Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:22 PM

150 posts, read 143,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
The production of the Twins since August 1st is like 1st in the AL in almost every category. Yet the media disdain for "flyover country" remains. It's nothing I'm not used to.
I do not think so. The media's focus may be on the incredible run that Cleveland Indians are having and they are clearly one of the top AL teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 02:56 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Those are the types of losses (lose lead, then lose by a run) last night that could end our run to the PS. They're not going to win every game the rest of the year but those close ones they have to find a way to secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googol View Post
I do not think so. The media's focus may be on the incredible run that Cleveland Indians are having and they are clearly one of the top AL teams.
ESPN did a documentary on Cleveland just like last year titled "Believeland". The media loves "the mistake by the lake".

I think Cinci and Cleveland are close enough to the East Coast I don't even know if I consider them "flyover country" when it comes to media coverage of sports. It was at one time one of the great urban centers of America if I recall (close to a million in the City). The probably has something to do with it.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Those are the types of losses (lose lead, then lose by a run) last night that could end our run to the PS. They're not going to win every game the rest of the year but those close ones they have to find a way to secure.

ESPN did a documentary on Cleveland just like last year titled "Believeland". The media loves "the mistake by the lake".

I think Cinci and Cleveland are close enough to the East Coast I don't even know if I consider them "flyover country" when it comes to media coverage of sports. It was at one time one of the great urban centers of America if I recall (close to a million in the City). The probably has something to do with it.
It appears your geographical boundaries are being re-shaped to suit your narrative. Cincy is 1.5 hours drive from Louisville, KY! ... quite midwestern.

There was great coverage when KC Royals defeated the Mets in 2015 to deservedly win the championship (after their tough loss to the SF Giants in the 2014 WS). I hope you are now not going to claim Kansas is also a "coastal city" ?

Last edited by Googol; 09-16-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googol View Post
It appears your geographical boundaries are being re-shaped to suit your narrative. Cincy is 1.5 hours drive from Louisville, KY! ... quite midwestern.

There was great coverage when KC Royals defeated the Mets in 2015 to deservedly win the championship (after their tough loss to the SF Giants in the 2014 WS). I hope you are now not going to claim Kansas is also a "coastal city" ?
KC didn't/doesn't get love like the city of Cleveland gets it. ESPN wouldn't have put up that "Believeland" docu like they did if they didn't have an affair with them. LeBron probably has something to do with it (the mainstream attention to the city, as far as sports, at least).

I mean, when will they do a "Mini Apple" documentary on the putrid MN pro sports scene? I don't want to hear about the Twins' two world titles as a good reason why not - we lost the Lakers, lost the North Stars, lost four Superbowls, almost had our MLB team contracted, and yeah, we won a couple WS (I needn't remind the last one came a quarter century ago now). We aren't getting some "Believeland" documentary...ever, I can guarantee you that. I think the mainstream sports talking heads give Cleveland love unlike a number of other cities.

I think Minnesota in general gets crapped on, and maybe rightfully so in some respects.

That's just my opinion.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
it would be just as well that the Twins didn't make the playoffs so as not to be exposed to the nation as the Yankee's beeotches yet again

Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it would be just as well that the Twins didn't make the playoffs so as not to be exposed to the nation as the Yankee's beeotches yet again
In a one game wild card playoff game, anything can happen and the Twins get the opportunity to face most likely the Indians for ALDS.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:29 AM

As long as Cleveland keeps beating up on Angles we might just get in.

Although I do have bad vibes when it comes to the Twins going up against the Yanks. It's best to just chalk it up as we're going to get our a--es beat whenever a game of importance is on the lines against the Yanks.

The problem with the Indians at this point is, while they might beat up on the Angles, WE have to face them again yet. They don't even lose a game anymore 25-1 in their last 26 or something like that.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:47 AM

70 posts, read 101,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Fully agree. Which is why so few people have cared about this so called "playoff run". When it comes to playing NYC, we might was well forfeit every game since the result won't be any different from playing, and we don't risk getting someone hurt in the process.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
Fully agree. Which is why so few people have cared about this so called "playoff run". When it comes to playing NYC, we might was well forfeit every game since the result won't be any different from playing, and we don't risk getting someone hurt in the process.
At the end of the day though it will be one game. I'd lean towards the Yankees in that but...you never know...

Assuming we get Wild Card...and assuming we some how won, we'd still have the Indians staring us in the face somewhere down the road this year.

Although I think we are about 5-9 against them this year we did beat them a few times.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I see they're playing now, we got 3 in the top of the 3rd but the old fat man promptly gave those 3 right back again on their turn in the bottom of the inning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul