Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

in the next few years, we are planning to buy a condo in Minneapolis (or possibly St Louis Park). Our main criteria is European style walkability. We want to be able to walk to a grocery store, restaurants, parks, and places to do errands easily. Close to transit would be nice too -- we have a car, but would like to not have to use it so often. We'd also like a view, if possible, and nice amenities like a workout room, but walkability is our top priority. Any suggestions on where to go, or suggestions about possible condo buildings? We want two bedrooms and a den, and the budget will probably be around $500,000. We're empty nesters, so Uptown probably isn't our top pick, although we do like the area and the lake. Pet friendly is a must too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:55 AM

256 posts, read 287,316 times
There are some really nice condos in the Loring Park area of downtown. I'd look there first. You could look out on the park every morning (which is beautiful), walk to Lunds grocery store, you're really close to bike/jogging trails that take you wherever you want, and if you *need* to get out, I-94 is just across the park (well, technically it's a tunnel at that point I think, but you get the idea). Right near Hennepin, which is a main transit artery. There is some construction going on on Lyndale and the sculpture garden for the next year or so, but when it's done, it's gonna be even nicer. So yeah, that'd be my first choice. Oh, and depending how much you like walking, all of downtown is basically get-to-able from there. I live a block away from Loring Park, and we walk to/through stuff downtown all the time. It takes about half an hour to get to the river, for example.

Another area to look at is actually around the "St. Anthony Main" stretch of Minneapolis along the river. Again, I don't have specific names for you, but I know a lot of the buildings over there are condos. The "downtown" block with the movie theater and restaurants and stuff is really nice, cobble-stoney, near Stone Arch Bridge, lots of events happen there, etc. There appear to be a few revolving-door businesses, but I'm sure everything will solidify in the next couple years. It's an area that will only get better. And yeah also there's a Lunds a couple blocks away. You'll need a car if you need to, say, go to Target or something, but that's pretty much the case anywhere (though there *is* one downtown).

Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
I think the North Loop should be near the top of your list. I found a couple buildings in that area which currently have condos on the market in your budget range:

401 2nd St
100 3rd Ave S
401 1st St

Old 08-26-2016, 06:06 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,036 times
I agree with above comments. The St Anthony Main/East Hennepin area, Loring Park and North Loop areas all had lots of condos built during the boom years of 1999-2006. Unfortunately, not much has been built in recent years. Although Bob Lux has an exciting new 40+ story development proposed for Central Avenue at University Ave. most recent condo development in and around downtown has been by Jim Stanton, who built several projects in the North Loop, and more recently, several projects in the Milling District. He has just broken ground on the Legacy Development east of Gold Medal Park. Within a few years, the Milling District should have a Trader Joes, plus more retail & restaurants as new development fills in Washington Avenue.

There were a few condos built in Uptown--Michael Lander built one along the Midtown Greenway between Bryant & Colfax (Midtown Lofts may be its name). The closer to the lakes you get the pricier they will be.

The Excelsior & Grand area has several condo buildings and would be a good suburban alternative. even downtown Hopkins has a couple condo buildings along Main Street.

On the east side of the metro, the Lowertown area has a mix of new and old condo buildings in downtown St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul