Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 12:15 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times

Advertisements

Well there goes the entire city’s property values, commercial and residential, down the tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 12:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This honorable councilmember is not walking back anything, he is saying exactly what was circulated in the media that they are working to replace the MPD with social workers.

The ONLY new thing he said in this facebook post is that the plan they come up with will be put to a citywide vote. So he just gave himself an out
My daughter is a social worker, and there is no way in he**, that she can replace a policeman. No. way.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
My daughter is a social worker, and there is no way in he**, that she can replace a policeman. No. way.
She's not sociopathic enough for that. Kudos for raising your daughter right.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
What? You mean she can't step in and stop drunks from fighting or men from beating their wives after their favorite football team just lost? /s That violent time of the year is just around the corner.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:35 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
News mentioned this morning that it would come down to a vote from all people in the city, not just 9 city council members high on something.
City councils vote on budgets, not the general population. That is why they can threaten to defund the police; they can't eliminate the police but if no money is allocated for salaries, then what? The city council can also rip up union contracts.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
She's not sociopathic enough for that. Kudos for raising your daughter right.
Thank you! She was a social worker in Milwaukee (now, a SAH mom), who had the meanest neighborhood in the city. She and an RN, would make their home visits early in the mornings (starting at 9ish), with the hope that those out late the night before, would be sleeping. She loved the people she worked with (geriatric population), and never had a problem. One thing she didn't like, though, were dogs locked behind a door, lunging at it to get out, as a stranger was in the house.

We've discussed this City Council plan for Minneapolis, and she said there is no way they could be expected to do the work of the police. For the most part, they are women, often younger, with a lot of empathy, who have their hearts in the right place, but they are not are not trained to control violence. If faced with violence, they call 911. Not sure how one would think a 911 call, should go to a social worker, neighbor, or family member, as proposed. I know they're backtracking now, on their plans revealed yesterday, but I think they're only backtracking, because of the uproar by many. Now, people are being pacified, and I say, their intent is still the same...they're just approaching it with a little more finesse.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:07 PM

7,111 posts, read 4,536,107 times
As a former social worker some cities have crisis teams of a social worker and cop. The social worker de-escalates the situation and hopefully get the person some help. The cop is there in case it’s needed. One profession doesn’t completely replace the other. I worked in Wisconsin and was often sent into people’s homes alone. I did carry pepper spray. If I felt the client was dangerous I would meet them in a public place.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
City councils vote on budgets, not the general population. That is why they can threaten to defund the police; they can't eliminate the police but if no money is allocated for salaries, then what? The city council can also rip up union contracts.
The Minneapolis city charter requires a minimum number of police officers based on population. Currently, that number is 723 and the charter can’t be changed without a vote of the citizens of Minneapolis. Also, the city cannot “rip up” contracts. That’s basic contract law. Other than that, though, spot on post.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:18 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Somebody mentioned on radio today, that the 9 council members broke a MN assembly law when they got together at this rally and started coming up with a plan.

What really needs to be changed is the police union. Top guy needs to be forced into retirement. I have a feeling this and procedures they have need to be redone.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:48 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Somebody mentioned on radio today, that the 9 council members broke a MN assembly law when they got together at this rally and started coming up with a plan.
If true any taxpayer resident in Minneapolis would have standing to file a lawsuit. Who is going to do it first (I'm not holding my breath in seeing ACLU support)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul