Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 41,026 times

Advertisements

We've been strongly considering relocating to MSP from Austin, TX at some point in the future. Saw this and starting to get concerned about future MSP economy. They can't build enough high dollar condos in Austin, TX because the demand is so high in downtown Austin. Thoughts?

Developers cancel North Loop Minneapolis condo project - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM

442 posts, read 593,603 times
One developer cancelling a project isn't much of a concern to me when almost all of the suburbs I sell in are facing severe inventory shortages.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
There's actually tons of condos already in that area, and a building almost exactly like that further down the road, in the Gold Medal Park area. IMO the expensive condo market probably has enough inventory relative to the MN population interested in living in an expensive condo.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstzATX View Post
We've been strongly considering relocating to MSP from Austin, TX at some point in the future. Saw this and starting to get concerned about future MSP economy. They can't build enough high dollar condos in Austin, TX because the demand is so high in downtown Austin. Thoughts?

Developers cancel North Loop Minneapolis condo project - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

LOL. Have you been to the Twin Cities recently? There are several dozen infill projects (some of them quite significant with hundreds of units) currently under construction, and dozens more in the pipeline.

The Twin Cities are currently experiencing a massive apartment boom bigger than the city has ever seen before, although our last condo boom was back in the mid-aughts before the recession. Condos aren't really marketable at the moment, which is why I'm not surprised this project fell through.

That being said, the North Loop is probably the hottest neighborhood in the Twin Cities right now for redevelopment. Apartments are going up right and left.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:50 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
I think that condo was too high priced for the amenities it offered. The North Loop is still booming, though.

I remember hearing there were only 50 or so condos for sale in downtown not too long ago.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I think that condo was too high priced for the amenities it offered. The North Loop is still booming, though.

I remember hearing there were only 50 or so condos for sale in downtown not too long ago.
These were overpriced. It has nothing to do with the economy in the Twin Cities. That was a sour grapes quote from one of the two developers.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,916 times
I would expect the housing construction to fall significantly in Minneapolis from 2012 and 2013 levels.

In 2012, Minneapolis permitted 3,303 units.
In 2013, Minneapolis permitted 3,322 units.
In 2014, Minneapolis permitted 1,959 units.
Through February in 2015, Minneapolis permitted 19 units.
Through February in 2014, Minneapolis permitted 64 units.
Through February in 2013, Minneapolis permitted 101 units.
Through February in 2012, Minneapolis permitted 403 units.

2012 and 2013 represented permit numbers that were vastly beyond anything Minneapolis had seen since 1996 (the oldest data I can find). I suspect that is totally unsustainable. It also should be pointed out that 2014 was the third highest permit number year for Minneapolis since 1996.

For the metro as a whole, the annual housing permits are:
2012: 11,493
2013: 12,033
2014: 11,444

So, the metro minus Minneapolis has seen an increase each year.

That being said, I don't know that I would put much stock in a report about condos in Minneapolis. There apparently haven't been any condos built in downtown Minneapolis for a number of years. But, the construction boom in Minneapolis looks to be ending. I'd also be a lot more concerned about Target laying off thousands of people downtown than a relatively small condo project.

I'm pulling numbers from here:
Building Permits Survey

Old 04-15-2015, 06:51 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I would expect the housing construction to fall significantly in Minneapolis from 2012 and 2013 levels.

In 2012, Minneapolis permitted 3,303 units.
In 2013, Minneapolis permitted 3,322 units.
In 2014, Minneapolis permitted 1,959 units.
Through February in 2015, Minneapolis permitted 19 units.
Through February in 2014, Minneapolis permitted 64 units.
Through February in 2013, Minneapolis permitted 101 units.
Through February in 2012, Minneapolis permitted 403 units.

2012 and 2013 represented permit numbers that were vastly beyond anything Minneapolis had seen since 1996 (the oldest data I can find). I suspect that is totally unsustainable. It also should be pointed out that 2014 was the third highest permit number year for Minneapolis since 1996.

For the metro as a whole, the annual housing permits are:
2012: 11,493
2013: 12,033
2014: 11,444

So, the metro minus Minneapolis has seen an increase each year.

That being said, I don't know that I would put much stock in a report about condos in Minneapolis. There apparently haven't been any condos built in downtown Minneapolis for a number of years. But, the construction boom in Minneapolis looks to be ending. I'd also be a lot more concerned about Target laying off thousands of people downtown than a relatively small condo project.

I'm pulling numbers from here:
Building Permits Survey
I think it's a bit early to predict any significant reduction in overall Minneapolis housing permits. Note that in the figures you provided, the year end permit numbers for Minneapolis are nearly identical for 2012 and 2013 (3,303 and 3,322, respectively). Yet, the through-February number for 2012 (403) is nearly for times as high as the through-February number for 2013 (101). Also, January and February are not high permit months to begin with--In 2013, the two months combined accounted for less than 4% of the yearly total.

The cancelled condo project alluded to in the OP was a high-end luxury building, with projected per square foot prices which were significantly higher than just about anything else in the area. Much of the downtown construction of late, has been in the form of rental units in the slightly-above-average to above average range. With all of the commercial construction currently going on downtown, it's hard to say how the condo market will line-up in 2015.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstzATX View Post

"is this a bad sign of the MSP economy?"...not in the least!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 63,510 times
Take that story with a grain of salt. Project's dye on the table all the time, for this or that reason.

I work for the largest sub contractor in the state. The building is just plain NUTS!
The biggest concentration of condos in the next couple years will be around the new Viking stadium. Ryan construction has five on the table at this time, and we will be building them for Ryan, and more to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul