Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times

Advertisements

The zoo is an easy 10 minutes south of the mall right off Cedar Ave, good signs directing you to the zoo. Burnsville Center and Southdale are both close to MOA, Burnsville Center is south on 35W about 15 minutes from the mall, Southdale is on France Ave just a little north of 494. You also have Fort Snelling a few minutes away if the girls like history. On the weekends they staff the fort with volunteers dressed up in Civil War attire, etc.

Where is the tournament being played?

The weather at the end of April is USUALLY nice, mid 60's or warmer but we have been known to get an occasional snow storm then too. You will just have to keep your eye on the weather reports before you go because it can be anywhere from 40-80 that time of year here. Evenings will be cool either way so bring a jacket for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 05:15 PM

10 posts, read 142,382 times
Thanks. We are playing at the Minneapolis Convention Ctr. How far is that from the Marriott at the airport? We'll have vans to take the girls sight-seeing, so if the weather is on the cooler side, we'll be Ok. I'm just having a hard time deciding where to take them to learn a little about Minneapolis or Minn. that will hold their interest. We'll definitely do MOA the last day we're there. Any ideas? They're normal 16 yr old girls - love music, shopping, boys and text messaging - probably in a different order!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 AM

The Marriott to the Convention center without traffic is probably 10 minutes or a bit more, not far and an easy hop up 77 to 35. If you want to do more educational things with the girls Fort Snelling is 5 minutes away. Downtown Minneapolis has a great art museum, the Minneapolis Institute of Art. St. Paul had the science museum. The nice thing about being in Bloomington is that you can pretty much be anywhere in the Twin Cities metro area in about a half hour or less.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 PM

Which museum is the sculture garden close to? I heard those two places were one of the best things to see in the city. Depending on weather, what is there to do outdoors? The girls tend to get tired, both from playing VB most of the day and from being indoors so long.
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2007, 05:25 AM

That is by the Walker Art Center in downtown Minneapolis. The Walker is more contemporary then the Minneapolis Institute of Art and is more known for their theatrical productions/shows. It is worth a visit if you have time.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks. We'll be doing most of our sight-seeing on the weekend and will have either the morning hours or the evening hours to look. Just because of the time available, we'll probably have to stay closer to the hotel. All of the things you mentioned sound great.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:26 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,148 times
The sculpture garden is a great place for all ages of kids -and adults too. I've taken toddlers to geriatric ages there and it's always been a hit. Kids can run around in the grounds there and blow off steam if they've been cooped up all day. And some of the art is interactive too. If you can go during the hours that the Cowles Conservatory is open, the standing glass fish is really something to see inside. If you can't get there when it's open, you still can see glimpses of it from the Sculpture Gardens. Here is a link: http://www.minneapolisparks.org/defa...D=4&parkid=270

I don't know if you have a IKEA around where you live; but that is a shopping experience like no other!

IF the roof of the state capital building is open to tours, the girls will only get a view of downtown St. Paul; the Twin Cities are 2 different cities and the downtown areas are 10 miles apart.

If you are interested in the history of the area, there is a fairly new interactive museum in downtown Minneapolis called the Mill City Museum which tells the history of how Mpls became known as the Mill City and why Mpls became the city it is (this includes the whole General Mills, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Gold Medal Flour, and Creamettes history too). My daughter and I spent several hours there when we visited it last year. DO take the elevator ride, it tells the story of the mill fires; and the observation deck is a great place to take pictures of the Mississippi River and parts of Mpls.

There is also an observation deck on the 31st floor of the Foshay Tower, a building that was designed and built after Foshay saw the Washington Monument in DC. I *think* that that is the only observation deck in downtown Mpls; I know it's the only open one. (This building opened the summer of 1929; Foshay lost his fortune in the Crash that October and ended up in jail for several years after that.) There is also a museum on the 31st floor.

The other unique feature of downtown Mpls is the skyways that link buildings together. There are about 5 miles of skyways; the Mpls. Convention Center is linked into the system. St. Paul also has a skyway, but it isn't nearly as extensive as the Mpls. system.

There really is so much to do here that it's kind of hard to recommend to someone what would be fun for that age group to do unless we knew what you are interested in seeing and doing. Are these sophisticated teens or immature, a group of small town kids who have never been in a city this size, or from a good-sized city?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM

On re-reading this whole thread, if I had a group of girls here for a week I would plan on 2 days for the MOA: they have Underwater World there and the amusement park in the center of the mall besides all of the shopping opportunities.

For history of the area, I'd go to either historic Fort Snelling or Mill City museum. Both tell the story of the area, but are about different periods of settlement.

For different shopping opportunities, Burnsville Center would probably be better than Southdale. Southdale was the very first indoor mall built (back in the '50's) and for years had unique and upscale shops; but right now it's kind of in a slump and has the standard shops that every other mall in the country has. Also, IKEA would give the girls something different to talk about later since it is so different from most other shops in the US.

If you have a couple of hours between games during the day; the Nicollet Avenue and Mall is 1-2 blocks from the Convention Center; it's actually a street that doesn't allow cars or trucks on most of it (buses and cabs are allowed). On the corner of 7th and Nicollet is a statue of Mary Tyler Moore tossing her tam (from the intro to the TV show by that name back in the '70's); it's about an 8-10 block walk from the Convention Center outside; and then you could all walk back to the Convention Center through the skyway system. While you admire the statue there, go inside the building there at the base of the IDS building and you'll enter the Crystal Court, an open 8 story atrium (where MTM ate in the opening of the Mary Tyler Moore Show). I don't know what type of restaurants are there now; but they do have some coffee shops and an Au Bon Pain bakery/deli there for sandwiches, etc. It would be a good way for the girls to get some fresh air between games and experience the skyways.

The sculpture gardens are also within walking distance of the Convention Center, but it's definitely a spot I'd recommend that you walk to during daylight only. Loring Park (which lies between the convention center and the sculpture gardens) had a reputation as a local gay pickup area for many years (not sure what it's like now, but that's a more "colorful" part of town and I wouldn't advise any evening strolls there).

About 7-8 blocks south of the Convention Center is the Mpls. Institute of Arts. I would suggest a ride to that so you could enjoy the museum (the neighborhood in between the convention center and the museum isn't the best).

Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 AM

You're information is great - our group is from Denver and the girls on the team for the most part are Christian and mature, but like to have fun. From past trips with them - they need to get outside into the fresh air and walk. They're all very active! The information you gave me really helps to narrow down what we'll have time to see. I like to visit places that someone has recommended because those places usually turn out to be the most memorable ones. It will be easy to sit down with them and decide on a couple of places to go for the history of the area. Unfortunately, we'll only have 1 day for MOA. Give them a reason to go back.
Thanks for your wealth of info!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 PM

Good Luck! Let us know how the trip goes afterwards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul