Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 13,997 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking for an elementary school for my daughter next year. I work in the Roseville, MN area and we currently rent in Golden Valley. I am looking at school options - public, charter, private and we are willing to move for a good school.

Is cost the primary reason most people choose a public school here in MN or are there other reasons? What if you could afford the tuition?

I am also curious why the Wayzata public elementary schools are ranked so high. Are they in the same league as Blake and Breck?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
I can only speak for myself, I think cost not being a factor, MOST private schools have smaller classes, smaller schools, and less gov't intervention which just allows them more overall focus. Rather than focusing on being a catch all safety net, they can focus more on accelerated education.

But in MN, we have some of the best public schools in the country. So, cost does end up being the deciding factor, because by forgoing private schools (and the cost), you aren't having to "settle" as much as you would in other parts of the country.

Don't confuse private schools with Charter schools however, which are no cost as well and tend to have a particular bent/focus (STEM, athletics, etc.)

I think the last factor, and it's a big one for many, is the religion/belief system. I'm a Christian, and in my circles, many don't want their children to grow up with secular teachings and influences (public school), thus they pay for a private Christian school (or homeschool). Not trying to make this into any kind of debate, just making you aware of this driver as well.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 AM

11 posts, read 13,997 times
Thank you for your thoughts. We are not Christians but want our children to have good values and be good citizens. We also want them to have a well rounded education and have opportunities to try arts, music, a second language etc.

Having said that, is it true that in public schools, they will have limited opportunities to try extra curricular activities given the class sizes?

Old 10-04-2017, 10:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitd79 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. We are not Christians but want our children to have good values and be good citizens. We also want them to have a well rounded education and have opportunities to try arts, music, a second language etc.

Having said that, is it true that in public schools, they will have limited opportunities to try extra curricular activities given the class sizes?
No, if anything I'm thinking a public school will have more extracurricular options. That said, if you are referring to "making it on" a sports team in a school the size of Wayzata, then yes, there is more competition for spots at a large school. I do know parents that moved to somewhere with a smaller highschool simply so their children could "make the team" at the smaller school.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:53 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
No, if anything I'm thinking a public school will have more extracurricular options. That said, if you are referring to "making it on" a sports team in a school the size of Wayzata, then yes, there is more competition for spots at a large school. I do know parents that moved to somewhere with a smaller highschool simply so their children could "make the team" at the smaller school.
There will be more extracurricular options at one of the more expensive private schools (Breck, Blake, Minnehaha, SPA, etc.) just because they have a bigger budget for them. These schools also offer significant financial assistance so cost need not be a barrier.

Also a little different view on the desirability of a Christian school. Rather than an attempt to isolate our child from a secular world, we choose Minnehaha Academy to ensure that her education was infused with Christian values and teaching. We also knew that the teachers are all Christians and saw great value in surrounding her with Christian adults.

Last edited by Glenfield; 10-04-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: