Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 AM

192 posts, read 190,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Thank you Hastings, for all you have done for us. We're better people for having known you, and we hope that you will only grow stronger as a town. You are a truly remarkable place.
I am truly very happy for you that you found a place that resonates so well with you! By the sounds of it, Hastings will be blessed by having you there, too. From my brief experiences in Hastings, I've always thought the town was picturesque with a bit of old world charm. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,498,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
I am truly very happy for you that you found a place that resonates so well with you! By the sounds of it, Hastings will be blessed by having you there, too. From my brief experiences in Hastings, I've always thought the town was picturesque with a bit of old world charm. Congratulations!
Uh.....I think they're leaving Hastings, not arriving.

This whole thread has been like trying to construct a puzzle on a bed of cool whip.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

329 posts, read 462,305 times
yes we are looking at job opportunities elsewhere but
we loved Hastings and for those who are looking
for where to live in the Twin Cities, we found the kindest people in Hastings.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,193,362 times
Quote:
yes we are looking at job opportunities elsewhere but
we loved Hastings and for those who are looking
for where to live in the Twin Cities, we found the kindest people in Hastings.
Hastings is a great town!

Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 AM

776 posts, read 1,069,530 times
Quote:
You have to be honest with yourself, you have to talk to your spouse, you have to talk to your family, and not just listen to these reports, because some reports that you read or see just have an agenda, and they were not truly unbiased and objective.

Because it's not worth it for you and/or your family to fall apart. It's important that you, and/or your family, are truly happy living here.
THis is one spot on comment though. I do agree with this. Everyone should be on board.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:12 AM

225 posts, read 213,759 times
Quote:
You have to ask yourself, who is benefitting from these reports? Who? I am talking about these reports about Top Ten Lists of best places to list, and Minneapolis being on every single one of them, and all the time, year after year, after year.
That's because, if you can tolerate cold weather and a particular sort of culture, then it probably is one of the better places to live. If you can't then you'll never be happy. Whenever I meet someone who is unhappy or plans to move, one or both of these is usually the reason why.

What do people look for in a place to live? Affordable, quality housing, employment opportunities, safety, good recreation, a sense of belonging. The last is debatable but the rest can clearly be found in the Twin Cities metro area, while several major cities are lacking in these attributes. This is why the TC might rank higher than them.

Quote:
Some people are really not affected by cold weather. But
If you are happy living here, that is fantastic. But if you aren't, then be at least aware of the reports you are bombarded with every day.
Some of it's hype. If you've moved at least once you learn to ignore hype and see for yourself.

Frankly, the hype and positive spin here isn't as high as with some other cities. Even on city-data you have sub-forums that will lock or delete threads that are perceived to be negative towards their state or city.

But the positive reports on the Twin Cities are mostly genuine. I think. Depending on a person's background and personality they may have a completely different experience than someone living in the same neighborhood, forget about the same city or metro area. If it's a positive report it's not that they are trying to deceive you, it's what they know and have experienced (same with a negative report). This is why one should always test for themselves. Hopefully before they've laid down roots that can make it more difficult to leave.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:58 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,459,820 times
I disagree with the OP. I feel that people should believe every word they read or hear about Minnesota. Furthermore, whatever the media is saying about Andrew Zimmern is true and every local Chinese restaurant chef I’ve talked to is absolutely disgusted by his comments.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,051,109 times
Quote:
And let's take a closer look at who is primarily on these discussion boards.

I am someone that is looking out for her family, and I have also lived in other parts of the United States and around the world.

Some folks on here have not.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, however, since City-Data is primarily a tool for those that are moving, I would hope that you would be respectful to those that actually come on here to get that information. Whether they choose to believe it or not, that's up to them.

Online discussions can be very interesting, but at the end of the day City-Data is not my entire life. For some others out there, it is, and that's why you see some of the responses that you see on here.

What I am referring to is if someone doesn't agree with you, you go off the deep end.

If this doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it.

But if someone posts something on here about their experiences with where they have lived, and you don't agree with it, that's fine.

But what is not okay is if you try to make that person feel less than for simply stating that opinion.

And believe me, I've been reading discussions on City-Data for a long time, and there is plenty of that going on.

This is not a "conspiracy theory." I am simply saying that some folks have an agenda.

I do too. My agenda is to make sure that people get an accurate representation of life in Minnesota.

Twin Cities media outlets agenda is to make sure as many people as possible move here so that they keep making money.

All I hope for everyone that uses City-Data as a tool and resources (and for whom City-Data discussion boards is not THEIR ENTIRE LIFE) then I hope that you and your family find a place to live that you truly enjoy.

Oh Grasshopper- you committed the most egregious of sins! One of the most horrible sins a Minnesotan can commit: you implied that Minnesota esp the Twin Cities is NOT perfect!!
Remember these points:
The Twin Cities are perfect.
Minnesota is better than Heaven itself.
Minnesotans are perfect.
The refs took the game away from the Vikings.
ANYONE not 100% happy here obviously is a terrible, horrible person.

Follow and believe these words as if they were the Word of God, for then and ONLY then, will you be accepted in the " Great" State of Minnesota!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:26 PM

10,929 posts, read 11,786,922 times
I lived there for about 10 years in 70s. The winters finally wore on me.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:26 PM

4,429 posts, read 2,752,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Oh Grasshopper- you committed the most egregious of sins! One of the most horrible sins a Minnesotan can commit: you implied that Minnesota esp the Twin Cities is NOT perfect!!
Remember these points:
The Twin Cities are perfect.
Minnesota is better than Heaven itself.
Minnesotans are perfect.
The refs took the game away from the Vikings.
ANYONE not 100% happy here obviously is a terrible, horrible person.

Follow and believe these words as if they were the Word of God, for then and ONLY then, will you be accepted in the " Great" State of Minnesota!
Actually, one poster after another has acknowledged that no place is perfect and that the Twin Cities are not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Though it is a fact that the Twin Cities do well by many metrics, that is not the same as "it would be great for all people and all people will be happy here".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t takes those click-bait top ten lists with a grain of salt, or who believes that any location is best for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Your deep insight is that the Twin Cities isn't for everyone? Well... duh.
You're flailing away at nothing but a strawman of your own making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul