Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:15 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,906 times

Advertisements

Same at NY State Fair in Syracuse which is about 40% black. EXCEPT on the Midway
rides where you see a lot of black kids.
I thought they just could not relate to the agriculture aspect or exibits of things they just had no interest in.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,760 times
Why is there so few caucasians at Juneteenth and Rondo Days?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:19 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Why is there so few caucasians at Juneteenth and Rondo Days?
You do bring up an interesting point.

My personal sentiments are to go to any festival you want and not let race be an issue. I wouldn't have gone to the Atlanta Greek Festival if I let race be an issue

Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 AM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times
Well, my guess would be that is mostly a non white neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Well, my guess would be that is mostly a non white neighborhood.
I see the rolling eyes icon but I still don't know where you're trying to go with this post. Obviously the statement makes no sense.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM

989 posts, read 2,962,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
While I live in New Orleans, I travel to Minnesota on business on a regular basis. Every time I go to Saint Paul they tell me that if I am in the Twin Cities during late August or early September I should visit the Minnesota State Fair.

On the last day of August of this year I finally went. I liked it but as an African American, I felt funny and out of place. While Saint Paul and the rest of the Twin Cities metro area has a rapidly increasing minority population, it appears that they do not go to the Minnesota State Fair.

Why is just about everyone who goes to the State Fair White?
We went the same day as you. Never gave it a lot of thought, but you are right that the crowd was mostly white. I went to the fireworks in Nashville on July 4th a few years back and I remember thinking there was really a lot of black people. I don't think I felt out of place, and the fireworks were great. I did have an awareness that things were very different than here though. Hope you had fun at the fair.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 34,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
How are we supposed to categorize people ? First we are told to call all black people African American and now you want us to seperate it even further? Give me a break. Are there more whites or European or Scandinavian American people in MN?
Somalis and African Americans are two diffrent groups ,with Diffrent cultures , religion and back grounds..There`s a huge cultural clash between Somali and African-Americans ,I hear somalis saying some thing like
((Just because they have beef with white folkz why do they expect me to join them in the struggle. I dont consider myself black but a Somali and they dont get that , Also one maniac dude tried to convince me there are African Americans with Somali ancestory , When i know that somalis never been enslaved )).
OR some thing like((They are kool but they are all bunch of Racist. Its like they hate white people for no reason and make everything about Race. Do you know how many freakn African Americans ask me what my race is or what am i mixed with. Its ironic that they the ones who are black are the ones who ask me my race more than the white man. I dont see myself as one of them. We dont have the same religion,culture,ideology or lifestyle thus my race is Somali)).

And some muslim African American friend said to me once ((the reason it irritates me that Somalis assume every brown woman in hijab is Somali is because of the way that they go about it. For one, when they discover I’m not Somali they abruptly end the conversation and walk away like I’m not worthy of acknowledgment)).

Even they live two diffrent areas within minneapolis.. somalis in south mpls and AA`s in North mpls.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM

89 posts, read 119,927 times
I love a State Fair. There be at least one more this year!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
Truth is that the Great Minnesota Get-together is only a must for people with deep roots. I think a lot of our African Americans come from other states with dissimilar cultures. They arrive here, settle down, but they just don't "get" the fair. It seems unimportant to them. Gotta realize that the grandstand acts appeal far more to urban and rural whites than to any other cultural roots. I did see lots of Indians and Africans for the first time last August. They at least are coming to see why millions turn out for this thing. And food booths and the food building are offering some exotic foods that might appeal to them.

But I really don't expect to see Chris Brown or Snoop Dogg as featured acts at the grandstand. Kind of a self-reinforcing thing. The white hiphop wannabes would consider The Fair as sadly unhip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul