Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start a topic about this to see if others have noticed this too. I’ve been living here a while and for the first time for as long as I can remember I’m seeing a noticeably high number of cars on the road with out of state plates. I don’t count traffic at MOA because they are likely tourists, but I’m noticing alot on city roads and places residents would typically go - Menards, the Library, etc.

Is it just me or are we seeing a sudden influx in out of state transplants to the Twin Cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM

128 posts, read 113,714 times
Maybe its people that are here and somewhere else 1/2 and 1/2... like retirees.

Maybe its people who are registering their vehicles in the other state to get away from the insane yearly plate / tab fees. My vehicle last year was $550 to renew.

The quality of life in Minnesota is really good...so there may be some new people moving in. You never know!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:04 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
Many of those plates are on rental cars, too. We were at Minnehaha Falls one day (yes, touristy, but humor me) and spied a plate from Texas, where we had just moved from. We had lots of time left on our parking voucher so I decided to ask them if they wanted it and strike up a conversation about Texas concurrently to see what their story was. Sure enough they were from Nebraska - in town visiting and driving a rental, so I took back the voucher and.......just kidding, I still gave it to them.

Ironically, I just this morning picked up a rental with California plates to drive for the week while our vehicle is in the body shop. I'm sure I'm gonna get closer looks from the locals and law enforcement with that plate on there.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Yep Im seeing it a lot. I really wanna stop and ask are you visiting or did you just move here? I've seen California, NOrth Carolina, Texas, etc.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
I drive around all day for work, I started seeing yellow NY plates everywhere a few years ago.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quality of life. We have it here.

I think most of the grumbling on the MN forum comes from transplants who seem to want to transform MN into the place from which they came. This will happen in time of course, as demographics change. But this will be natural human change which is intergenerational and doesn't happen overnight with government mandates.

In our married youth we lived in a variety of different physical and social climates but always came back to MN because with all its cons the pros still outweigh them for us.

What I am most alert to is that we lose alternative voices. If we become a groupthink State we will fall victim to what so many other States are struggling with today. We do need a multitude of choices and voices - new and old. We need to continue to have a healthy balance.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:52 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I thought I would start a topic about this to see if others have noticed this too. I’ve been living here a while and for the first time for as long as I can remember I’m seeing a noticeably high number of cars on the road with out of state plates. I don’t count traffic at MOA because they are likely tourists, but I’m noticing alot on city roads and places residents would typically go - Menards, the Library, etc.

Is it just me or are we seeing a sudden influx in out of state transplants to the Twin Cities?
I saw some data awhile ago (in this forum, I think) that showed long-term population statistics going back decades, and Minnesota over that time had the highest growth-rate of any state in the region. It seems that Minnesota's growth, which I presume has to be fueled by transplants as much as natural rates of increase, is nothing new.

That said, I wouldn't consider license plates that you happen to notice to be statistically meaningful.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I saw some data awhile ago (in this forum, I think) that showed long-term population statistics going back decades, and Minnesota over that time had the highest growth-rate of any state in the region. It seems that Minnesota's growth, which I presume has to be fueled by transplants as much as natural rates of increase, is nothing new.

That said, I wouldn't consider license plates that you happen to notice to be statistically meaningful.
Yes, this is anecdotal evidence and my goal of this topic was to see if my observations were merely coincidence or if others have had similar observations. There are reports and data that provide a more exact picture but they are usually a year or two behind and wouldn’t capture what is happening right now.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:31 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times

Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Yes, this is anecdotal evidence and my goal of this topic was to see if my observations were merely coincidence or if others have had similar observations. There are reports and data that provide a more exact picture but they are usually a year or two behind and wouldn’t capture what is happening right now.
It may just be the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon at work.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/li...phenomenon.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul