Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times

Advertisements

7th grade--it's in the title

Academically those schools are not very good though---the arts seem to be more of an EC vs focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 11,896 times
My daughter is in 7th grade. Rosemont is too far of a drive.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,699,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new blue View Post
We won't be able to move until August b/c of vacations & employer .
We are looking at homes in the 450,00-500,000 range.Really concerned about daughters schooling since in a great private school in current area.

Looking for newer 2500 + sq ft & swimming pool.

Any neighborhoods or school recommendation would be appreciated.

Also I am a Bilingual (Spanish) Speech Language Pathologist Assistant.
I have not found any school positions. Do I need to look in St Paul or another close city for work?

Thank you
I suspect you live in Plano. If so, Edina or Minnetonka would be a similar suburb. MN and TX are opposites in some ways, especially regarding private/public issues. In general, MN invests in public infrastructure in a way that TX does not. MN public schools are very solid. Also, you'll find a lot of public pools and other facilities that are often privately owned in DFW. ¡Buena suerte con la mudanza!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
7th grade--it's in the title

Academically those schools are not very good though---the arts seem to be more of an EC vs focus.
Oh, my bad. I didnt notice she had the grade there in the title, LOL! Westonka and Crosswinds are VERY good schools academically. If you dont believe me, look it up yourself. There is plenty of information out there, LOL. I dont know about the other schools listed though as far as academics. The schools I listed were specifically targeted to Visual Arts.

Good luck OP! Let us know where you end up!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,812,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuddy View Post
My daughter is in 7th grade. Rosemont is too far of a drive.
It appears your place of employment is in St. Paul. We were advised the choice of schools were better in the Minneapolis area than in St. Paul. There are from what I understand some good private school options on that end though. If you can open up to the Stillwater/Woodbury (East) or the Western Minneapolis suburbs - your choices will increase - both public and private.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,757,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new blue View Post
We won't be able to move until August b/c of vacations & employer .
We are looking at homes in the 450,00-500,000 range.Really concerned about daughters schooling since in a great private school in current area.

Looking for newer 2500 + sq ft & swimming pool.

Any neighborhoods or school recommendation would be appreciated.

Also I am a Bilingual (Spanish) Speech Language Pathologist Assistant.
I have not found any school positions. Do I need to look in St Paul or another close city for work?

Thank you
Swimming pools exists here, but aren't common due to the fact they're unusable for 9 months of the year. You'd probably be better off getting a membership at a community pool or country club.

As for 2500sf & newer, you're going to be in the suburbs most likely, so look for one with a lot of new construction like Eagan, Maple Grove or Woodbury.

Many transplants like you are looking for private schools because they're accustomed to lousy public schools. We have very, very good public schools here in the Twin Cities & many transplant family's decide to go public once they understand this.

That said, there are many excellent private schools in the area. Holy Angels, Minnehaha Academy, Cretin Derham-Hall, Hill-Murray, Benilde-St. Margaret's, Blake, Breck, De La Salle & St Paul Academy off the top of my head are all highly prestigious private schools.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
I agree with the others -- no need to go private unless you want to, but if you do, there are lots of options. I also wanted to add that while you say you want a secular private, many of the schools have at least some passing religious connection; for many of them, the student body is diverse and isn't there for the religion. I wouldn't automatically cut out one of the ones with a religious affiliation right away, that's all.

You may also decide that if you really want a pool that it's worth it to buy the house you like and then add the pool. I'm sure that's a major hassle, but you'll find houses with pools are going to limit you. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've also heard that around here houses with pools hurt their resale value. I do know that there are houses around here where the new owners have filled in pools. That said, some people do have them, and maybe the fact that you DO want one will work to your favor when looking. Just keep an open mind, I think.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Remember, if you have a pool here, you are going to be able to use it less than 100 days per year. Thats why most people just use the pool at their school, health club, or YMCA.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,812,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Remember, if you have a pool here, you are going to be able to use it less than 100 days per year. Thats why most people just use the pool at their school, health club, or YMCA.
So true. In SFL - my kids swam 9-10 months of the year - pretty much daily. They were huge swimmers. Now perhaps July and August a few times - unless we are on a warm weather vacation. A pool (even heated) would be more hassle than benefit.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:02 AM

7 posts, read 11,896 times
Goodness so much to consider. I live in Southlake not Plano. I would love to find a Southlake/Colleyville suburb near Minneapolis. My school district also is high achieving, high SAT/ACT because of demographics.
If anyone is familiar with this area and can identify more or less equivalent near Minneapolis that would be great.
Private school also provide community when you know absolutely no one.
I will keep in open mind but I was told the same thing about Southlake schools being so great.

The Pool is negotiable. I grew up in Portland, OR & we only used our pool in summertime.

I really want to focus on a school and neighborhood to start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul