Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 17,631 times

Advertisements

Are there any pit-friendly apartments or landlords in Minneapolis/St.Paul/Richfield area? It seems like there's a lot of places where their insurance company doesn't allow those breeds. I love my sweet little buddy and I wanna take him with me when I move out. Thank you guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
You are going to have a very difficult time finding an apartment complex that will allow a big dog let alone a pitbull. Your best option might be a single family home that MIGHT be willing to rent to you with a large dog, let alone a pitbull. You are right about insurance companies, none of the larger companies will insure you if you have a pitbull or other dog on the dangerous dog list, chows, akitas, wolf-breads, etc.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:58 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
I highly doubt that you will find a complex that will allow Pit Bulls. You will probably have to find a rental house. Try Craigslist.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 PM

18 posts, read 82,766 times
Default Breed vs Deed

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You are going to have a very difficult time finding an apartment complex that will allow a big dog let alone a pitbull. Your best option might be a single family home that MIGHT be willing to rent to you with a large dog, let alone a pitbull. You are right about insurance companies, none of the larger companies will insure you if you have a pitbull or other dog on the dangerous dog list, chows, akitas, wolf-breads, etc.
Although this poster is correct about insurance companies and apartment buildings not liking certain breeds, my suggestion would be if you have no history of aggression issues with the dog, get a letter from your vet indicating the dog is current on shots and has not demonstrated any behavior during your vet visits that the dog is not properly socialized. Also, make sure your pet is licensed for the City in which you intend to reside.

It would also be worth your while to get a renters insurance policy with a minimum of $300,000 or $500,000 of liability insurance that would not exclude the dog - I would try a State Farm or Allstate as I think they go by dog history, not breed - so you could show a prospective landlord you've got insurance. It will cost you something but it's well worth it.

If you've got anything else to prove your dog is socialized - a certificate from a class, a reference from your current neighbors or landlord, etc - that wouldn't be a bad idea to have on hand. The more documentation you can get about how great your dog is and how responsible you are as an owner, the better.

I also agree with the suggestion to try Craig's List - you could actually put a post out there seeking a dog-friendly apartment. If you've got a good rental history and are otherwise a good tenant, a lot of independent landlords with one or two units to rent will sometimes consider dogs, if you put down an additional deposit or offer to let them meet the dog before signing a lease. You could also offer to accept a month-to-month lease (with a guarantee the rent would not change in the first so many number of months), so the landlord could have a trial period with you and the dog before making a longer-term commitment.

Hope this is helpful

Old 05-24-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Although this poster is correct about insurance companies and apartment buildings not liking certain breeds, my suggestion would be if you have no history of aggression issues with the dog, get a letter from your vet indicating the dog is current on shots and has not demonstrated any behavior during your vet visits that the dog is not properly socialized. Also, make sure your pet is licensed for the City in which you intend to reside.

It would also be worth your while to get a renters insurance policy with a minimum of $300,000 or $500,000 of liability insurance that would not exclude the dog - I would try a State Farm or Allstate as I think they go by dog history, not breed - so you could show a prospective landlord you've got insurance. It will cost you something but it's well worth it.

If you've got anything else to prove your dog is socialized - a certificate from a class, a reference from your current neighbors or landlord, etc - that wouldn't be a bad idea to have on hand. The more documentation you can get about how great your dog is and how responsible you are as an owner, the better.

I also agree with the suggestion to try Craig's List - you could actually put a post out there seeking a dog-friendly apartment. If you've got a good rental history and are otherwise a good tenant, a lot of independent landlords with one or two units to rent will sometimes consider dogs, if you put down an additional deposit or offer to let them meet the dog before signing a lease. You could also offer to accept a month-to-month lease (with a guarantee the rent would not change in the first so many number of months), so the landlord could have a trial period with you and the dog before making a longer-term commitment.

Hope this is helpful
All of the major insurance companies have a dangerous dog list, they go by that, not dog history. Insurance companies have to rate by class so if they don't insure one pit bull, they can't insure any of them--federal insurance law. I know of ONE insurance company that will allow you to have pit bulls but ONLY if you had one before they changed their underwriting standards. They won't take new customers with pits any longer.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Hope this is helpful
Would you disclose the dog is a Pit Bull in the ad? I think it would be for the best. It would automatically weed out landlords that do not like the idea of having dangerous breeds in the building.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM

18 posts, read 82,766 times
Default Breed Friendly Insurance Companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
All of the major insurance companies have a dangerous dog list, they go by that, not dog history. Insurance companies have to rate by class so if they don't insure one pit bull, they can't insure any of them--federal insurance law. I know of ONE insurance company that will allow you to have pit bulls but ONLY if you had one before they changed their underwriting standards. They won't take new customers with pits any longer.
Unfortunately, I think the poster will need to do their own research on this one as there appears to be a difference of opinion. There is a national nonprofit rescue organization called The Partnership for Animal Welfare, or PAW. They have a section on their website with advice regarding finding insurance for breeds considered a bit more challenging by the general public. I would suggest you check out their website:

Dog Tip: Insurance, Liability and Dog Owners (http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_HomeInsurance.php - broken link)

There is a section on this link that discusses insurance companies that do not discriminate by breed, and here is a quote from their website:

"PAW adopter Donna Leader suggests that it is good to be aware of insurance companies that do not discriminate against dog owners or to certain breeds.

Here are some companies that pet owners report are dog-friendly and tend not to discriminate by breed: State Farm, Farmers Insurance Group, Travelers, Liberty Mutual, United Services Automobile Association, Erie, Fireman-s Fund, Kemper, Chubb Group, Allstate and Safeco Corp."

Regardless, your real question was about getting housing, and my suggestion remains being honest about your pet, creating as much supporting documentation as possible to prove your pet's positive attributes, and trying Craig's List for a wider array of housing options.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
I have three friends who own one type of bull dog or another and all three are renters (and not the type to get renters insurance). I do not recall any of them ever mentioning a problem with renting. However, pit bulls have been the subject of some pretty hard-core scrutinizing in the city of Minneapolis over the last couple of years (to the point of trying to outlaw the breed).

If you look you will eventually find a landlord who will allow them, but I am thinking that if you do find that landlord then consider yourself lucky.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think the poster will need to do their own research on this one as there appears to be a difference of opinion. There is a national nonprofit rescue organization called The Partnership for Animal Welfare, or PAW. They have a section on their website with advice regarding finding insurance for breeds considered a bit more challenging by the general public. I would suggest you check out their website:

Dog Tip: Insurance, Liability and Dog Owners (http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_HomeInsurance.php - broken link)

There is a section on this link that discusses insurance companies that do not discriminate by breed, and here is a quote from their website:

"PAW adopter Donna Leader suggests that it is good to be aware of insurance companies that do not discriminate against dog owners or to certain breeds. I

Here are some companies that pet owners report are dog-friendly and tend not to discriminate by breed: State Farm, Farmers Insurance Group, Travelers, Liberty Mutual, United Services Automobile Association, Erie, Fireman-s Fund, Kemper, Chubb Group, Allstate and Safeco Corp."

Regardless, your real question was about getting housing, and my suggestion remains being honest about your pet, creating as much supporting documentation as possible to prove your pet's positive attributes, and trying Craig's List for a wider array of housing options.

Good luck with your search.
I don't know where they get their information but I know for fact that NONE of these insurance companies will give homeowners policies to owners of dangerous breed dogs, at least in MN. It is possible they will do so in other states as each state has their own insurance laws but not in Minnesota.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 PM

I believe Pit Bulls are banned in Miami-Dade County. If I were a Pit Bull owner, I would be concerned. I don't own one, so I find the ban very intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul