Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times

Advertisements

The following applies only to a typical office worker in a large corporation...

Our local Fortune 500 company had a virtual Happy Hour late on Friday. We showed up in a Webex meeting in our preferred WFH (Work From Home) garb and talked through what works and doesn't work in a WFH model, while imbibing with our favorite spirits. It worked wonders with our team.

The resulting meeting was good and enlightening. Getting up in the morning, getting showered/dressed as if you are going into the office is a big psychological plus. It orients you to a "work mode" even though you might be working on a laptop in your living room.

You might be dealing with kids. Depending on their ages, you set a "No Go" period (or two or three) during the day when you are unavailable because of your prior commitment to essential meetings. Kids are far more flexible than you might give them credit for. Ban them from interrupting you during these critical moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
The following applies only to a typical office worker in a large corporation...

Our local Fortune 500 company had a virtual Happy Hour late on Friday. We showed up in a Webex meeting in our preferred WFH (Work From Home) garb and talked through what works and doesn't work in a WFH model, while imbibing with our favorite spirits. It worked wonders with our team.

The resulting meeting was good and enlightening. Getting up in the morning, getting showered/dressed as if you are going into the office is a big psychological plus. It orients you to a "work mode" even though you might be working on a laptop in your living room.

You might be dealing with kids. Depending on their ages, you set a "No Go" period (or two or three) during the day when you are unavailable because of your prior commitment to essential meetings. Kids are far more flexible than you might give them credit for. Ban them from interrupting you during these critical moments.
I used to work for General Mills, and those I know there are mostly working from home. Mostly - there are still people who need to be onsite. Given that nature of things, they should be all right. Every trip I take to the store reminds me that the prepared foods industry is doing brisk business these days.

Now I'm in an essential services position which gets me out and about. My kindergarten-teacher wife is mostly stuck at home, though with the improving weather she's talking a lot of walks, including with friends - they meet at the destination and stay apart but within conversing distance.

It's a surreal world out there. This week is going to be a wild ride, both with the domestic situation regarding the spread of the virus and with the economic fallout. And every subsequent week for an indeterminate amount of time looks like it will be progressively worse.

This unfolding event is still in its early stages.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:39 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Menards apparently is packed this weekend. At least their business will be helped by the so-called shutdown.

Many people taking advantage of it to get to work on projects at home. For their sake I really hope they don't aquire anything while out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Likely traveled through Cheeseville on the way here, should look into travel restrictions from there
Cuomo is not a at all happy about Orange Man telling him to knock off allowing his folks to flee to FL.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:37 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2020, 11:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Likely traveled through Cheeseville on the way here, should look into travel restrictions from there
Completely uncalled for, but not an unexpected comment. WI might have more cases, because they have more people. A smaller state, but more people. Also, Milwaukee and Chicago are close, and there's a lot of back and forth. No one I know goes to Minnesota, and I know several from Minnesota who come to WI. Maybe you should restrict Minnesotans from crossing the border. I'm guessing your restrictions would go for every state...keep them all out of Minnesota, lol, because there are a lot more cases in Washington, California, NY. Such an air of superiority...

Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Completely uncalled for, but not an unexpected comment. WI might have more cases, because they have more people. A smaller state, but more people. Also, Milwaukee and Chicago are close, and there's a lot of back and forth. No one I know goes to Minnesota, and I know several from Minnesota who come to WI. Maybe you should restrict Minnesotans from crossing the border. I'm guessing your restrictions would go for every state...keep them all out of Minnesota, lol, because there are a lot more cases in Washington, California, NY. Such an air of superiority...
One shouldn't need to be familiar with Ghengis' posting history to detect the tongue-in-cheek nature of his post.

In other words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0

Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
One shouldn't need to be familiar with Ghengis' posting history to detect the tongue-in-cheek nature of his post.

In other words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0
Gotcha!

Old 04-03-2020, 01:25 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Maybe they have more cases because most people from Wisconsin stay drunk from the time they can walk and as such aren't very good listeners.

Or not.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:11 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
I thought the deaths were supposed to double every day, back like 10-14 days ago?

Has that model been accurate?

I am guessing the "social distancing" is doing something, but I can't stress how little it seems "social distancing" is being carried out, both from the people I see in public and at one of the buildings I work.

I also have heard that recently, Italy, which has had one of the strictest "social distancing" models of any country, recently had a hundred or so people who were assumed "healthy" to donate blood, and a staggering 70% of them tested positive for the Virus. In other words, we might "social distance" the rest of our lives and a great many of us could still not have any symptoms and be "carriers".

Old 04-09-2020, 09:36 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I thought the deaths were supposed to double every day, back like 10-14 days ago?

Has that model been accurate?

I am guessing the "social distancing" is doing something, but I can't stress how little it seems "social distancing" is being carried out, both from the people I see in public and at one of the buildings I work.

I also have heard that recently, Italy, which has had one of the strictest "social distancing" models of any country, recently had a hundred or so people who were assumed "healthy" to donate blood, and a staggering 70% of them tested positive for the Virus. In other words, we might "social distance" the rest of our lives and a great many of us could still not have any symptoms and be "carriers".
They had a U disease doctor on KFAN many weeks ago, he said most who get it won't even notice, slight cough, runny nose briefly and that's it. Have things changed? I love how the news only reports deaths, but never the 97% who survived it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul