Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:30 PM

29 posts, read 82,183 times

Advertisements

We live in Eden Prairie and have a two car garage (with 2 separate doors). In front of one garage door and on the concrete part of driveway, we intend to erect a temporary structure (fabric garage made with metal frame). When finished it will be 7 feet away from the road side.

I tried the EP by-laws, but couldn't understand if this could be a problem? Any experiences/advice from folks living in twin cities on such a structure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 02:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,641 times
My first question would be why you want to do this. Would it handle the snow load?

Old 11-09-2014, 02:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
My first question would be why you want to do this. Would it handle the snow load?
Same question I have.

If your tent "garage" is 8' x 16' (barely enough for one car) and we get 12 inches of snow tomorrow, that little metal frame and canvas is going to have to hold up approximately one ton of weight. I wouldn't want to be underneath it.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 PM

Hi Astron1000 and MnMomma. Good point, though the tent has a circular top, so I am assuming the snow will fall through the sides? Attaching photo below.

I was more worried if erecting such a structure doesn't violate some codes. The good part we do not have any homeowner association in our area.
Attached Thumbnails
Fabric Garage on driveway - would that be okay?-copy-2-copy-buildi1.jpg  

Old 11-09-2014, 03:54 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeah View Post
Hi Astron1000 and MnMomma. Good point, though the tent has a circular top, so I am assuming the snow will fall through the sides? Attaching photo below.

I was more worried if erecting such a structure doesn't violate some codes. The good part we do not have any homeowner association in our area.
If it is light, airy, dry snow, it might fall down the sides. However, if it is heavy, sticky, wet snow, no way will that thing still be standing under the weight. Heck, if the old Metrodome (which also had a rounded top AND much sturdier construction holding it up) collapsed under snow, what chance does this have? Keep in mind the wet heavy snow can also break trees, etc. I don't know if tomorrow's snow is supposed to be heavy or not, but we have AT LEAST 1 or 2 good, heavy snows fall each winter. They LOOK beautiful and are the perfect snowman/snowball snows!

Also, how is it anchored to the ground? In other words, what will prevent a good strong wind from picking it up and blowing it across the street? In the process, it would damage other vehicles, etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:38 PM

So our purpose is to store a mercedes sprinter van underneath this fabric garage. Do you folks think a simple van cover would be better?

We did consider storage garages by companies located in shakopee and other areas, though they cost about 400/mo for the size our van would need ... that seemed too costly, thats why I thought a fabric shed could be a better option ...

Old 11-09-2014, 04:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
I don't think the tent would violate any codes, but personally I would just get a van cover. The tent seems like something that would be hard to get rid of once you're done with it.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,641 times
If I were a neighbor, I'd prefer the van cover to the big tent. Do you have any neighbors that don't use their whole garage? My guess is that someone you knew would take $400 for the whole winter.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeah View Post
So our purpose is to store a mercedes sprinter van underneath this fabric garage. Do you folks think a simple van cover would be better?

We did consider storage garages by companies located in shakopee and other areas, though they cost about 400/mo for the size our van would need ... that seemed too costly, thats why I thought a fabric shed could be a better option ...
Check with neighbors for garage space.

Also, check with farmers who may have space in their sheds!! I know several farmers who store other people's boats, convertibles, etc. in their sheds for the winter. Just make sure there is insurance that covers it in case something were to happen.

If you put this tent thing in front of your other garage space, how are you going to get in and out of that space? Or, alternatively, you could put the van in your own garage and keep one of your currently garaged vehicles in the driveway (assuming you have 2 other vehicles). Sure, you'll have to scrape ice and brush snow, but that is an option.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:13 PM

great ideas for me to consider, though one problem is that our van is the extended 9ft height, so most residential garages cannot take such a height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: