Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:54 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times

Advertisements

I'm very heartened by the responses thus far!

M-SP was previously on my radar for possible places to relocate, but not in a big way. I really didn't know much about it. Every place has its pluses and minuses, but after all the opinions posted here, the Twin Cities are definitely on my short list!

Thank you to all who've added their responses! Anyone else? Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,172 times
You made a good set of questions. Even as a current MSP resident, its been interesting to read the responses.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
You made a good set of questions. Even as a current MSP resident, its been interesting to read the responses.
Thank you! Very kind of you to say that. I am curious about a few more aspects of living there, but didn't want to make the list too long. I think the answers to these questions will give me a good basis to continue looking into things.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:02 PM

587 posts, read 562,879 times
After seeing the OP's survey in multiple forums, along with her demands to "just stick to answering the questions"....I question the authenticity of the post. Is the purpose really for a relocation? Or is it for something else such as collecting data for a graduate thesis?

Old 04-07-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
After seeing the OP's survey in multiple forums, along with her demands to "just stick to answering the questions"....I question the authenticity of the post. Is the purpose really for a relocation? Or is it for something else such as collecting data for a graduate thesis?
I am serious about relocating. I'm not a student anymore. Anyone gathering research for a study, should state that up front. I'm over 40, have been in NYC for over 25 years, and recently come to the realization that my life in NYC has been unsatisfying and too stressful for too long. I need a change and feel the need to put a lot of thought into researching where I go next. I've only posited these questions in forums for cities that genuinely interest me after doing some reading and looking at many "Best of" lists. I want opinions from real people who uprooted themselves and moved someplace, because although I do want to relocate, the prospect of doing so is very daunting after living so long in one place.

Don't participate if you don't want to. I just want to gather a bunch of responses so I can put them together and come up with a short list of places I want to go and check out in person. I don't want it to turn into a lot of back and forth where people might get into arguing and defending their opinions if they take exception to something someone else wrote. That's the only reason I've stepped in to say please stay on topic (that and the fact that going off-topic is a pet peeve of mine, heh). If I get a few more responses, I'll be happy and then everyone can have at it as much as they want.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 AM

256 posts, read 287,197 times
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the drivers in my "things I don't like" section. To be fair, traffic/drivers is something basically everyone in every area complains about... but as a "transplant" you end up comparing it to wherever else you've lived, and I have to say that drivers here on average tend to be the worst of both worlds. You have a mix of absolutely insane "city drivers"--for lack of a better term--who will swerve in front of you on the highway (or downtown), even if there's barely enough room for their car, because they are super important and you'll obviously conjure up the extra space for them.

And then you have the passive-aggressive nonsense thrown in, where people will drive 54 in a 55 mph zone and use the left lane, which causes untold number of traffic incidents, as the right lane is often hard to use for travelling since the roads here tend to use the right lane as an onramp in and of itself (hard to explain until you see it, but it can be unnerving just trying to get on the highway here). The people going 54 in a 55 will usually reject every attempt in the book that you make to get them to momentarily pop into the right lane so you can get by, so if you're like me and refuse to pass on the right like an *******, you get stuck. The only thing I've ever seen work to get these folks to move is the aforementioned "city driver" jerks tailgating them until they get scared....which just ensures that the vicious cycle continues, where the jerks keep being jerks, and the passive-aggressive types keep passive-aggressiving.

Anywho, none of this would keep me from moving here, and like I insinuated above, it isn't necessarily all that different from anywhere else. It should maybe just be extra motivation for you to move somewhere in the TC area where you don't have to drive very often

Old 04-08-2017, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 16,021 times
I'm a NYC transplant as well, have been renting in the North Loop for roughly a year and a half. I can pretty much echo what has already been said: COL is not low when compared to much of the county, but certainly it is quite a bit lower than NYC. Parks, art, culture, music, food, farmers markets: there really is not as much of a drop off from NYC as one might expect. There really is plenty to do here and I have no plans to leave Minneapolis any time soon.

I use the light rail system quite a bit, particularly to go to the airport. It's quite clean and reliable, especially when compared to MTA in NY. I could see how it would be not so useful if you don't live as close to a station, as it's not that widespread.

Even the weather has not been so bad, however I think I've been lucky with the past two winters being pretty mild. The locals like to complain about the heat and humidity of the summers but I can't understand this at all. Summers here are beautiful compared to most of the east coast.

I will also echo that drivers here are horrendous. I've lived in FL and NYC and somehow drivers here are significantly worse. No idea why, it seems counterintuitive. Traffic in general is not all that bad though. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with my move here.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the drivers in my "things I don't like" section. To be fair, traffic/drivers is something basically everyone in every area complains about... but as a "transplant" you end up comparing it to wherever else you've lived, and I have to say that drivers here on average tend to be the worst of both worlds. You have a mix of absolutely insane "city drivers"--for lack of a better term--who will swerve in front of you on the highway (or downtown), even if there's barely enough room for their car, because they are super important and you'll obviously conjure up the extra space for them.

And then you have the passive-aggressive nonsense thrown in, where people will drive 54 in a 55 mph zone and use the left lane, which causes untold number of traffic incidents, as the right lane is often hard to use for travelling since the roads here tend to use the right lane as an onramp in and of itself (hard to explain until you see it, but it can be unnerving just trying to get on the highway here). The people going 54 in a 55 will usually reject every attempt in the book that you make to get them to momentarily pop into the right lane so you can get by, so if you're like me and refuse to pass on the right like an *******, you get stuck. The only thing I've ever seen work to get these folks to move is the aforementioned "city driver" jerks tailgating them until they get scared....which just ensures that the vicious cycle continues, where the jerks keep being jerks, and the passive-aggressive types keep passive-aggressiving.

Anywho, none of this would keep me from moving here, and like I insinuated above, it isn't necessarily all that different from anywhere else. It should maybe just be extra motivation for you to move somewhere in the TC area where you don't have to drive very often
Just pass on the right, problem solved. I'm not a lemming, I pass everyone, follow no one.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:34 AM

I have to say, I am really encouraged by a lot of what I'm reading. In fact, someone on another state's forum just recommended the Twin Cities to me. Minneapolis-St. Paul is definitely moving up on my list!

Old 04-08-2017, 01:33 PM

55 posts, read 180,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug61 View Post
I'm a NYC transplant as well, have been renting in the North Loop for roughly a year and a half. I can pretty much echo what has already been said: COL is not low when compared to much of the county, but certainly it is quite a bit lower than NYC. Parks, art, culture, music, food, farmers markets: there really is not as much of a drop off from NYC as one might expect. There really is plenty to do here and I have no plans to leave Minneapolis any time soon.

I use the light rail system quite a bit, particularly to go to the airport. It's quite clean and reliable, especially when compared to MTA in NY. I could see how it would be not so useful if you don't live as close to a station, as it's not that widespread.

Even the weather has not been so bad, however I think I've been lucky with the past two winters being pretty mild. The locals like to complain about the heat and humidity of the summers but I can't understand this at all. Summers here are beautiful compared to most of the east coast.

I will also echo that drivers here are horrendous. I've lived in FL and NYC and somehow drivers here are significantly worse. No idea why, it seems counterintuitive. Traffic in general is not all that bad though. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with my move here.
I'm a nyc transplant as well, grew up in long island but lived in nyc and queens. I have been here for two years and have almost been killed three times by people doing the most unbelievable things in a car. In the worst one a woman was flying at me the wrong way on an exit ramp.

Anyway to the questions:

1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

Definitely less stressful, less high strung people. Very hard to adjust to for a person expecting direct non vague responses.

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

Nearby suburb only 10 minute drive to downtown.

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

Homeowner

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

Car only, its very easy getting around compared to nyc and its metro.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

We are happy for our kids, they will live a very good life imo compared to what we could of offered them in ny. As soon as they get to college I see my wife and I moving and retiring to vermont or maine.

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Very good, plenty to do, just as much to do and far more convenient than other major cities imo.

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

I'm biased being from nyc. The col is very low compared to that part of the country. Just look at property taxes in Long Island, northen jersey or Westchester. A $6500 tax house in the twin cities area would be as nice as a $15000 tax in the nyc metro. Salaries are high here. A tradesperson can do very well for himself in the twin cities. I think there's a labor shortage for plumbers, electricians, etc. I know finding one and not paying a ton can be difficult.

8. What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

I like the non stressed easy going life one can lead here. People work to live here, they don't live to work like people on the east coast. Call a contractor here on a Friday at 2pm, you'll here back from them on Monday without an apology. Life is slower. That's good. That thunderdome feeling you get on the jersey turnpike or the belt parkway entering manhattan, doesn't happen here. Thats great. It wont ever happen to you if you come from a high traffic congested area of the country. I seriously have never been in TRAFFIC here.

9. What do you like least?

This is a tough one. I guess its the attitude of many natives. I want direct talk, no beating around the bush. When I ask my boss what to do first, I want to know now. Trust me you won't hurt my feelings. I guess peoples feelings here are what get to me. They seem to get Butthurt if they perceive any criticism. Its rather tough to have real discussion imo. This could be very tough for some, I know now and just keep my mouth shut. I'm not going to change them, its more up to me to bend to them.

I know a few people said this already and I will agree 100%, introverts will be fine here. Outgoing, intrusive, I want to know your life story today people, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul