Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

Another thing I've noticed for winter driving is that anti-lock brakes help ALOT. My last car didn't have them and I recall taking at least one turn too steep (trying to get enough speed to get up a hill) and I crashed it into the snowbank and sustained some bumper damage. Anti-lock brakes could save your life in the winter while driving on snow/ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:54 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
If you live in Duluth, snow tires or AWD would be needed.

In non-hilly areas, the plows do a great job and therefore nearly all vehicles will get you through the winter. Snow tires will help you tremendously during snowfalls. Not just the M&S versions, the real snow tires that are removed in the spring. The only other problem that snow tires won't fix is ground clearance. Non-plowed driveways with catch a lot of adventuresome drivers that don't have enough clearance.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 PM

80 posts, read 237,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Another thing I've noticed for winter driving is that anti-lock brakes help ALOT. My last car didn't have them and I recall taking at least one turn too steep (trying to get enough speed to get up a hill) and I crashed it into the snowbank and sustained some bumper damage. Anti-lock brakes could save your life in the winter while driving on snow/ice.

actually experienced drivers don't really like ABS. And most people with a bit of training could do better than what ABS does. Just saying that you could definitely do without it. Snow tires FTW!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 AM

ABS locks and releases much faster than humanly possible. IF you pump your ABS, then you will be in better shape without ABS. Most drivers will benefit from ABS.

From Antilock Brake Systems (ABS) (nhtsa.dot.gov)

Do cars with ABS stop more quickly than cars without?
Perhaps, but that�s not the main purpose of ABS. It is a system designed to help you maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not necessarily make the car stop more quickly. ABS may shorten stopping distances on wet or slippery roads and most systems may shorten stopping distances on dry roads. On very soft surfaces, such as gravel or unpacked snow, ABS may actually lengthen stopping distances. In wet or icy conditions, you should still make sure you drive carefully, always keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you, and maintain a speed consistent with the road conditions."

Since I am just an average driver, I prefer ABS.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM

80 posts, read 237,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

On very soft surfaces, such as gravel or unpacked snow, ABS may actually lengthen stopping distances.

doesn't that just prove my point?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
I'm a very experienced winter driver, and started driving before ABS was very common. I've owned a lot of cars (with and without ABS), and driven three times more (again, with and without ABS), and for winter conditions, all ABS systems are not created equal. Some are poorly calibrated and drastically increase stopping distance in snowy weather. Many systems are fine and will stop as quickly as I could if I was doing it myself.

The ABS in one car I owned (a 2001 Mazda Protege) was so bad in snowy weather that it was scary. The system would start pumping away at the slightest bit of slip, and it wouldn't put the pressure back on quickly enough. It drastically increased the stopping distances in a snow storm. It was a liability in my case, so I eventually pulled the fuse to the ABS system. (It functioned like a normal braking system after that, except that I had a yellow "ABS" warning light on all the time.)

Now that I've said that, let me also say that I do think that ABS is better for the average driver than not having it. Ignoring what they do or don't do for stopping stopping distances in the snow, the benefit to most drivers comes in a panic situation. When one suddenly stomps on the brake and prays, locked wheels won't cause a total loss of control. The driver will have some steering control, instead of just sliding straight ahead.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
doesn't that just prove my point?

Yes. That is why I underlined it. When I read that underlined portion I thought "THAT is why it takes forever to stop when I am on fresh snow".

I would have never guessed that ABS could be worse. Saying that, ABS is especially a good thing for my 17 year old.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
Some abs brakes are better than other, and they have improved since they were introduced as well. If you are driving in a way that the abs system engages more than a handfull of times a year, you need to learn how to drive better (slow down, stop tailgating, or whatever else you need to do).

Old 05-16-2009, 08:18 AM

64 posts, read 223,258 times
Ill start out by saying I prefer ABS. If all I need to do is stand on the pedal and steer, that gives me more chance to avoid a bad situation.

as far as whats popular, I would agree that you see all things here. it really depends on who you are and what you use the vehicle for and what wont work for your situation. Personally after years of driving all kinds of vehicles I prefer having a small truck. 4WD is preferred but not required. I have a small boat and fish regularly so I need a vehicle that can pull a trailer and haul gear. Its my main vehicle so it need to get decent mileage so a fullsize truck is not an option. Even with oversized A/T tires It still gets me 20-21 MPG without thinking.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
I haven't used snow tires in years, all season radials seem to be just fine around the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul