Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM

62 posts, read 77,163 times

Advertisements

I've been looking more closely at the twin cities lately. Background, we live in inland northern California and hate it, particularly the weather. I grew up in Colorado and miss having winters, though I know that the winters that the great lakes get are much more significant than what metro Denver typically experiences.

At any rate, I've been to Minneapolis/St. Paul a couple of times and loved it, and it has me at least wondering a little what a move there would be like.

I'm wondering, with a starter home budget of 250,000, can you get into a suburban neighborhood with high quality schools? Also, would there be any options available within a reasonable commuting distance to the University of Minnesota campus?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:17 AM

442 posts, read 595,304 times
Yes, absolutely. Just doing a quick MLS search in the Mounds View school district (as an example and because it's the one I know best), there are 30 single-family homes listed for 200-250k.

You'd be looking at a commute of 20-30 minutes to the U from the heart of the Mounds View school district, closer to 10 if you're in Arden Hills/Roseville.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,770,794 times
yes, - gives you LOTS of suburban neighborhoods within reasonable commuting distance to campus, as well as some highly-regarded city neighborhoods with top schools, too.

If you're working at the U of MN, keep in mind that there are also express bus options, including from suburban park-and-rides all over the metro area; while you still may as well choose a location within relatively close proximity to campus, the buses are a great option because, if working regular hours, they can speed up your commute dramatically (they can go in express lanes, as well as eliminate the hassles of campus parking).

Old 10-19-2015, 04:02 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,713,391 times
Yes, mainly because there are many very good to great school districts in the Twin Cities. Compared to many other large metros the TCs is more egalitarian. The have/have not discrepancy isn't as great.

Maple Grove, Plymouth, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Bloomington, Eagan, Lakeville, Rosemount, Woodbury, White Bear Lake, Arden Hills/Shoreview, Blaine etc etc etc. Locals swear there are huge differences but outsiders are often struck by just how many middle/slightly upper middle class burbs there are. The inner ring burbs of MPLS are generally good (St Louis Park, Hopkins, Golden Valley). Even in the city of MPLS (South and Southwest) have pretty good schools and lots of young families. I'm not quite as familiar with St Paul side.

Districts that are considered pretty good are Mounds View (Arden Hills/Shoreview - North Oaks is too pricy for you probably). Wayzata (look in Plymouth - may be slightly above your price point). Minnetonka (Minnetonka and some of the smaller communities around the lake but choice of homes may be restricted). Eden Prairie. West Bloomington. D196 (south metro). Woodbury. Mahetomedi (White Bear Lake Northeast metro). Eagan especially the Inver Grove side.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:52 PM

41 posts, read 62,568 times
We really don't have "bad" school districts here. Even Minneapolis and St. Paul have good schools, they just also tend to have more poverty which leads to lower test scores and graduation rates.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:15 PM

987 posts, read 3,823,574 times
@golfgal generally has plenty of comparative info on this topic.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 AM

878 posts, read 1,211,300 times
Yes, you can get a home for $250K in virtually any suburb (with possibly the sole exception of Edina)-- what will vary, of course-- will be the age, size, and condition of the house that you can get for that price- but it's absolutely doable in numerous excellent school systems and there are excellent schools systems both within the Cities and in the suburbs in all directions, with very few exceptions.

One thing to point out, if you haven't noticed already, that the school districts don't always line up with the city boundaries-- meaning that you can find homes in Minnetonka that are zoned for the Hopkins or Wayzata school district and not Minnetonka-- or homes in Wayzata that are zoned for Orono or Minnetonka and not Wayzata -- or homes in Chanhassen that are zoned for Minnetonka and not Chanhassen schools, etc.

Also, you can open enroll into most school districts in Minnesota (meaning that you can enroll your kids in the schools of your choice even if you don't live in the district boundaries, as long as you provide transportation), but bear in mind that some school districts are closed to open enrollment (i.e. both Wayzata and Edina are closed to open enrollment; Chaska and Chanhassen are closed at the high school level-- I'm sure that there are other school districts that might be closed, but I'm only familiar with the western suburbs)

Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM

101 posts, read 112,122 times
Very interesting on the open enrollment, that's unheard of in CT.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM

264 posts, read 314,872 times
Good info on districts' and cities' borders not being aligned, and on open enrollment.

On school transportation with open enrollment - I believe if one open enrolls their children, using the new district's school buses is an option, though it may carry a fee (some district charge fees for their "home" residents as well.) I don't know this first hand, but this is how I interpret the language in the real estate listings that says something like, "1 block from [insert highly rated school district] school bus stop."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Yes, you can get a home for $250K in virtually any suburb (with possibly the sole exception of Edina)-- what will vary, of course-- will be the age, size, and condition of the house that you can get for that price- but it's absolutely doable in numerous excellent school systems and there are excellent schools systems both within the Cities and in the suburbs in all directions, with very few exceptions.

One thing to point out, if you haven't noticed already, that the school districts don't always line up with the city boundaries-- meaning that you can find homes in Minnetonka that are zoned for the Hopkins or Wayzata school district and not Minnetonka-- or homes in Wayzata that are zoned for Orono or Minnetonka and not Wayzata -- or homes in Chanhassen that are zoned for Minnetonka and not Chanhassen schools, etc.

Also, you can open enroll into most school districts in Minnesota (meaning that you can enroll your kids in the schools of your choice even if you don't live in the district boundaries, as long as you provide transportation), but bear in mind that some school districts are closed to open enrollment (i.e. both Wayzata and Edina are closed to open enrollment; Chaska and Chanhassen are closed at the high school level-- I'm sure that there are other school districts that might be closed, but I'm only familiar with the western suburbs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul