Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I noted earlier that I have spent a lot of time on South Florida, and I agree with you. I would put Hawaii (NOT Honolulu) well ahead of Florida for snowbirding. No contest. None.

And among the best places in Hawaii is the Big Island (in my opinion!). Big enough to not get a heavy case of island fever. A very diverse climate! That may sound surprising but the Big Island is home to 12 different climatic zones. The north coast looks a lot like Minnesota's North Shore with pine trees and cliffs, while just a few miles south it can look like Wyoming with tumbleweeds and cactus. And drive up to the top of Mauna Kea for a surreal sci-fi landscape of ice, fog and mountains, dotted with the world's largest astronomical observatories. Then a few miles further south and you can hike through a tropical rainforest. Then take a dip at a nearly deserted white sand beach.
I went to the big island a year ago, and fell in love with it (from a vacation standpoint.) We pretty much saw every climate zone on the island. It's a very special place of happiness for my wife and I. That said, she could live there for life, and I don't think I could last more than 4 years.I talked to many locals, and island fever is a real thing. I asked my friend there what she misses most, and she said "culture". She can't just see a play, or a concert, or a new museum, etc. As a guy who loves intelligent conversations, she said most locals lack sophistication and worldly knowledge, just enjoying being beach bums. While the islands laid back vibe is perfect for vacation, I think I would personally struggle with " Hawaii time" as a local.

Again, my favorite place to vacation, and I'm sure I would adjust if forced to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:16 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,424 times
Have been reading this thread because I'm interesting in learning about Minneapolis. It seems like a city that would offer a lot of the culture I'd like to be around - art, the symphony, diverse ethnic populations, to name a few. I grew up in South Florida, in the Miami of the 70s. My parents retired and I moved with them to Central Florida, to a town called DeLand. I hated it there. I went back to Miami for a little while but it had changed tremendously, becoming very status oriented. Then I moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area, and I really liked it except for the weather. Long story short, I came to Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, where I've been for 12 years. I've gotten used to it but I can't really say more than that. I can't say I love it here. It has truly grown, but it's still the South and it's not for me. I came here to get a TESL certificate and just stayed on, but nothing has ever really gelled for me. Teaching ESL to adults has only been part-time and I have been struggling work-wise, having come here in my later 40s, not fitting into the RTP/tech whatever work world. I know Minneapolis is a huge ESL mecca, and all things ESL are top of the line. However, I don't have my master's in the field and feel like I couldn't land a job there. Anyway, not to get too off topic here, I'm wondering what it would be a good idea to come up and explore the Minneapolis area. I'm in my later 50s now, single female, Catholic, and of Hungarian descent.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
.....Anyway, not to get too off topic here, I'm wondering what it would be a good idea to come up and explore the Minneapolis area. I'm in my later 50s now, single female, Catholic, and of Hungarian descent.
Why not come for a visit? Mid-May through early October are good months to experience the energy of the Twin Cities. There is something special going on almost every single week during the summer months. Art Fairs, Concerts, the Minnesota Fringe Festival, Live Theatre, traveling exhibitions, Minnesota State Fair - the list goes on.

(Side Note - The Twin Cities do not "close up shop" during the Winter months either. That's prime theatre season. Concerts also abound)

Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
I'd actually suggest visiting in the winter months (November–March). If you visit when it's cold and still get a good vibe, the Twin Cities will look like a utopian Shangri-La any other time of the year.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:04 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'd actually suggest visiting in the winter months (November–March). If you visit when it's cold and still get a good vibe, the Twin Cities will look like a utopian Shangri-La any other time of the year.
This. Good Advise.
If you like MSP in the winter, you'll love it the rest of the year. It's relatively humid like FLA and lots of lakes...like FLA.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,424 times
This all sounds like great advice. It's not feasible now financially to come up, but the idea of coming in May when the college term ends is enticing. After leaving Cleveland, I've still longed for what it offered in terms of the museums, parks, Severance Hall, etc. That was then, but in having lived in North Carolina this long I'm more acclimated to colder weather so to go back north now isn't daunting anymore. The lakes and islands in the midwest are very pretty, no matter what the season. People say the way to get used to it is to embrace it. Maybe learn how to cross-country ski? Or take part in park winter programs, etc. Astron1000, the summer months sure have a lot to offer from what you've shared. Maybe reserve an Airbnb then?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
This. Good Advise.
If you like MSP in the winter, you'll love it the rest of the year. It's relatively humid like FLA and lots of lakes...like FLA.
The humidity here is NOTHING as compared to the insane humidity of a FL summer (I both grew up in South FL and lived there for the last 12 years)-- our summer here in MN feels more like an LA winter than anytime in FL (and that's a GOOD thing!)

And you can't really swim in FL lakes, unless you're willing to up close and personal with a gator or three.

That said, I do miss the ocean something fierce.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM

38 posts, read 50,624 times
These comments are hilarious and also quite articulate (of course, they're written by Minnesotans.) Such great points made about Jacksonville (it's set up like Minneapolis!), the materialism of South Florida, weighing trade-offs, and "wanton skullduggery" (haha) etc.

I feel I'm in good company. I'm just another Minnesotan missing home and weighing the trade-offs around the winter, culture, etc. "The Search Continues!" Would it be nice if we could find large neighborhoods of Minnesotan "expats" like the ethnic neighborhoods in Brooklyn or something!

The ultimate set up would be 7 months in MN and 5 months in FL. It's hard to swing for young professionals though. Guess I'll just spend more time at the bar next winter if I head back up!

P.S. The older I get the more I feel "job" is just as important than "place." If my entrepreneurial endeavors go successfully I'll be able to design my lifestyle to do 7 in MN 5 in FL.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:13 PM

38 posts, read 50,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
My wife and I live in Sarasota but will be moving to Minneapolis soon. We go to Tampa about once a month for various things but, like you, we find getting around up there a chore. Sarasota is much easier to get around and very laid back. Although it's a smaller city there are plenty of amenities and a fair amount of culture and it is much cleaner and less grungy than Tampa. If you haven't made your way down here yet you should consider a visit. If we were to stay in Florida I can't imagine living anywhere else in the state frankly.
Hi, Chester Burnett,

I've scoped out Sarasota and loved it. It's a little paradise. I'm not sure about jobs though, or about staying long term since it's not a big metropolis. Also, I'm not sure how many 20 or 30 something young professionals there are there. (my main concern) I agree though! It's a little paradise! Great weather, gorgeous, clean town that is easy to get around, and great for doing outdoor sports!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 PM

10 posts, read 10,321 times
I used to be a management consultant and had to travel about 90% of the year. As such, I lived in Boca for four months. Boca was pretty boring. Then I lived on South Beach for one month, that was pretty cool. I guess I like Miami more than Minneapolis, but I suppose Minneapolis is more sensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul