Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 11:20 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
740 River has to be the most overpriced building in the city for what you're getting. There are 2BRs for under $2000 in Mac-Groveland. Even w/o utilities you'll probably end up paying less for rent/utilities combined than your rent right now. And no these aren't single family homes.
Well, ours is a 3-bedroom, but still, given the quality, it's not worth the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
For that price you could be renting a house. Almost any neighborhood.
Yup. That's the plan for August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 06:14 AM

559 posts, read 1,324,188 times
Just wondering, suggesting: Have you tried some of the Asian restaurants along University Ave yet? They seem to be less expensive than the restaurants in the white neighborhoods and more authentic. Dragon Star on Dale and Sun Food on University seem to be the least expensive markets. They the Hmong markets in the spring if you are into growing your own produce.
Try Cafe Latte some winter night for dessert. A jog around Nokomis along the parkway to mine haha falls is just as good but less crowded. As is Pike Island or Crosby Farm. The latter two are more wooded. This winter, try going to a show at the Guthrie Downtown. 9th floor has a cool viewing area. North Loop in Downtown also has some nice shops and restaurants. IKEA. Idk. I hear they have stocking issues these days nationwide. Maybe ours is worse? It didn’t always used to be this way.
Here’s hoping for an early spring!

Old 03-05-2023, 10:08 PM

Any opinions on Cedarhurst? In particular, the little enclave north of Cedar Lake and south of the 394?

Old 06-03-2023, 04:04 PM

So, our stint in St. Paul looks like it's coming to a close and not a moment too soon as the AC is on in my room, but it's still 82 degrees and I'm dizzy from dehydration (this is now a daily occurrence - living in an aquarium is torture on sunny days). As you could probably tell from the previous pages, we tend to be a bit picky when it comes to housing, so we decided to start our search earlier rather than later. We started looking for a new place to live all the way back in March, when I was convinced I'd be able to break our lease early due to certain fairly significant failures on the part of 740's management to ensure livable conditions during winter. It didn't quite come to pass as I expected (got adversarial and I took it as far as the MN AG, which is when they finally allowed us to break the lease early, but by then it was moot) and in that process we managed to lose out on a couple of places around Linden Hills/50th and France, which would have been my preferred location. But inventory was so terrible in early Spring, we kind of ended up grabbing the first place that fit most of our requirements and I think we're going to be pretty happy with it - with the one caveat that it's in the Golden Triangle, not suburban enough to be green and not urban enough to be able to really walk anywhere save a Starbucks and (ironically) my old employer's office. Oh, well, at least my commute to my new job in Medina is going to avoid Downtown traffic.

Now that the clock is ticking, I'd like to spend at least some time (weather permitting) seeing some sights we still haven't. Some places on our list right now are as follows, but if anyone's got any other suggestions, we're all ears.

- both zoos (Como probably towards the end of summer, by which point the newborn leopard cubs will be a bit more grown up)
- Theodore Wirth Park and Victory Memorial Drive (I finally managed to drive through parts of it recently, reminded me of one of my favorite roads - Edward Hines Drive in Michigan)
- Sculpture Garden
- Might try the Minneapolis river cruise (did the St. Paul one in the fall)
- Definitely still need to try Sea Salt and Moscow on the Hill (I'd been to the latter, but my wife hasn't yet) and at least a couple of farmers' markets

Anything else you'd recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul