Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM

79 posts, read 85,675 times

Advertisements

I’m having a hard time following this discussion. You are not a tree. You can leave the state. Who cares about a list or a statistic if you are truly unhappy? You’re doing yourself a disservice by staying in a perpetual state of unhappiness. You deserve better than that. Your family does as well. Find a state that appeals to you and give it a shot. Yes, it’s hard to pack up and move, but it’s not impossible. You’re in control of your emotions and your destiny. Look at yourself in the mirror and say, “We’re getting out of this!”

Stop looking at things that make you unhappy. Go and look for the things that will make you happy instead. There are many experiences, places, cultures, and things to take in. Find those opportunities and start enjoying life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:35 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
"What I am referring to is if someone doesn't agree with you, you go off the deep end."

how ironic

Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM

329 posts, read 459,527 times
I just want to make sure, I am not trying to bash Minnesota, Minnesota people, that is not my intention.

My family has lived here for ten years. We have had plenty of amazing experiences here. There are plenty of good, decent people that live in Minnesota. People that look out for you and would do anything to help.
If your car broke down and you were in the side of the freeway, plenty of folks would help you. There's no doubt about that.

We also have lived in other places OUTSIDE of Minnesota.

What we have liked about Minnesota- schools, medical/doctors, generally friendly people that look out for you and have your best interest in mind. And yes, while there are many things for families to do here, that doesn't mean that your entire family will be happy LIVING here.

If you want to make FRIENDS here, then joining a church will help TREMENDOUSLY. I've made good friends through clubs, at work, etc. but church was by far the fastest way to make friends in Minnesota for us.

My point is more for people that don't deal with the weather and other things that make it a good place to live. I am not going to go into those things because I don't want to cause a massive debate about that but I know that you know what I mean.

When I see those lists that say "Best place to raise a family" I would say that maybe for some families but certainly not all families.

That's all. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
I just want to make sure, I am not trying to bash Minnesota, Minnesota people, that is not my intention.
That wasn't the impression I got at all, so no harm, no foul.

Quote:
What we have liked about Minnesota- schools, medical/doctors, generally friendly people that look out for you and have your best interest in mind. And yes, while there are many things for families to do here, that doesn't mean that your entire family will be happy LIVING here.
Of course you're right about all this. No place is perfect for everyone.

Quote:
I am not going to go into those things because I don't want to cause a massive debate about that but I know that you know what I mean.
Honestly not sure that I do. If you mean not everyone will like living here due to winter...of course that's true!

Quote:
When I see those lists that say "Best place to raise a family" I would say that maybe for some families but certainly not all families.
Of course 'best of' lists should be taken with a grain of salt. Of course no one place is best for everyone.

My point is that
Quote:
Twin Cities media has managed to manipulate a lot of national media outlets, websites, etc. everywhere.
is just plain silly talk. The Twin Cities look great from many angles on paper. That doesn't mean it is all things to all people or that everyone will necessarily be happy here, nor does it mean you shouldn't believe what you read, but rather that you should interpret what you read with common sense.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t takes those click-bait top ten lists with a grain of salt, or who believes that any location is best for everyone.

If the OP’s message is don’t believe everything you read and people can make strong friendships through their church, I can get behind that.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Don't believe everything you read and hear. We all are at least aware of this. But I have not realized how really impacted I was by this.

Over the years, I have been concerned about various "reports" that I hear
from Twin Cities media (at least the ones that I have perused) about a variety of topics.
One example is the Twin Cities media FIRESTORM, yes the media firestorm that I don't believe was created by people actually living here, when Andrew Zimmern complained about the lack of quality Chinese restaurants in the Twin Cities. Sure, Andrew Zimmern just started his own Chinese restaurant here-however-let's be real, he's also travelled extensively outside of the Minnesota, all over America, and around the world. So he has some kind of informed opinion, right?

Some of the Twin Cities media outlets said that certain Chinese chefs were "outraged" and "insulted" and I know for a FACT that that is just not what I have heard, and seen, and experienced.
Right.

You've spoken to all the Chinese chefs in the Twin Cities and they all assured you that they were not insulted when Zimmern called Midwestern Chinese restaurants 'horse****'. Sure. Whatever you say.

Not that I care about their offense. It's subjective and Zimmern is certainly entitled to his opinion. But it's hard to take anyone seriously when they claim that they 'know for a FACT' than an entire industry is totally unoffended by being labelled as producers of 'horse****'

Quote:
But it goes further. Twin Cities media has managed to manipulate a lot of national media outlets, websites, etc. everywhere.

Why? Why would they do such a thing? Money. Plain and simple. The more people that live here, the more money they make.
Whoa. So you're saying that the Twin Cities has developed a diabolical plan of self-promotion? My God, that's brilliant! I wonder why no other metropolitan areas have never thought of this?

Quote:
You have to ask yourself, who is benefitting from these reports? Who? I am talking about these reports about Top Ten Lists of best places to list, and Minneapolis being on every single one of them, and all the time, year after year, after year.

Yes, the Twin Cities has a LOT of jobs, a TON. You will be well-employed here if your career field is here. Also, in a number of categories, the Twin Cities really is at the top of the list. Quality of health care, fair access to services, etc.

But there are other considerations for families. What it is actually like living here, etc. The day-to-day here.

Some people are really not affected by cold weather. But some of us are. And those sentiments, and the daily life here, day to day life here, will affect you, it will affect your spouse, and it will affect your family.

If you are happy living here, that is fantastic. But if you aren't, then be at least aware of the reports you are bombarded with every day.

The Twin Cities IS a great place to host the Super Bowl. It is a great place to host the NCAA basketball tournament. But for some families, it is not a great place to LIVE.

You have to be honest with yourself, you have to talk to your spouse, you have to talk to your family, and not just listen to these reports, because some reports that you read or see just have an agenda, and they were not truly unbiased and objective.

Because it's not worth it for you and/or your family to fall apart. It's important that you, and/or your family, are truly happy living here.

Also, if you truly do like living here, and your spouse and family truly like living here, but you find that you are not making many friends, find and join a community church of some kind. Our family has found that you can meet a lot of people that way, and it gets past the "Minnesota Nice" kind of stuff. We've been here for ten years, and it's one of the quickest way to meet people in Minnesota from my experience and my family's experience.

City-Data is an amazing tool and resource, and I hope that everyone reading this can truly be happy living where they are living.
Your deep insight is that the Twin Cities isn't for everyone? Well... duh. Yes, I know a lot of homers get butt-hurt over that fact, but that's hardly unique to the Twin Cities. Every place - city, state, region, country, whatever - teems with people who get all bent out of shape over the notion that there might be other places that suit a particular person or family better.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:16 AM

192 posts, read 186,129 times
Quote:
Thank you MnMomma. This was exactly the point I was trying to make.
I would also be nice to have more women on these discussion boards because we
certainly need a variety of perspectives.
I was actually on your side, for the most part, until I read this sexist post.

I've lived in Minnesota for many years but have also lived all over the U.S. and in several different countries, too. Just like you.

The media is always, always, ALWAYS biased and has their own agenda. There isn't a single main stream media source, whether televised or in print, that is neutral. I'll even go a step further and say that they will ALL outright lie (and have) to push their biases and agenda, too.

As for the Twin Cities, I'll keep my personal opinion (based on 20+ years of experience living here) to myself because part of that experience is the extreme intolerance of differing opinions and the open and unashamed bashing of them.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:07 PM

117 posts, read 161,239 times
Quote:
Also, if you truly do like living here, and your spouse and family truly like living here, but you find that you are not making many friends, find and join a community church of some kind. Our family has found that you can meet a lot of people that way, and it gets past the "Minnesota Nice" kind of stuff. We've been here for ten years, and it's one of the quickest way to meet people in Minnesota from my experience and my family's experience.
Interesting. As a MN native and lifelong churchgoer, I have had the opposite experience. I have found church groups to be the most exclusive, cliquey, hard to break in part of social life here. As a kid, I never made friends with kids in church; they all seemed primarily preoccupied with their established social groups, and most of my friends were neighbors or classmates. As an adult, I found certain neighbors and families from my kids' school (along with one of my former co-workers) much more open/friendly and easier to connect with than people at church, even after making an effort to get involved in small groups.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
Interesting. As a MN native and lifelong churchgoer, I have had the opposite experience. I have found church groups to be the most exclusive, cliquey, hard to break in part of social life here. As a kid, I never made friends with kids in church; they all seemed primarily preoccupied with their established social groups, and most of my friends were neighbors or classmates. As an adult, I found certain neighbors and families from my kids' school (along with one of my former co-workers) much more open/friendly and easier to connect with than people at church, even after making an effort to get involved in small groups.
Interesting. My experience was just the opposite. I have made close friends through church but work acquaintances were not true friends. In the end, we only had the job in common.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:01 PM

329 posts, read 459,527 times
Hello again,

Thank you for your perspectives, I really appreciate that. I value a lot of different ideas and feedback and City-Data posters and their insight. Minnesota has been good to our family. While we love the town where we live currently, we believe that it has been 10 years and our family is making the decision to move. We are seeking better job opportunities for my family member, and he was born and raised here so he does have roots here. Interestingly, his parents have also made the decision with us to move as well. They were thinking about it but never had the right opportunity and some new opportunities may have come along just recently. We all have to do what is best for our family. The weather here unfortunately negatively affects our family life and we as parents have to be happy and healthy for your children to be happy and healthy. We stayed in Minnesota for our family, and that has been a good decision. But it's also a good decision for us to move. It's a decision that we make with heavy hearts but knowing it's the right one for us.

Years ago, when I asked City-Data for ideas about where to live, putting our criteria down-
one particular town in Minnesota was mentioned by at least two City-Data users, and that town has been truly amazing. We were unable to move there immediately, but we visited and liked it. Then we kept coming back and still liked it. We visited with our dog and people everywhere were so good to her. We visited more and more, and yes, same awesome experiences. Our family has really enjoyed living here, and will always keep the friendships that we made here. This town has stood out like no other we have experienced in Minnesota, and we have been all over the Twin Cities.

Neighbors here have been amazing. We joined a local church and met good friends there.

We go to the grocery store and people are not rude here, but friendly. In fact, my husband can't leave the grocery store without random people in this amazing town striking up a conversation with him.

There are people in this town of all different ages, races, backgrounds, etc. and everyone is welcome and every day I am so impressed and inspired by how people treat each other here. Anywhere and everywhere we go, people are friendly to each other.

These experiences have been unique to this town, which I think is a fantastic location to raise a family. I feel
very lucky to have found this town.

I am going to name this town because I want others to experience what we have experienced.

It's the town of Hastings, Minnesota.

If you've never visited, I encourage you to do so. I think you will be pleasantly surprised about what you'll find.

Thank you Hastings, for all you have done for us. We're better people for having known you, and we hope that you will only grow stronger as a town. You are a truly remarkable place.

And thank you City-Data, and City-Data users, because without your help, I don't know if we would have ever discovered this special town of Hastings.

As I mentioned earlier, I really hope that everyone finds a great place to live, because life is too short to not be happy where you are.

Last edited by Sunbrite; 01-14-2019 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul