north minneapolis!

(my hands shook a little when i typed that out )

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,345 times
Just want to add that last night I had a great dinner at Sauced.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrun View Post

it's in the camden neighborhood, on a quite nice block, with a great view of the cemetary from my front porch.

thanks in part to all of the great info you folks have given out, i am now a proud homeowner in north minneapolis!

Congrats on your new home and welcome to the area! I think we probably walked right by your house a couple of nights ago (we decided to walk to Folwell park and then around Crystal Lake cemetary for a change) - Folwell's a beautiful park, and the cemetary is beautiful in and of itself.

As I know the general vicinity of where you're at, I think you might be interested in a campaign I am thinking of taking up - it's regarding the new drainage pond/ pathway area on the northside of crystal lake cemetary, which was really a nice and serene addition to the neighborhood (pictures attached below) - I actually lived right next to the cemetary when they first started excavation on the pond. Anyways, on a couple of walks here, we've noticed that there seems to be some irresponsible dog owners in the area (or 1 very profilic one) that don't seem to know how to pick up after their dogs (luckily they seem to be small dogs). I'm planning on calling 3-1-1 to see if it's part of the city's responsibility for clean-up (and/or encouraging park or other police to monitor and issue citations), and possibly making some flyers and putting them up on some of the shiny new lampposts - it bothers me that I can't walk on those paths and enjoy the nice new park area, but instead have to constantly look at my feet to make sure i'm not stepping in a pile.
Attached Thumbnails
North Minneapolis-pond-2.jpg   North Minneapolis-pond-cl-cemetary.jpg  

Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 AM

i haven't had a chance to walk around the pond yet, but i have driven past a few times....being a dog lover myself, maybe we can petition to get a dog park installed nearby. might encourage folks to let their dogs do their business in a confined area and of course is a good way to meet the neighbors

Old 10-26-2008, 10:51 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
Quote:

are you on Humboldt? I looked at a place off Dowling and Logan last winter on the Folwell/Camden border.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Yep, I'm on Humboldt

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

86 posts, read 481,954 times
Welcome, Randomrun!

I just wanted to put in my $0.02: It's probably not the best idea for a single woman to go out walking around at midnight. The people that are out at that time are not usually the same crowd out at midnight in uptown. Anyways, I am sure you will love Camden.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 PM

241 posts, read 435,590 times
Quote:

Yay! How exciting! I bought my first house three years ago- it is a wonderful feeling!

Also Camden is lovely. Great housing stock in that area, and I really love Victory Memorial Drive- it's a great drive/bike/walk/etc.

Congratulations

Old 11-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks!

Hasn't been too terrible, but I was burglarized the fourth day after I moved in . The flip side of that is I was able to meet some of the officers that patrol my neighborhood...they were extremely nice and knowledgable! And of course, my new home was promptly transformed into a fortress...pretty much everything but a moat (you wouldn't believe the zoning rules against moats). Sort of a bittersweet adventure so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul