Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:09 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Hey Bryan, I thought you might want to read this: 6 Ways to Avoid Illegal Steering | Realtor Magazine
Yes, this is a rediculous comment. Bryan's been nothing but helpful on this public forum over the years, and the OP is not a client. Even if you genuinely thought this was a problem, you should have PM'd him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
I haven’t lived in Rochester but have visited there several times. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it persay and I’m sure it’s a fine place to raise a family if you’re looking for a bedroom communty type of place. Rochester just strikes me as rather bland. It’s only offer as a destination is for seeking medical care. It you want to be near amenities and entertainment then the Twin Cities is your obvious choice. If that isn’t a priority for you and you are content with living in a small town type of environment then Rochester is a good choice.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:35 PM

906 posts, read 1,766,374 times
Having lived in both places, it really comes down to what you value most in life. Rochester is a small city that is more family oriented and is indeed an "island" as someone else mentioned on this thread. I found it a quiet and charming place with a small town feel. There was plenty of places to spend outdoors and its a safe and affordable community to live in. That being said, its a good 75 minutes *minimum* to the south of the Twin Cities area going up US-52. I convinced myself when I moved to Rochester that it would be something I would do a lot, but the reality of the 2+ hour round-trip made it a rare trip for me. Another big downside to Rochester is traveling anywhere by air requires either a 75 minute shuttle bus ride or a connection through MSP, which was a major bummer when you are returning via MSP after a long flight and get stuck with a 2+ hour layover if things get delayed.

I live in Saint Paul now and I would never move back to Rochester. I love the city life and there are frankly a lot more things going on here in the TC than there was in Rochester. Both Saint Paul and Minneapolis are safe cities in the grand scheme of things -- there are definitely neighborhoods that struggle more with crime, but where I live in Saint Paul I have never felt unsafe. I love having a major airport close to my home with nonstop flights all over the country. I love being able to just go to a Twins game on a whim -- or see major Broadway traveling productions on Hennepin Ave -- with only a 15 minute drive to downtown. The restaurants and nightlife in the metro area are miles beyond what you can get in Rochester. Honestly most of the restaurants down there are a joke.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you value more -- a quiet and isolated life or the action of a major city with all it has to offer.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Having lived in both places, it really comes down to what you value most in life. Rochester is a small city that is more family oriented and is indeed an "island" as someone else mentioned on this thread. I found it a quiet and charming place with a small town feel. There was plenty of places to spend outdoors and its a safe and affordable community to live in. That being said, its a good 75 minutes *minimum* to the south of the Twin Cities area going up US-52. I convinced myself when I moved to Rochester that it would be something I would do a lot, but the reality of the 2+ hour round-trip made it a rare trip for me. Another big downside to Rochester is traveling anywhere by air requires either a 75 minute shuttle bus ride or a connection through MSP, which was a major bummer when you are returning via MSP after a long flight and get stuck with a 2+ hour layover if things get delayed.

I live in Saint Paul now and I would never move back to Rochester. I love the city life and there are frankly a lot more things going on here in the TC than there was in Rochester. Both Saint Paul and Minneapolis are safe cities in the grand scheme of things -- there are definitely neighborhoods that struggle more with crime, but where I live in Saint Paul I have never felt unsafe. I love having a major airport close to my home with nonstop flights all over the country. I love being able to just go to a Twins game on a whim -- or see major Broadway traveling productions on Hennepin Ave -- with only a 15 minute drive to downtown. The restaurants and nightlife in the metro area are miles beyond what you can get in Rochester. Honestly most of the restaurants down there are a joke.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you value more -- a quiet and isolated life or the action of a major city with all it has to offer.
I fell that these comparisons are very fair. I personally dealt with the same issues, especially after returning 10 years later and yearning for more excitement in my life than Rochester can provide. Rochester used to be a wonderful hometown where everyone knew everyone. You could run into the same people twice in one day in different locations, you could bike across town or walk about anywhere if you wanted. Now it is outgrowing itself so fast and crime has really risen there. I think if you are going to work in the cities you should live there. Commuting that far is no fun, no imagine doing it all winter on icy roads and snow covered areas in zero temps. It isnt safe to do that. I know people that do, but its worrisome. If you are going to work in Rochester, then live there. All negatives aside, its still a nice little city. Plenty of simple activities to do, shopping, dining, movies, parks, fishing, baseball, theater, concerts, etc.... just not large events. I am partial to both since i have lived in both and my family still all lives in Rochester and all do well. Some are employed at Mayo, some own business, all are financially stable and always have been. All have raised kids in the city, all have stayed without any real desire to leave.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 PM

10 posts, read 11,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator545 View Post
Hey guys, sorry if this technically belongs in the city vs city forum but I've seen most intrastate comparisons placed in the state section.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to move to Minneapolis in November, but I've been still considering last minute alternatives and with Rochester being less than 2 hours away from the TC area, it has gotten me thinking.

The main things that appeal to me about Rochester are the lower crime rates, lower housing costs, a supposedly better overall school system, and a more moderate political attitude. It also seems like Rochester is still close enough to Minneapolis that you could easily pop over to take advantage of what the TC has to offer.

I also have a B.S. degree in Biology, and with the Mayo Clinic and all I figure there may be more job opportunities in that area.

Thanks for any help!
Rochester is nice, and Mayo is the best hospital in the world. Not many greatest restaurants there, sadly. Also, not a great drive in the winter.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 PM

303 posts, read 821,410 times
I spent part of my childhood in Rochester then 98-03 in Kasson (while working at IBM). Its a great little city but it gets boring. I disagree with those who say it doesnt have good food. I think it has better than average food for a small midwestern city. Its hot and miserable in the summer (with an occasional Tornado in the area) and cold as all heck in the winter. They do take care of the highways but not until the storm is over. My commute from Kasson to Rochester was dicey a lot. I could not imagine commuting to the cities. You get the winter isolation syndrome but Rochester is big enough to have almost all you need. Visit Minnesota in the first week of January. If you still like it, you will love it. The driftless area is beautiful. Up North is better (like North of Little Falls). MN has scenery but not like the Pacific Northwest (but what else does?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul