Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
That's apples to oranges - you're comparing a hellhole that was always a hellhole to a hellhole that not too long ago was a viable option for those trying to escape the insane housing costs on the coasts. I highly doubt there are too many New Yorkers and Bostonians considering the current, post-Saint Fentanylus ascension Minneapolis where a quick beer run in previously fashionable Uptown can now easily end with one less car and/or one more bullet hole.
I’m curious to know where you’re located because I’ve seen several statements you’ve made recently that don’t get close to matching reality. This is coming from someone who has lived in Minneapolis city limits continuously since 2008 (I’m typing this message right now from Minneapolis). I was the victim of a few property crimes between 2008-2011 and haven’t been since. We had civil unrest and a crime uptick last year and I’m not denying this. However, this has not changed my overall sense of safety in the city. I feel absolutely safe here and I’m not concerned about my family’s safety. Additionally, I can state, with confidence, that I feel safer in Minneapolis than I did while living here in 2005 or between 2008-2012. Feel free to look at annual crime reports. You would see that objectively the city had higher crime rates per capita then vs. now.

Your rebuttal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 10:56 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m curious to know where you’re located because I’ve seen several statements you’ve made recently that don’t get close to matching reality. This is coming from someone who has lived in Minneapolis city limits continuously since 2008 (I’m typing this message right now from Minneapolis). I was the victim of a few property crimes between 2008-2011 and haven’t been since. We had civil unrest and a crime uptick last year and I’m not denying this. However, this has not changed my overall sense of safety in the city. I feel absolutely safe here and I’m not concerned about my family’s safety. Additionally, I can state, with confidence, that I feel safer in Minneapolis than I did while living here in 2005 or between 2008-2012. Feel free to look at annual crime reports. You would see that objectively the city had higher crime rates per capita then vs. now.

Your rebuttal?
Don't feed the troll!

I looked back at his history and it consists of two sentence word salads that are designed to inflame rather than elucidate. Just report him to the mods and ignore him because you are not going to get an intelligent debate.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:07 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
I asked you for an example of another city where armed robberies, shootings and carjackings have become commonplace in what's considered nicer parts that used to be perfectly safe, still waiting for that.

Quote:

Your rebuttal?

Old 03-12-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I asked you for an example of another city where armed robberies, shootings and carjackings have become commonplace in what's considered nicer parts that used to be perfectly safe, still waiting for that.
I can’t provide an honest answer to a dishonest question, sorry.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:01 PM

Wait, so any question that does not fit your agenda is dishonest, is that how it works? It was a very simple question - can you name any other large US city where armed robberies, carjackings and shootings have recently become commonplace in what used to be affluent and safe neighborhoods? The only one I can personally think of is Chicago but they've always had that problem, it's not something new.

Quote:
I can’t provide an honest answer to a dishonest question, sorry.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:37 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Wait, so any question that does not fit your agenda is dishonest, is that how it works? It was a very simple question - can you name any other large US city where armed robberies, carjackings and shootings have recently become commonplace in what used to be affluent and safe neighborhoods? The only one I can personally think of is Chicago but they've always had that problem, it's not something new.
Seattle I would like think?

Old 03-12-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
None of that is commonplace. None of those things have happened in my neighborhood and they are relatively rare occurrences elsewhere in the city.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:01 PM

It is more or less a daily occurrence in parts of the city known for this type of activity but also happens at least on a weekly basis in places where it was completely unheard of not that long ago. Are you telling me all those reports were faked by Kkkroll and the Fox News? Also what will it take for you to admit crime is getting out of control, is everything nice and dandy until you yourself get dragged out of your car at gunpoint?

Quote:
None of that is commonplace. None of those things have happened in my neighborhood and they are relatively rare occurrences elsewhere in the city.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:04 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
It is more or less a daily occurrence in parts of the city known for this type of activity but also happens at least on a weekly basis in places where it was completely unheard of not that long ago. Are you telling me all those reports were faked by Kkkroll and the Fox News? Also what will it take for you to admit crime is getting out of control, is everything nice and dandy until you yourself get dragged out of your car at gunpoint?
Facebook precinct pages show crimes via people following scanners. I’ve heard helicopters and can read why they are in the general area. Same with amber alerts, I’ve know about them right when it’s happened, the amber alerts come an hour or two after.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:48 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I love the Twin City Area for starters. Even though the Northern Suburbs and Western WI are more "right" than I'd like to see that's just an irritant not really a deal breaker.
However, for other entertainment, indoors and outdoors and other major Cities that surround it, there's not much compared to other Major Cities.
For example, yea to the Straight West of Chicago may be lacking but up to the Northwest of it, Northeast, North and even South to some degree, you have Door County and the Lake Country (Lake Geneva for example) and Milwaukee and Madison within less than a 3 hour drive. You have Indianapolis just over 3 and St Louis and Detroit (for indoor rec opportunities) 4 to 5 hours.
Almost the same at Seattle. A huge amount of Outdoor Opportunities in each direction and Portland and Vancouver BC (border will most likely reopen by year's end) 3 hours or less. Even Spokane (not really a "major" city but still about 800k around there) is about the same distance that Madison WI is from Minneapolis.
Around Minneapolis, yea straight North and East and SE, there's plenty of Outdoor Recreation chances.
But no real major cities until you get to Milwaukee, 5 hours at least away, unless you consider Des Moines and Madison those, I don't. If the Black Hills and Badlands were 3 hours instead of at least 8 or 9, lol? Well you get the point. Straight West and South, there's no real cities less than 4 hours away (Fargo's the biggest and there's not even 300k around there) and the scenery sucks.
So am I the only one who thinks that MSP rocks but the neighbors, overall, are like, blah?
For sure it does. It's well known that the twin cities, when compared to many other cities (particularly along the coasts) are somewhat isolated. One needs to drive 9-ish hours to the black hills to really start to feel like they are in a different landscape.

And while it's nice to have lots of weekend trip opportunities, it can come with a cost. I live in ATL now, and it's great having mountains, oceans, others cities within 4 hours. But it does lead to weekender traffic, 3x the semi traffic, etc. I'd still rather have things close by, just chiming in that it does have drawbacks as well.

Thank goodness for the awesome airport, right?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul