Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM

121 posts, read 158,180 times

Advertisements

Thanks again everyone, great information and great to know that Hockey is alive and well (maybe too much so) in Minnesota. lol...

We will check out all the areas mentioned by everyone, but at this point I'm pretty drawn to the Western Suburbs (esp Plymouth, Wayzata) so we can have the kids feed into the Wayzata district (who also seem to have a good Youth hockey and HS program).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
Thanks again everyone, great information and great to know that Hockey is alive and well (maybe too much so) in Minnesota. lol...

We will check out all the areas mentioned by everyone, but at this point I'm pretty drawn to the Western Suburbs (esp Plymouth, Wayzata) so we can have the kids feed into the Wayzata district (who also seem to have a good Youth hockey and HS program).
Just a word of caution, again, 1200 kids/grade graduate from Wayzata--if your kids are not THE BEST, they won't feed into the high school programs and might not make it to next year for the youth programs....especially with the open enrollment options out there...just something to consider....there is something to be said for being a standout on a team...and chances are slim at Wayzata or any of the other Mega-Schools. And to be honest, Wayzata Hockey isn't that great...3 state tournament appearances, one in 2013, one in 2004 and the 3rd in 1954....

Minnesota Boys' High School Hockey-Tournament Appearances by Team

Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post

These areas should serve you well. I'd look to straddle the line between the best of the two. I'd want the bigger house/bigger lot/cheaper price-tag in the Plymouth area. Near a lake for outdoorsy stuff, but still in Wayzata schools, a short drive to Lake Minnetonka, etc. Anywhere in this area is going to be top-notch.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just a word of caution, again, 1200 kids/grade graduate from Wayzata--if your kids are not THE BEST, they won't feed into the high school programs and might not make it to next year for the youth programs....especially with the open enrollment options out there...just something to consider....there is something to be said for being a standout on a team...and chances are slim at Wayzata or any of the other Mega-Schools. And to be honest, Wayzata Hockey isn't that great...3 state tournament appearances, one in 2013, one in 2004 and the 3rd in 1954....

Minnesota Boys' High School Hockey-Tournament Appearances by Team
That is not a good way of gauging how good a program is. Wayzata was #2 in state at the end of the year, but their section includes Eden Prairie and Benilde, so making the state tournament is always a crap shoot. It is like saying that White Bear isn't very good because Hill Murray tends to win the section more often.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
That is not a good way of gauging how good a program is. Wayzata was #2 in state at the end of the year, but their section includes Eden Prairie and Benilde, so making the state tournament is always a crap shoot. It is like saying that White Bear isn't very good because Hill Murray tends to win the section more often.
The real point is the chances of actually getting to PLAY in the Wayzata system--and that includes the youth leagues....

WBL had plenty of state tournament appearances. Eden Prairie only has 5 and Benilde only has 4....

Wayzata seems to have had 2 or 3 years of good programs lately--great..but again, the real issue is playing time....they can only carry so many kids on their roster....

Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 AM

I'd personally put more stock in a programs success lately, it shows that they are getting better at the youth level (which is what the OP is asking about). Also, her kid will most likely get to play no matter which city they decide to live in, the question is at what level; A, B, or C.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
If you move here this spring or summer, my good friend works at a place that has two smaller studio sized rinks in St Louis Park. These type of rinks are the newer "thing" the last few years. There's over 90 teams in the summer 3 vs 3 league. I know the owner also, so I could put you in touch with him if it's something you'd have an interest in. All ages skate there from little kids learning to skate to high school. Zack Parise, Thomas Vanek, Drew Stafford etc...skate there many times a week during the offseason, so the small rink is the way to go.

Hat Trick Sports

Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I'd personally put more stock in a programs success lately, it shows that they are getting better at the youth level (which is what the OP is asking about). Also, her kid will most likely get to play no matter which city they decide to live in, the question is at what level; A, B, or C.
great...but a kid playing C level through 9th grade isn't likely to make the high school team He has a MUCH better chance growing up in a successful program like WBL to actually get to play in high school because they don't have 1000 kids trying out for 15 spots...

Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
great...but a kid playing C level through 9th grade isn't likely to make the high school team He has a MUCH better chance growing up in a successful program like WBL to actually get to play in high school because they don't have 1000 kids trying out for 15 spots...

Trust me I understand how hockey works, and if her kid is playing C level their whole life it doesn't matter which city they grow up playing in, their chances of make a Class 2A high school team are virtually zero. However, her question was about youth hockey programs, and no matter where they live, their kid will be able to participate in that program. You are also assuming that their kid isn't any good and going to Wayzata will spell the end of his hockey playing days. For all we know he could be a stand out. Also, I can almost guarantee that making the A team for White Bear is just as difficult as making the A team for Wayzata.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Trust me I understand how hockey works, and if her kid is playing C level their whole life it doesn't matter which city they grow up playing in, their chances of make a Class 2A high school team are virtually zero. However, her question was about youth hockey programs, and no matter where they live, their kid will be able to participate in that program. You are also assuming that their kid isn't any good and going to Wayzata will spell the end of his hockey playing days. For all we know he could be a stand out. Also, I can almost guarantee that making the A team for White Bear is just as difficult as making the A team for Wayzata.
Trust me, I know how it works too, but if you have 1000 kids trying out for 15 spots vs 100 kids....

Just pointing out the facts and if they choose to go to the biggest school/program in the state, it limits their chances at all levels--and yes, they do cut at the lower levels too.....

He also just might not be aware that Wayzata is 2 to 3 times larger than almost all of the other schools in the metro...

Last edited by golfgal; 03-26-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul