Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,568 times

Advertisements

We are currently trying to decide wether or not to take a great job offer in Seattle. We have lived in MN or WI for 35 years and have family and friends in Seattle and have loved the 12 or so trips we've taken out there. Every time we have been there, the one thing we notice is how friendly and chatty people seem to be compared to MN. We lived in Milwaukee for 6 years and we spent a lot of time in Chicago and found the people to be much friendlier there also. But I could never live in Chicago because of the size and the traffic . We have found MN to be very homogonized and dull. The one great thing about MN is the great housing. You will find some of the best built and designed houses in the U.S. WI and IL houses pale in comparison. Seattle has some of the worst housing options ever. So do we give up a beautiful house with unfriendly neighbors (and by neighbors, I mean the majority of minnesotans we have come across all over MN, St.Paul,& the suburbs,I guess i'ts a style) or do we move to a crummy house in friendly, funky Seattle ? Maybe we should flip a coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 PM

184 posts, read 1,020,184 times
Default Go

Sounds to me like you made up your mind long ago. Enjoy Seattle! Why stay here if you don't like it?? Those of us who plan to live in MN or WI for the rest of our lives will be here if you ever decide to come back.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM

28 posts, read 96,433 times
Default good luck, tough choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by love WI View Post
We are currently trying to decide wether or not to take a great job offer in Seattle. We have lived in MN or WI for 35 years and have family and friends in Seattle and have loved the 12 or so trips we've taken out there. Every time we have been there, the one thing we notice is how friendly and chatty people seem to be compared to MN. We lived in Milwaukee for 6 years and we spent a lot of time in Chicago and found the people to be much friendlier there also. But I could never live in Chicago because of the size and the traffic . We have found MN to be very homogonized and dull. The one great thing about MN is the great housing. You will find some of the best built and designed houses in the U.S. WI and IL houses pale in comparison. Seattle has some of the worst housing options ever. So do we give up a beautiful house with unfriendly neighbors (and by neighbors, I mean the majority of minnesotans we have come across all over MN, St.Paul,& the suburbs,I guess i'ts a style) or do we move to a crummy house in friendly, funky Seattle ? Maybe we should flip a coin.

I so appreciate your comments. I've from southern MN and have lived in Seattle for nearly 10 years. I love it out here...don't even mind the gray winters because they are mild....but the housing prices and traffic are making me wonder if we should move back to MN. I cannot decide. I hate MN winters, I love the weather and beauty of the Pacific NW, but we can never afford to buy a home here unless I want to commute 2 hours! I don't know what to do, either. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 PM

11 posts, read 104,687 times
hmmm, minneapolis people, is it really as unfriendly as stated above?? Seattle is friendly and polite but a lot of the people are kind of dull once you get to know them (that is kind of harsh but I think I mean more that they are extremely laid back, calm and quieter types of folks). OR, they are friendly at first but very hard to get to know on a deeper level. I find Chicago folks extremely feisty and fun and I was hoping for more of that in Minneapolis. Seattlites are very calm and laid back and kind of look at me weird when I express my enthusiasm and excitement over something! How do others living in minn. feel about this subject?

Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,128 times
I am now living in Seattle and love it. Unfortunately, my better half wants to move to Tampa, Florida to be closer to family members. I can understand how you feel about moving to Minneapolis to be closer to your family. Seattle may be beautiful, but there is nothing better than family. Good luck

Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 104,687 times
Default changin mind

hmmm, i feel i have been too harsh. I think the more I get to know people in Seattle, the better it gets. It was just difficult having everyone you meet be new. I also LOVE Seattle so much right now because of the weather and the beauty out here. It is truly amazing! I still do miss midwesterners, there are differences for sure but maybe I am getting used to the people out here or something....anyone looking to move to Seattle--it is amazing out here and one of the most beautiful areas on the planet!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 96,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
Well I've lived in Minneapolis and I currently live in Seattle. My Brother lived in the Chicago area for a while so I know a little bit about it. For me Chicago is just too big, it takes forever to get around it. If you want to get away from the city for a weekend, where do Chicagoans go? A lot go to WI, MI or MN . I would definintely choose MPLS over Chicago. Chicago has a lot more cultural opportunities than the others. I agree with the poster about Seattle's downtown, there is a lot going on day and night, they have done a much better job at keeping the city alive. Mpls isn't too bad in that regard, but no where near Seattle. The downside on Seattlle definitely is the weather and the housing costs. It's grey and gloomy a good part of the year, that does get to me. Mpls will have the most "reasonable" housing prices, Seattle's are outta reach for a lot of folks, probably even higher than Chicago. I think Mpls may be the most freindly, but that's probably because I grew up in the midwest environment and was comfortable in it. I liked MPLS and I may have stayed there, be it not for the harsh winters. I think you will too.

I agree with everything he says above. I have visited Chicago and it's just a little too big for me. The Chicago winter weather is comparable to Minneapolis but windier in general....since you're from Chicago then you are familiar with the worst winters. Getting used to winters will be no problem for you.

I'm from a small town in southern MN originally and live in a Seattle suburb now - we rent a house in Mukilteo now but have lived in Queen Anne, Bothell, Kenmore. It really depends on where you are in your life right now. As a single person (or a childless couple) I love Seattle, winters and all. There's so much to do and see around here. I met a lot of friends early on so that wasn't a problem. The midwest is not as "alive" or as pretty, in my opinion, as the Pacific NW.

Now we are looking to move back to the MN area - why? because housing in Seattle is ridiculously expensive - you get a crappy house with no yard for $450,000... and we miss family too. We have toddlers now and being way out here with little support has been really, really tough. That's what I meant by "it depends on where you are in your life right now." If you want to buy a house soon and raise kids and be nearer to family, I'd go to Chicago or Minneapolis.

Minneapolis would be my first pick only because it's smaller but I think it is @ 8 hours from Chicago which is wayyyyy too long for traveling with little kids - and flying is just as hard (not to mention $$$) until they are school age.

Why not Madison or some bigger town in WI?

Old 07-12-2007, 05:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
The Twin Cities (eastern side) to Chicago is only about 6 hours. We have done it several times with our kids and it isn't a bad ride. We would usually plan a rest stop in the Wisconsin Dells, find a park and let the kids run a bit and head out. Our kids have always been good car travelers though because we have always lived at least 3 hours away from family.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 PM

106 posts, read 572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniefl View Post
hmmm, minneapolis people, is it really as unfriendly as stated above?? ?
Not in my experience. After moving around a bunch I find people in Minneapolis to be great. Sure, they are nuts about hockey and everyone insists on going to "the lake" every weekend, but every region has quirks.

As I write, I'm just winding down from a grill-out party we had with 6 other couples this evening. About 1/2 are natives, the other 1/2 are transplants, and we've gotten to know each other through out kids preschools. We had a great time as we always do. Kids played in the green grass, under a gorgeous blue sky evening. About 68 degrees and just enough humidity to make it shorts weather.

Those who say that Minnesotans don't let you get to know them aren't trying very hard!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniefl View Post
hmmm, minneapolis people, is it really as unfriendly as stated above?? Seattle is friendly and polite but a lot of the people are kind of dull once you get to know them (that is kind of harsh but I think I mean more that they are extremely laid back, calm and quieter types of folks). OR, they are friendly at first but very hard to get to know on a deeper level. I find Chicago folks extremely feisty and fun and I was hoping for more of that in Minneapolis. Seattlites are very calm and laid back and kind of look at me weird when I express my enthusiasm and excitement over something! How do others living in minn. feel about this subject?
Well, people from Seattle, and the West Coast in general, tend to be a bit more reserved in who and in what manner they open up to people. To the rest of the world this might seem odd, but to a West Coaster it is perfectly normal. Deep down they are just as excited as you are, but you know, they gotta keep it cool. Just how it is.

MPLS folks are fiesty and fun-espescially if a bar and/or beer is involved-or a bbq, but I think that the problem here is that there is just too much to do, which makes people shut down a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul