Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:21 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis has a pretty cool skyline as is, but I am wondering if there are any confirmed, green-light projects 30 floors or higher under way? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Minneapolis has a pretty cool skyline as is, but I am wondering if there are any confirmed, green-light projects 30 floors or higher under way? Thanks
I personally don’t know of any, but I agree about the skyline. I’ve lived in and around 7 major cities and the Minneapolis skyline is my favorite.....especially that majestic view coming in from the north on 35W. The buildings just seem to rise up from the outside into a big crescendo at the highest point. Very dense, spectacular skyline. I almost wish they wouldn’t add to it because I think it’s perfect as it is now.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

A few proposed here, along with stuff already well-underway or recently completed:

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/maps/crane-watch

Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
The Business Journal site is helpful, but to directly answer your question, there are two buildings under construction with 30 stories or more:
Eleven, a 41-story ultra-luxury Condo Tower, designed by NY architect Robert AM Stern
Gateway, a 38-story mixed-use Tower with Office, hotel and residential condo components

In addition to various forums discussing skyscrapers, another great site covering new development is:

https://www.tdtmpls.com/news

Old 10-26-2019, 07:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
As MplsTodd said, the super-luxe, 550-foot high, Eleven has broken ground on West River Parkway (the smallest units will sell for more than $1 million):

And the 519-foot high Gateway is well underway, which will house the US Headquarters of RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) Wealth Management, plus a Four Seasons Hotel topped by luxury condos at the intersection of Nicollet & Washington:

In addition, the 400+foot North Loop Green is proposed next to Target Field:

https://alatusllc.com/228-s-12th-st/"]Alatus is working on a new 348' skyway-connected apartment tower on 12th Street across the street from the Minneapolis Convention Center:

Shorter projects include the new 220 Hennepin apartment building at Hennepin & Washington downtown:

And the somewhat https://www.opus-group.com/"]disappointing project by Opus, called 301 Nicollet at Nicollet & 3rd, which is a prime location that calls for a much larger and inventive and iconic building than this:

[Mod edit: deleted copyrighted pictures]

Last edited by elnina; 11-22-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-26-2019, 09:22 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Maybe we need a 60 story building of 240 SF apartments.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:03 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Eleven looks out of place, shouldn't it be closer to downtown? I lived in Cedar Riverside, when it was Cedar Square West, back in the 70's, and if you recall, there were to be 10 phases, Cedar Square West being the first phase with 1300 units. I once had a 2 bedroom on the 38th floor of the McKnight tower. Phase II was to be 2 44 story towers near the river, but the Nimby's, at the time, blocked the bulldozers to the site, and it was never to be built. This West Bank community, designed by McKnight/Gloria Segal was to encompass 30,000 people. It was designed to be an experimental community with the rich, middle class and poor all living together. I understand now the Somalians have taken over Cedar Riverside.

I'd rather see any kind of high rise being built as opposed to these wooden, fire-trap 5 story jobbies they're building all over the country, and Minneapolis, unfortunately, has built a number of them. I wouldn't live in one of those buildings if the rent was free. They're building 4 of these in my original neighborhood, lower Nicollet, near Loring Park. I'm sure the Latino's who are working on these buildings are shaking their heads in wonder, as everything in Mexico, even single family homes, are built of concrete.

Since I left Mpls. in 1993, I've kept up on developments via skyscraperpage.com or skyscrapercity.com.

And where are all the displaced headed with all the gentrification going on in central Minneapolis?

Old 10-27-2019, 06:15 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Maybe we need a 60 story building of 240 SF apartments.
When Norwest Bank decided to build their new tower, it was designed to go taller than the IDS tower, but the city council, then, didn't want any new tower to be higher than the IDS building. I remember that from living there through the 70's and 80's. I hope that's no longer in effect, so one day, a 1000 footer can rise to the skies in downtown Minneapolis.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:29 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When Norwest Bank decided to build their new tower, it was designed to go taller than the IDS tower, but the city council, then, didn't want any new tower to be higher than the IDS building. I remember that from living there through the 70's and 80's. I hope that's no longer in effect, so one day, a 1000 footer can rise to the skies in downtown Minneapolis.
Had Norwest built a building taller than the IDS they would have had to pay to relocate all the radio antennas and they didn’t want the additional costs which would have been substantial. Same thing happened when First Bank built their new headquarters a few years later. The city council wasn’t involved and the same obstacle is there today.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I remember when the Foshay Tower was the tallest building, towering over all the teeny tiny buildings below and what a thrill it was to go up to the observation on top. How upset everyone was when they built the atrocious IDS building and how it was going to ruin the skyline. I don't mind new buildings so much. I do hope they preserve the older three story parts that still exist however. It would take away some of the charm it they went away. But I imagine the owners would make a hefty profit if sold.

Picture of Foshay and old skyline.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/169940585909146494/

Last edited by Izzie1213; 10-27-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul