Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 09:03 AM

370 posts, read 903,641 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on being up in the cities to take care of a few errands (North St. Paul, Snelling Ave in St. Paul with a hotel in downtown St. Paul). I'm planning to get around VIA Uber.

Rather than wade through media hysteria, can someone tell me if I can expect to be dealing with rioters, wannabe rioters or other street level social hassles? I can adjust my hotel, but the others not so much.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:59 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I'm planning on being up in the cities to take care of a few errands (North St. Paul, Snelling Ave in St. Paul with a hotel in downtown St. Paul). I'm planning to get around VIA Uber.

Rather than wade through media hysteria, can someone tell me if I can expect to be dealing with rioters, wannabe rioters or other street level social hassles? I can adjust my hotel, but the others not so much.

TIA
Pretty unlikely you would be dealing with any of that.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:17 AM

587 posts, read 563,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post

TIA
I used to live downtown and moved out two weeks prior to COVID. If you are staying downtown I would urge you to be just a tad bit more cautious and aware of your surroundings now as compared to pre-Covid times. I was downtown a couple of times over last summer. At that time, Kellogg Park had a homeless encampment in which every inch of the park was taken up by a tent. It is my understanding that the encampment was cleared out sometime over the winter due to multiple fires happening/safety concerns.
My personal opinion, as a person who had previously lived downtown, the lack of the hustle and bustle of the 9-5ers really changed the dynamics of how the downtown “feels” to me. I felt the lack of that hustle and bustle exacerbated the “street level social hassles”. Of course that was months ago, but do note that the major companies (Echolab and Securian) are all still working remotely.

Edited to add: re riots. Not sure what part of Snelling you will be at however Snelling and University was hit during the riots last year. If you are not paying attention to the Cauvin trial, the defense will be resting and the jury is expected to get the case on Monday the 19th. Depending on length of deliberations, your trip dates may may coincide with a return verdict.

Last edited by MsBall; 04-15-2021 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 11:53 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
It's very unlikely, however the metro area is a powder keg, in a sense no on can predict the next event.

It's probably equivalent to your chances of see s bear in the woods. Statistically unlikely, and you can't predict where, however it's somewhat out of your control

Old 04-15-2021, 06:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It's very unlikely, however the metro area is a powder keg, in a sense no on can predict the next event.

It's probably equivalent to your chances of see s bear in the woods. Statistically unlikely, and you can't predict where, however it's somewhat out of your control
We have had several bear encounters over the past years. Some have happened while hiking portions of the Superior Hiking Trail in Duluth, a few falls ago. On that event my dog and I were just south of the Spirit Mountain heading for the cut over across Skyline. We then noticed a large black bear and two cubs heading for us about three tenth of a mile from where we were crouching. I grabbed the dog collar and we remained quiet watching them approach. About half way to us she turned, and angled away to our left. That was awesome.

We had another close encounter while on a hiking trail at Flour Lake near the campground, In the Superior National Forest. As we were hiking along we heard to our left rustling and a general commotion going on very near us. Just like that two cubs ran scrambled up a white pine, with the mother close behind. We marveled at how beautiful they were. We stayed just a few minutes, then left the area so as not to stress them at all.

While on a solo canoe trip in the BWCAW, my dog and I had three bear encounters in two different days, with the second being twice on the same day. Having just one more portage to go, we reached the last lake on our route, shoving off I started off, and crossing the lake at the first of sites, there were two canoes with four men sitting fishing just off shore, when we approached closer they asked me if this was my site, no it was not, well there is a bear in it. I turned and to my amazement there was a beautiful black bear in some of the trippers packs. There was also damage to the rain tarp. I was amazed at how the fur of black met like a line the brown of the face and neck. We were maybe 200 feet away at the time.

Continuing on the next site we came to was taken, and so was the third site. It was a long section between sites 4 and 5, with site 5 being the target site that I wanted. About half way between 4 and 5 I met a guy in a kayak just lazily paddling along, we chatted a bit and he informed me site 5 was open. I told him about the first site and the bear that had been there, he said I hope the bear enjoys my food. We bid farewell, and I settled in at site 5. Two morning later, I was down in the fire cooking area, with the tent up behind me, about 200 feet away and my dog just between myself and the tent, about the same distance away. SHe started barking, and I looked out at the water thinking someone was going past, but no, and I turned to where she was looking and there was a black bear just behind the Duluth 4 pack and Duluth 3 pack. The only thing I could think of to do was grab my camera and approach while taking pictures and video. The bear stood up and I yelled real loud freaked out suddenly, it turned and walked up the latrine trail with me following at a safe but close distance. Wow, that was so amazing.

A few hours later I had my packs out and the vestivals on my tent open and the bear returned, this time I could not get close to it, and it disappeared into the woods. I decided then to leave this wonderful site, and by 1pm. I had the canoe and my dog loaded and we headed out of there, and decided to head on home.

There are many more stories that we have had with other bear encounters, and moose. This is all a benefit of living in Northeastern Minnesota. We are blessed.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,572 times
Would I personally stay in St. Paul or Minneapolis? No. Is most likely safe? Probably. Don't go wandering at night (how sad that the twin cities have reached the point of most third world countries) but during the day should be okay.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:11 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
According to a recent study, it's been found that Protesters and Non-Protesters taste the same to Bears. I'd just avoid the Bears. Highly unlikely but not impossible you'd encounter one in St Paul.

*note - Some Protesters are being seasoned with Hot Sauce. It's just possible the bears will develop a preference to protesters.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
We have had several bear encounters over the past years. Some have happened while hiking portions of the Superior Hiking Trail in Duluth, a few falls ago. On that event my dog and I were just south of the Spirit Mountain heading for the cut over across Skyline. We then noticed a large black bear and two cubs heading for us about three tenth of a mile from where we were crouching. I grabbed the dog collar and we remained quiet watching them approach. About half way to us she turned, and angled away to our left. That was awesome.

We had another close encounter while on a hiking trail at Flour Lake near the campground, In the Superior National Forest. As we were hiking along we heard to our left rustling and a general commotion going on very near us. Just like that two cubs ran scrambled up a white pine, with the mother close behind. We marveled at how beautiful they were. We stayed just a few minutes, then left the area so as not to stress them at all.

While on a solo canoe trip in the BWCAW, my dog and I had three bear encounters in two different days, with the second being twice on the same day. Having just one more portage to go, we reached the last lake on our route, shoving off I started off, and crossing the lake at the first of sites, there were two canoes with four men sitting fishing just off shore, when we approached closer they asked me if this was my site, no it was not, well there is a bear in it. I turned and to my amazement there was a beautiful black bear in some of the trippers packs. There was also damage to the rain tarp. I was amazed at how the fur of black met like a line the brown of the face and neck. We were maybe 200 feet away at the time.

Continuing on the next site we came to was taken, and so was the third site. It was a long section between sites 4 and 5, with site 5 being the target site that I wanted. About half way between 4 and 5 I met a guy in a kayak just lazily paddling along, we chatted a bit and he informed me site 5 was open. I told him about the first site and the bear that had been there, he said I hope the bear enjoys my food. We bid farewell, and I settled in at site 5. Two morning later, I was down in the fire cooking area, with the tent up behind me, about 200 feet away and my dog just between myself and the tent, about the same distance away. SHe started barking, and I looked out at the water thinking someone was going past, but no, and I turned to where she was looking and there was a black bear just behind the Duluth 4 pack and Duluth 3 pack. The only thing I could think of to do was grab my camera and approach while taking pictures and video. The bear stood up and I yelled real loud freaked out suddenly, it turned and walked up the latrine trail with me following at a safe but close distance. Wow, that was so amazing.

A few hours later I had my packs out and the vestivals on my tent open and the bear returned, this time I could not get close to it, and it disappeared into the woods. I decided then to leave this wonderful site, and by 1pm. I had the canoe and my dog loaded and we headed out of there, and decided to head on home.

There are many more stories that we have had with other bear encounters, and moose. This is all a benefit of living in Northeastern Minnesota. We are blessed.
I woke up and looked into my yard from my second story bedroom at my house on a mtn in Anchorage. I saw a giant manhole sized pile of poo, massive. Wondered down and out to lawn to take a look. I then had some fear, our fence was 6ft high other then a short 4 ft section. Moose had no problems scaling this shorter fence, but how big the brown bear was that left a pile was a little unsettling. The giant brownie at Duluth Zoo called Terrible was taken from my direct neighborhood a month before I moved up there. Bears kill a few people each year in AK.

After hanging out in Silver Bay for weeks at a time, you quickly realize people are far more dangerous then bears, wolves, moose, mountain lions...

Old 04-17-2021, 06:20 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I woke up and looked into my yard from my second story bedroom at my house on a mtn in Anchorage. I saw a giant manhole sized pile of poo, massive. Wondered down and out to lawn to take a look. I then had some fear, our fence was 6ft high other then a short 4 ft section. Moose had no problems scaling this shorter fence, but how big the brown bear was that left a pile was a little unsettling. The giant brownie at Duluth Zoo called Terrible was taken from my direct neighborhood a month before I moved up there. Bears kill a few people each year in AK.

After hanging out in Silver Bay for weeks at a time, you quickly realize people are far more dangerous then bears, wolves, moose, mountain lions...
A few years ago, you may recall, a Minnesota hunter was attacked by a black bear, the hunter while being mauled stabbed the bear many times (about 20 times) with a hunting knife, killing it, however the bear was first wounded with an arrow, nevertheless, still had the power to attack and do severe damage.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:01 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
A few years ago, you may recall, a Minnesota hunter was attacked by a black bear, the hunter while being mauled stabbed the bear many times (about 20 times) with a hunting knife, killing it, however the bear was first wounded with an arrow, nevertheless, still had the power to attack and do severe damage.
I thought you were going to say he survived the bear attack only to be attacked and mauled by BLM rioters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul