Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:55 PM

50 posts, read 145,380 times

Advertisements

Ok, so i am 19 year old liberal/democrat single female from Orange County CA and i am eagerly wanting a change of scenery and plan to move out within the next couple of months. I grew up here so i have nothing holding me back as to where i go all i need is a place for me, my dog and i plan to be getting another one, and i would like to eventually bring my horse over.

I plan on renting, for a while most likely an appartment. I know nothing about Minneapolis but i was told it might be what i want. I want the 4 seasons, scenery of mountains/rivers/lakes, cold weather plus loads of snow, affordable living for someone out on their own, someplace safe, not a hicktown, still a large enough city so i can find a job. Job wise i will have to find a job. Also still have a nightlife and outdoorsy area.

I would also like to know what kind of monthly income do you think a single person can live off of in Minneapolis.

Also could you tell me why or why not to chose Minneapolis over Spokane WA, and Denver CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 05:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy_M_L View Post
Ok, so i am 19 year old liberal/democrat single female...
That's enough right there to avoid Spokane.

Quote:
...someplace safe, not a hicktown, still a large enough city so i can find a job.
More good reasons to avoid Spokane.

Quote:
Also still have a nightlife...
Ditto.

Minneapolis/St.Paul is nearly 8 times larger than Spokane, and more than a million people larger than Denver. The Twin Cities also have vastly larger and more numerous corporations than either of the other two (for job-hunting purposes). However, that doesn't mean it will be a good fit for you. You should really make trips to all three to try and get a feel for the places, even though that might be too expensive for you. I've been to Spokane many times. It's OK but I could never live there. I happen to love Denver, and would consider moving there. But I would miss the cultural amenities of Minneapolis.

On the other hand, I don't know of any apartments in Minneapolis that allow horses...

Regarding income, it depends on what you want for a quality of life. A nice 1-bedroom apartment in a decent area might set you back anywhere from $800-$1200 a month, and if you want to spring for a superior place in a great neighborhood (such as "blue" apartments in Uptown) you'll be spending about $1400-$1700 per month for a 1-bedroom. You can save on that by getting an older "garden-level" apartment in a good neighborhood for maybe $600-$700, or going the studio apartment route, or even get by more cheaply by renting rooms in one of the many mansions in the cities. It's also pretty easy to find roommates.

The cost of car ownership here is similar to most other places in the US. There is no tax on clothing or groceries in Minnesota, so you save a bit there. So, basically, it entirely depends on what you want your quality of life to be.

Last edited by Astron1000; 11-16-2008 at 05:44 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 05:19 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
Someone asked about these two cities last week. Do a search here, and you will find out more.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 AM

39 posts, read 121,321 times
Regarding a horse, there are stables here where you can pay to keep your horse. I don't know much about it other than I have had clients who used the services.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM

394 posts, read 1,519,306 times
I found the best bet in the Twin Cities is finding a random roomate, if youre comfortable. Many people bought up the townhome developments around the metro like crazy. We all know what im talking about-they are everywhere. People are starting to realize they cant afford them. So the rent out the rooms. Most of the time you can find a young professional who works full time adn is hardly ever around. Not bad for $600/month brand new Townhome in a nice area with brand new appliances and no maintenance.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:56 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,590 times
If you're looking for mountain scenery, you're out of luck in MN. Technically, there's only one mountain in MN, Eagle Mountain, which is way far away from Minneapolis. Pretty close to Canada actually. But if it's lakes you want, this is the right state. There's a ton of lakes here. Night and day difference when flying over a place with not much water (such as AZ), and landing in Minneapolis. It's very interesting. You'll get loads of cold and snow here. As far as affordability goes, if you're able to afford OC, you'll be able to afford Minneapolis, no doubt. =)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:53 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
If you're looking for mountain scenery, you're out of luck in MN. Technically, there's only one mountain in MN, Eagle Mountain, which is way far away from Minneapolis. Pretty close to Canada actually. But if it's lakes you want, this is the right state. There's a ton of lakes here. Night and day difference when flying over a place with not much water (such as AZ), and landing in Minneapolis. It's very interesting. You'll get loads of cold and snow here. As far as affordability goes, if you're able to afford OC, you'll be able to afford Minneapolis, no doubt. =)
Actually, Eagle Mtn is not the only one in the state, it's just the highest one. There are others in the same general vicinity, e.g., Oberg Mtn.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Actually, Eagle Mtn is not the only one in the state, it's just the highest one. There are others in the same general vicinity, e.g., Oberg Mtn.
Eagle mountain is about 2800 ft above sea level. Somewhat of a loose use of the word mountian.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,590 times
I guess I just don't consider much of anything in MN a mountain. More like very tall hills. I remember thinking Spirit Mountain (ski hill) was an actual mountain, until I actually travelled and saw what a mountain actually was, haha.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:18 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Eagle mountain is about 2800 ft above sea level. Somewhat of a loose use of the word mountian.
True!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul