Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 08:16 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times

Advertisements

^Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Kansas City and St. Louis are what--majority black or white? My points are based in my reality...and facts. Your points are based in your reality. The TC and Minnesota are overwhelmingly white. You cannot dispute that fact. Pockets of "diversity" does not make it a diverse place.

ETA

America elected Barack Obama. Twice. So electing people of different races to positions of power means little. Cognitive dissonance.
If you want to live in a segregated black neighborhood, be my guest....they don't really exist in MN -- not in a large scale anyway. If that's what you're looking for you chose the wrong place, but I wouldn't consider that lifestyle as progressive at all. Sorry you feel so "overwhelmed", but it's not necessarily the metro's fault you feel insecure or alienated.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Segregation doesn't exist in MN because there aren't enough people of color around to warrant it. That's the ONLY reason. You all want to make it seem like my views are so off the mark, yet Minnesota has some of if not the worst racial disparities in the county. These are facts. It's not a utopia. Minnesotans have perfected denial. At least other cities are honest about their racism.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:17 PM

Lol. You haven't made any point. You're just ranting. Make a point (with actual data) and I'm glad to talk.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
I'm not sure what you expect us to say -- I'm sorry the Twin Cities isn't blacker and more segregated? Nobody here controls that. I get that the black popularion in the region lacks a solid middle class, but considering how relatively new the black population is to the Twin Cities itll take some time to develop, and it won't happen overnight.

Where do you feel is ideal -- St. Louis or Cleveland? Maybe you live in the wrong area here. Do u live in Farmington or something?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:09 PM

182 posts, read 297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm not sure what you expect us to say -- I'm sorry the Twin Cities isn't blacker and more segregated? Nobody here controls that. I get that the black popularion in the region lacks a solid middle class, but considering how relatively new the black population is to the Twin Cities itll take some time to develop, and it won't happen overnight.

Where do you feel is ideal -- St. Louis or Cleveland? Maybe you live in the wrong area here. Do u live in Farmington or something?
I cant speak for treemoni but I would like to see more middle class and upper middle class people(and families) of color, particularity black families in the region. I would also like to see more professionals and business leaders of color, once again particularity blacks as well. IMO that's what holds the Twin Cities back from being damn near perfect for me. As much as I dislike living in North Texas I grudgingly have to admit they have you guys squarely beat in both categories.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
I cant speak for treemoni but I would like to see more middle class and upper middle class people(and families) of color, particularity black families in the region. I would also like to see more professionals and business leaders of color, once again particularity blacks as well. IMO that's what holds the Twin Cities back from being damn near perfect for me. As much as I dislike living in North Texas I grudgingly have to admit they have you guys squarely beat in both categories.
Exactly. The way Minnesotans defend their dysfunction is comedic. For the person who asked for data...Google is your friend. I'll give you a start: type "Minnesota income disparity" into the search engine and voila! There's your data. Then replace "income" with "education" and you'll have even more to work with. You're welcome.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
Umm, yeah. Because Minneapolis is the only city to experience these issues.
Despite efforts, Dallas ISD’s African-American students lag their white peers | | Dallas Morning News
I can also tell you that places like Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis are just as segregated if not more. I would say that pretty much every major city has a significant achievement gap between whites, blacks etc. so it's not fair to single out Minneapolis in that regard.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 04-03-2016 at 10:46 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 11:02 PM

Dallas, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit don't pride themselves on being progressively liberal. Such huge income and education disparities DO NOT belong in a truly progressive place.

ETA

Blacks are going to lag behind whites in almost all cities due to institutional racism. This has been happening since, oh, slavery.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:25 AM

Ok so the only barometer of whether a region is 'progressive' is income or education inequality between racial groups? At least we finally found your extremely narrow definition. Thanks for that. No one agrees with your presupposition but at least we've figured out why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul