Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM

987 posts, read 3,818,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinner_Me View Post
Hmmmm, why is it concern to us that our daughters might not be accepted by new classmates? And this after moving out of state? I don't think I am even going to bother explaining!
Yeah but that could happen in any school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 18,944 times
Default thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the great feedback on my Edina inquiry. Basically, I'm hearing that it's a fine place. I am aware of Edina's reputation as "uppity" and "cliqueish." While this does concern me, I have never heard criticism along these lines from anyone that has actually lived in or near Edina or has experience with the schools. The 1st-hand feedback is all positive, so far.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinner_Me View Post
Hmmmm, why is it concern to us that our daughters might not be accepted by new classmates? And this after moving out of state? I don't think I am even going to bother explaining!
You said that the only reason why you didn't settle down in Edina was because there might be the possibility that your daughters would not be accepted. To me this sounds like you have (had heard) prior knowledge as to make such a decision. The new kid in any school runs the risk of not being accepted. You specifically excluded Edina because of this. I was just curious as to why.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM

17 posts, read 82,864 times
I was told this by young adults who grew up in the Edina schools. And received confirmation of this info from those who work with the youth in our church. Yes, a new student is "odd man out", but I had heard it could be especially difficult for girls (knowing how girls like to fit in and be accepted). We moved a few years ago so my children are aware of what it is like to be the new one part-way through the school year.

I did some research a several school districts (all west of Mnpls) and Edina was the only one where I heard about the strong cliques.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
I didn't grow up here, so have no firsthand knowledge of the relative clicqueness of TC schools. But my son went to a parochial high school that drew lots of kids from Edina. He told us that the joke at his school was that "Edina" stood for Every Day I Need Allowance. Right or wrong, the perception was that these kids were a bunch of cake-eaters.

The Edina school district itself has a great reputation, as does the Hopkins district, to which some Edina kids are in. I'm guessing you don't hear as much about it because it is a "mature" district, unlike the newer districts out on the sprawling suburban fringe like Eden Prairie or Lakeville.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I didn't grow up here, so have no firsthand knowledge of the relative clicqueness of TC schools. But my son went to a parochial high school that drew lots of kids from Edina. He told us that the joke at his school was that "Edina" stood for Every Day I Need Allowance. Right or wrong, the perception was that these kids were a bunch of cake-eaters.

The Edina school district itself has a great reputation, as does the Hopkins district, to which some Edina kids are in. I'm guessing you don't hear as much about it because it is a "mature" district, unlike the newer districts out on the sprawling suburban fringe like Eden Prairie or Lakeville.
I would concur. Most of the people that I went to college with from Edina fit this stereotype pretty closely. It is a great school. I would caution you about the housing though, chances are that the houses you are finding the compare to most suburbs are not in the best locations. Edina is very expensive. It is also rapidly turning into an area where people buy a 1950's rambler for $400,000, knock it down and put a 6000 sq foot, 3+ million dollar home on a postage sized lot. It is really too bad because Edina in general is a lovely area.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:09 PM

84 posts, read 320,654 times
Boring ppl and nutn happenin

Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Edina has a reputation of being uppity, even though there are portions of it that are just a typical suburb.
Agreed.

Check out a book titled "Girl Culture", some of the profiles were girls from Edina.

Some people love the "Edina satuts" and seek it... even if the house doesn't come close to representing what we have come to think of as "Edina".... I remember going to a party when I was about 22 - a guy at the party was all excited about closing on his first house that week. It was two-bedroom, 1 bath, no garage [big issue in Minnesota] ... but hey, it was in EDINA. He kept saying, "I never thought I'd actually own a home in EDINA."

For some people ppl, buying a home in Edina = "making it"; as for me if I someday inherited a home in Edina [it's possible, I have family who live in Edina], I'd use "Minneapolis" as my address [the zip code would still get it to the right address] and NEVER, EVER actually admit to living within the city limits of Edina.

Actually, I'd sell the home ASAP... unless if I HAD to live in the house for some odd reason...

But that's just me. Good luck to you.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-02-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 97,143 times
We moved to Edina two years ago. It's a great place to live. We were drawn to it because of its wonderful parks, older homes, and great schools. It's also close to everything. It's a great community for things like biking, running, the Edina pool is fantastic, etc. There are definitely aspects to it that remind me of a Cheever short story at times, but that's better than something resembling a Hubert Silbey novel. I will say this, though: there is more ambient noise in Edina than I would have predicted. The airport traffic and noise from the freeways carries throughout most of the area. I'm used to it now, but it just struck me as more noise than I expected in such a community.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
The only downside is that it's extremely white. A number of our friends and acquaintances have moved from Minneapolis or Richfield to Edina when their kids got to be school age for the "better" schools. If you want racial or ethnic diversity, you won't find it in Edina (or in SW Mpls. for that matter.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul