Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 09:31 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesOhMy View Post
"Elite". Elite, as in, expensive? Blake is "elite?" I have a suspicion that you are somehow affiliated with Blake or a parent. I was about to criticize your sweeping generalization about what is and what is not done in the private school community, but then I might sound a little hypocritical when I tell you that only a Blake parent would refer to his or her school as "elite." Silly talk.
My child attends a private school but it is not Blake or Breck and I have no affiliation with either school. Obviously, elite private schools are the handful at the top in terms of academic achievement.

And it’s rich being criticized for frequent posting from someone who has posted six times in this thread in the past few days, all in the same tone and in defense of another poster, yet only has eight posts in total.

Sock puppet, perhaps?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 13,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
My child attends a private school but it is not Blake or Breck and I have no affiliation with either school. Obviously, elite private schools are the handful at the top in terms of academic achievement.

And it’s rich being criticized for frequent posting from someone who has posted six times in this thread in the past few days, all in the same tone and in defense of another poster, yet only has eight posts in total.

Sock puppet, perhaps?
Cute comment, but I think that most folks who are considering both schools google something like "Blake or Breck," find this thread first, read the comments and then, perhaps, add a few comments themselves. It's interesting that folks like yourself and Cheddar have monitored this thread for years in order to defend any posts that are critical of Blake...telling. I believe that most people who are considering Blake or Breck for their kids probably aren't spending so much time bantering on city-data.com. I won't be checking on your further argumentative responses and wish you the best of luck in building up your post count. Gotta be proud!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:38 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
Quote:
Cute comment, but I think that most folks who are considering both schools google something like "Blake or Breck," find this thread first, read the comments and then, perhaps, add a few comments themselves. It's interesting that folks like yourself and Cheddar have monitored this thread for years in order to defend any posts that are critical of Blake...telling. I believe that most people who are considering Blake or Breck for their kids probably aren't spending so much time bantering on city-data.com. I won't be checking on your further argumentative responses and wish you the best of luck in building up your post count. Gotta be proud!
That’s a lot of hostility over a thread comparing two schools. I hope you find some peace.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 PM

371 posts, read 556,773 times
Quote:
It's interesting that folks like yourself and Cheddar have monitored this thread for years in order to defend any posts that are critical of Blake...telling.
I think if you go back and look at my threads overall, I have many more posts promoting the Saint Paul Public Schools.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
Default Attended Blake and Breck

Has anyone had their kid attend Blake and Breck, not just one school? What are the differences? We have one child who is quite shy, concerned about how he will fit in to grade 4. Which one has the best academics?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 PM

106 posts, read 161,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks69 View Post
Which one has the best academics?
Not sure if this is a serious question, but both are in the top 1/2 of 1 percent of all private schools in Upper Midwest. It would be a waste of time (IMO) to try an distinguish between them on academics. There are certainly differences in the curriculum, mission, and philosophy between the two places, as well as major structural differences (all one campus at Breck, multiple campuses at Blake with lots of shuttling required down the road depending on your child's extracurricular interests).

Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,315 times
I have to agree with TxTnVtMn regarding the structural differences, and I also agree that the question seems a bit not serious.

I would just chime in that, in addition to the structural differences pointed out by TxTnVtMn, there are some significant differences between these schools that will become pretty apparent by anyone who reads through this thread. I'll just say that it seems that the schools have both changed quite a bit of over the years, and that is supported both by this very very lengthy thread as well as my own personal experience.

Great thread. Take the time to read it.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,251 times
Default experience with both

This post was so interesting I joined just to post. For someone who really wants some info, here you go.
I have kids at Breck, but have family members who have attended Blake. At elementary level, Blake is more curriculum based. Breck has a more Montessori feel. Some kids can excel in both areas. A friend of mine had a child who was ahead of the curve academics wise at Breck but not socially. She came in once and her child was in the corner by himself. The teacher said oh that's just "him being him." She took her child out the next year and went to Blake, where the early academics and socialization are more what we think of as normal. Both have Singapore math, a great program(Blake was first). Blake has 2 elementary schools, Breck has one campus PK-12. I like that, especially with multiple kids, but the Highcroft Blake campus in Wayzata is also beautiful and isn't as hectic, which I can see being a plus for young kids too. Breck has a beautiful chapel, and it isn't serious religion if that's a problem. They study and celebrate all religions, which is great because you still celebrate your holidays! You can feel free to talk and celebrate your beliefs. Very good. The rest are pretty similar actually. Both are very vigorous in their studies. Both encourage participation in multiple sports and activities, and you don't have to be great in your sport. I know kids at both schools who were good in one sport, not so much in another, and were still able to letter in both. You can't do that at the big suburb schools like Edina or Wayzata(which are good as well). Both draw from Minneapolis and western suburbs for the most part. Blake has a few more students from Lake Minnetonka area. Blake girls programs in sports are off the charts good in hockey, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer. Blake boys tennis and lacrosse are great, and good soccer too. Breck has a very good hockey program for boys and girls, and very good tennis for both. Soccer is good too, and they still have their own football team(Blake is combined). Other sports for both are up and down, depending on the particular year. Both have good arts and music...Breck's is very good. Math, science, writing...(everything to get you in a good college)...both are fantastic. Blake has a little more east coast prep feel. At Breck, the one campus is great. Older kids really respect the smaller kids and they have great buddy programs. Both have top notch facilities. Both send kids to Amherst, Williams, ivies, public ivies, Vanderbilt, Michigan, Kenyon, Carleton, Denver, Rice...you get the picture. Breck colors are navy blue and gold, Blake blue and green(Breck wins the colors, imo). Blake is slightly bigger, average graduation class probably 115 to Brecks 100. A few more things. They share their swimming team(The BearStangs), and are very good! Teachers are good at both, but I've seen issues at both schools with individual cases. Breck has a new head of school this year. Blake campuses are PK-8(Hopkins), PK-5(Wayzata Highcroft), 9-12(Minneapolis). All are nice and the integration of Highcroft kids to Hopkins in 6th grade seems to always go well. Breck is slightly more diverse, Blake has tried to catch up in the last 5 years. In fact, both elementary schools are more diverse then suburban schools in Wayzata, Edina, and Minnetonka. In conclusion, both are two of the best schools in the Midwest. If you're moving in or are looking for the best, start here. In St.Paul, try SPA or St.Thomas and Visitation. All are very expensive, but will give your child a chance to shine. And...if you send your child to Breck or Blake and it doesn't seem quite right, you can always go to the other one It happens and isn't a big deal!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
We weren't able to justify either school financially, but we spent a long time researching and looking. We were not at all impressed with Blake. Seemed like a Country Club attitude without the facilities or teachers to back it up. Breck was quite impressive in most every respect. Not being able to swing Breck hurt.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 AM

9,781 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Sorry for reviving an old thread. I scanned it and found it interesting.

Here is how I'd roll it up "elite" privates.
1. Breck and Blake have a lot of educated and passionate parents! AND with education, comes a thicker wallet.
2. Both schools hire passionate teachers that have high expectations.
3. Both shed the coaster students that can be disruptive to others.
4. Both schools have counselors that are well connected into tier 1 colleges.
5. For some, it's worth it. For others even when they have the means, it's not.
6. Parents who are "sold" on the concept, often assume they have a superior product. Some of which are soooo proud to tell you why they would NEVER send their kids to a public school. They assume they teach core classes better. I categorically disagree.

My take on the public schools:
1. Motivated parents are represented in most high schools across MN. Generally speaking, their kids accomplish the same.
2. PSEO http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/fam/dual/pseo/ is by definition, college caliber curilium. IMHO, "superior" to paying $xx,xxx.00 more for an inferior elite HS. That's the path we took.
3. I actually see value for students to be surrounded by unmotivated students. It's called being well rounded and they gain a level of "street smarts". That too is educational. BUT, motivated families and students are not taking classes with the coasters. So the negative impact is zero if you know how to parent.
4. Passionate parents are involved in their schools. So they not-so-mysteriously know who the better teachers are and get their Johnny or Jane with those teachers. We did that from K-12.
5. Most MN schools are well funded and have motivated teachers. Not all teachers are created equal. So you need to sort.

The end result (caliber of education) will be the same. BUT, the college admission process that is place DOES look at where student went to HS. Hence, where you go to HS will have an influence as to where you can more easily attend. So Blake and Breck will have a leg-up to get in an Ivy simply be admission relationships and that where their fellow students attended college. The system is partially gamed and it is why some people who want a political leg up in getting into an Ivy (for instance) peruse a Blake of Breck. Hey, money buys influence. There is nothing new here.

We chose a public HS. Looking at the statistics, I predict a Breck or Blake parent would fret over Anoka HS by looking at the AVERAGES. Forget Anoka for a moment, 20% of Edina schools don't meet the minimum standards https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MN/s...10/school.aspx . But the reality is, our kids (as well as the higher performers at Edina) have some impressive accolades. On a personal level, I would be proud to compare notes on how they did in HS and college. i.e. Where they went, awards, and what they are doing now. In summary, Breck and Blake would have added zero benefit for our family. But we parent.

I guess I'm all ears as to how I got short changed by NOT going to Breck or Blake. For those coasting parents who are too busy to be involved and outsource parenting, I suppose I get it. I'm not faulting people for sending their kids to an "elite" HS. If I was closer and I wasn't so cheap, I might have done the same thing. But staring at the statistics can be misleading.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-16-2018 at 05:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul