Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:05 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,065,208 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is 3 years old but in the past 3 years have you found anywhere thats close to Cuautla, Mexico or Cuernavaca, Mexico Granada, Nicaragua? It would be my dream place too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 03:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Try Montreal.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Haven't found anything. The block I live on now is friendly and people are pretty engaged for events like National Night Out, etc. but there is a severe lack of communal beer drinking, so it's alot more boring in that regard.

I'm convinced that due to the nature of American society that type of neighborhood will never exist. We are a working society, everybody is on the go all-the-time, things move too fast and nobody seems to have time to hang out. People here are less family-oriented and more individualistic. Plus our society has too many rules. In Latin America there really aren't any enforced rules and as a result it creates a much more laid-back atmosphere. It's alot more common to see a bunch of guys standing around drinking in public, with random stray dogs walking about, etc. I don't really know how to describe it, but you never really see that kind of thing here and it makes the neighborhood ambience much more tame and boring as a result.

My wife is from Mexico originally and she claims she likes Minneapolis more than her hometown but we both agree that it's far more boring here. Everybody needs a little anarchy every now and then...at least that's how I feel.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 09-09-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 AM

19 posts, read 41,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
a 24 hour block party where everybody is chill and friendly to everybody. I've been to a few places like that in my life and none of those are in the United States. Is there any place remotely like that in Minnesota? If there is I wanna live there.
I have found places like this in rural texas. been here two years and have made one friend. If you find this place in Minnesota I would like to know as well. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
On our block during the summer it's like an every weekday afternoon block party, with everyone sitting out on their lawns and migrating from yard to yard. It's mostly mothers with young kids and sometimes retirees, though, since everyone else is at work. Random neighbors walk by and stop, too. No beer drinking, though, but it's as close as I've seen around here to what you're describing (although not nearly the same thing, admittedly). Try to carve out the time to hang out day in and day out in your front yard and maybe eventually you'll create your ideal neighborhood, or at least block. I think it's true, though, that American society just isn't very good for that.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,474 times
It changes from year to year. I remember the Powderhorn neighborhood being that way in the 1980's, until the poverty and attendant ills sucked the life out of the area.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Going on the other thread, The old Minneapolis Skid Row in the lower loop appears to be closer to what I'm looking for than anything currently in the Twin Cities, a little bit too much fighting, theft and idiotic drunk antics for my tastes though.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,474 times
Here's an interesting Utopian community running in Switzerland:

How I Found Utopia // Current

Kinda like Stonemill Farms - with free weed!

Last edited by audadvnc; 09-09-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
In our neighborhood on any given night in the summer someone is usually having a bonfire in the back yard, bring a beer and a chair. We had this in our old town too. Heck, we even get together once/year with our old neighbors for a bonfire and beer. We used to stock our fridge with several types of beer we knew our friends liked so we were ready when they would stop by on a walk or whatnot.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,015 times
Every year at NNO our block vows to all get together more often during the year, but there are a lot of us who do end up hanging out a fair amount throughout the year (esp summertime). Besides BBQs, fires in the backyard, on-the-fly dinners, etc.- many of us are out walking, gardening, or sitting on our front porches at nights or on weekends- so we often spend a lot of time talking with each other and/or hanging out to the point where it can be hard to actually get yard work done when you need to. A number of us have also taken to sharing/bartering things- fire pits, BBQs, mulch, plants, the ocassional truck or trailer, etc. ....it's nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul