Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,793 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me build my network with any govt. agencies and/or corporations in MN? Any tip on job networking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Can anyone help me build my network with any govt. agencies and/or corporations in MN? Any tip on job networking?
The best way to start job networking is by meeting people in college, building relationships there with them and your professors. Right now now knowing you it isn't easy to 'recommend' you do other professionals for job networking. What do we know about you to pass your name on to people we know, nothing. Don't worry about networking right now, finish college and get your first job under your belt, then worry about networking.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM

40 posts, read 400,222 times
When you begin college, you will most likely be appointed a career advisor in addition to an academic advisor. Your career advisor will be able to help you begin the networking process. I personally believe it is never too early to start networking. I started right away my freshman year and have successfully completed two engineering internships. As a result, I had 7 job offers to choose from last semester (I'll graduate in May). Take advantage of all the career fairs you can. A lot of friends may try to deter you from attending these career fairs as a freshman--just keep in mind that YOU want to succeed. Furthermore, a lot of companies may simply tell you to come back as a sophomore or a junior, but DON'T GIVE UP HOPE. Ask for business cards when you talk to the companies. Email them with questions as many will advise you to. I'd also suggest talking to faculty members about your networking options. Oftentimes they know someone on the inside. Become involved in organizations. No matter which major you choose, each major tends to have a supporting organization that brings in speakers employed in your field of study.

As far as working vs starting college right away, no one will know. Your resume won't give employers this information. I would suggest, however, to continue on immediately so you don't lose focus on what is important. Many people have the best intentions of returning to school but become too wrapped up in life's adventures to further commit themselves. Moreover, working during your college days is a great way to strengthen your work ethic, and, yes, this will greatly benefit your resume--even if you were a team leader at a fast food restaurant. Any work experience is great to indicate on your resume when you're first starting out. As you become more experienced in your field and more involved in campus organizations, you can proudly remove those irrelevant experiences from your resume.

Overall, I believe that college is designed to develop your way of thinking--your mindset moreso than to train you in a specified field. Granted, an undergraduate degree will teach you the foundation of your field of study; however, real experience will eventually outweigh your degree. As many people before me have noted, the mere number of undergrad degrees has toughened the odds of securing an outstanding job. In effect, a masters degree has become even more important.

I wish you great success. Good job asking advice early on. Make it a habit!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 PM

638 posts, read 3,125,531 times
Quote:
Borgusx; the best advice I can give you is to live and work hard today and stop trying to live 4-5 years down the road. You want connections to start networking; take care of what needs to be done today first. It's okay to make a plan and set goals, etc.; but it's really important to do today what you have to do to set a good foundation to reach your future goals.

It's important to build a good foundation so when you do graduate from college you have the skills you need to do what you want. You seem to want networking systems in place now; but those are built on what you have been doing. If you can find internships in the fields that you are looking at or volunteer work in those areas, you can do that while in college and start building your network that way. Find mentors in your desired field, but do not forget that the education and your degree are the basic building blocks of your future.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:18 AM

196 posts, read 920,984 times
This thread annoys me and i don't know why i keep looking at it, but i notice lots of stuff like this on these kinds of boards.

Look people, you just have to chill out and go with the flow. These cut and dry questions like "where to network", or "will a bachelors do this for me", are an example of what's wrong with our education system. Life is twists and turns, ups and downs. It isn't some step by step logical process that takes you to an end result. Start living life rather than planning it. If you follow your interests and passions, stay social, and are willing to take the occasional risk (and accept defeat every now and then), you will probably get somewhere.

You might network at anything from a formal event, to randomly sitting next to somebody on an airplane. A degree could be anything from a complete waste of time, to a gateway to wealth. It's like poker, it's more about how you bet than the cards you are dealt.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:23 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
dont calm down. you have good instincts listen to them.
jr college has great vocational programs no student loans.
so does us army.
my favorite is RN program. if you need links let me know.
here jr colleges offer lvn 42 units with a crossover translition program of 30 units
total 72 units entirely jr college.
but my favorite is the navy rn program 2 years with ocs full lieutenant
salary 80 to 90 k a year with enormous benefits.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,766,708 times
80 to 90k a year to assist injured shell shocked Iraqi war veterans...sounds like a dream.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 AM

638 posts, read 3,125,531 times
Bunky, here in MN the LPN programs are different than the CA programs and requires 57-60 credits (or 18 months, more or less) for the basic LPN education (and we do pay tuition and fees here). To go from LPN to RN (associate degree) still requires slightly over another year of college here (another 52+ credits); so this isn't the easy way to become an RN here.

I won't address your idea of the Navy RN program since I don't know enough about it; but I know that years ago when I was looking at the Navy, they wanted BSN-degreed RNs going into the service and they would become the Lieutenants, the Navy wasn't interested in 2 year RNs back then.

And not a whole lot of RNs are earning 80-90 K a year here.

NIck is rulz; it is an honor to care for veterans who have been wounded in the service for our country; it can be difficult and hard work; but it was always an honor for me!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 14,345 times
Default College is a Scam

Hello,

First off, going to college is not the way to go anymore period. You need to read the book "THE SECRET." Also, you should read RICH DAD POOR DAD, a very enlightening read I would say. Grow yourself and you your world will change. College will not do that. Only getting out of your parents house and trying to make it on your own will. YOU DON"T NEED TO PAY TO DO THAT...

GOOD LUCK,

STEVEN BEISHEIM. I HAVE MY MASTERS and it isn't worthy anything....

Actualize81@gmail.com

Old 03-09-2008, 02:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The degree needed for entry into the nursing profession is an AAS (Associate in Applied Science) in nursing. It is a two year program. However, that degree will keep you in the entry-level salary range possibly for your entire career. Granted, you will get COL raises, but there aren't many opportunities for advancement with that degree. Anyone interested in nursing, IMO, should purse a BSN. The armed services, all of them, have programs where they pay for your education in return for service.
yes yes a wonderful post thank you many need to hear what you have said.
the world needs nurses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul