Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I would hate to see what he thought if he came to Detroit.
Yeah but there is no chance the plant will turn into urban decay as is the case in Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, etc. The St. Paul Ford plant is situated on one of the richest pieces of real estate in the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Gina View Post
What time is AM rush hour coming from the west (Minnetonka) to U of M campus? Is it a typical 7:30 to 9:30?

I'm moving to TC in 3 weeks!
It's more 6:30 - 9:30 a.m.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Gina - you didn't ask for this advice, but you might want to seriously look into public transportation options if you'll be commuting to the U during regular work hours, or at least know your options so you can avoid driving some of the time; there are tons of U commuter buses going to all areas of the Twin Cities, and I'm sure there's a convenient stop near you where you could park and ride and get dropped off in the heart of campus. They're very popular with staff and students alike, as driving and parking at the U can be a big hassle (and expense).

Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
I always take 35W into Minneapolis when I visit so I am guessing that is probably why I always get into standstill traffic. There has not been a time that I have visited Mpls and NOT been at a complete stop at some point on a freeway. I'm sure Denver traffic gets bad too (especially 36 from Boulder to Denver) but I've always had smooth sailing on I-25 and C-470. I was just surprised to get into a jam clear down past Burnsville. However, I must admit, there was a bit of construction this last weekend that I was there. I'm sure that contributed to it.

As far as winters, sure Minneapolis may be erratic to you but try living in Rapid City where it literally goes from 85 degrees one day to a full-blown blizzard the next! This last spring was awful and unlike Minneapolis, we don't have 200 plows and a well planned snow removal system. It pretty much either just melts or you stay home. I am going to miss the occasional warm winter days though.

I do have to agree- living in Riverside facing the city would be pretty sweet. I like to joke with some Minneapolis friends that I am planning on moving there and their reactions are priceless! I had a really good time in Minneapolis this last weekend too!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM

292 posts, read 891,689 times
Quote:
I had similar impressions of Minneapolis. I also found the females to be very attractive there vs. anywhere else. Minneapolis does seem to have a poor road system. I'm sure I haven't traveled all the routes, but I've driven on main streets like Central Ave and University Ave and I cannot believe there is only 2 lanes of traffic each way. In Detroit it is a minimum of 3 lanes each way, and in a lot of cases 4 lanes. The freeways also seem narrow as most Detroit freeways are 4 or even 5 lanes in one direction. I like the fact Minneapolis seems set on building parks. You are also the first person i have seen to say a Minnesota winter is a positive.
Yes but in Detroit it's easy to level the houses on either side of a major surface street for the most part they're unoccupied so no one will complain when the city declares eminent domain and levels a row of houses. Anything that will get people out to their McMansions in the burbs is in the best interest of all. Who cares about the poor that may get displaced. While for the most part Central and University Ave. north out of Minneapolis are lined with well maintained properties with thriving businesses. I don't think you'll ever see another major freeway being built or a surface street being majorly expanded in the city limits of Minneapolis or St. Paul again.

In St Paul each year the have a festival celebrating the Rondo neighborhood a mainly black part of the city that was leveled to make way for I-94 in the 1960's. Any action by the city/state/federal gov't to do the same today would be met with 30 years of lawsuits.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
Yes but in Detroit it's easy to level the houses on either side of a major surface street for the most part they're unoccupied so no one will complain when the city declares eminent domain and levels a row of houses. Anything that will get people out to their McMansions in the burbs is in the best interest of all. Who cares about the poor that may get displaced. While for the most part Central and University Ave. north out of Minneapolis are lined with well maintained properties with thriving businesses. I don't think you'll ever see another major freeway being built or a surface street being majorly expanded in the city limits of Minneapolis or St. Paul again.

In St Paul each year the have a festival celebrating the Rondo neighborhood a mainly black part of the city that was leveled to make way for I-94 in the 1960's. Any action by the city/state/federal gov't to do the same today would be met with 30 years of lawsuits.
Huh? These roads in Detroit have been this width since the 60's and believe it or not, not all of Detroit is vacant, especially in the suburbs. There is much more room to expand on Central and University Avenues than any street in Detroit. I really don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM

292 posts, read 891,689 times
Quote:
Huh? These roads in Detroit have been this width since the 60's and believe it or not, not all of Detroit is vacant, especially in the suburbs. There is much more room to expand on Central and University Avenues than any street in Detroit. I really don't know what the hell you are talking about.
What I'm saying is that major expansion of surface streets or additional freeways are not going to happen in Minneapolis. It's not remotely in Metropolitan Councils Transit plan. Sorry if my little bit of humor at what a waste land innercity Detroit can appear to be hit a nerve. Touchy much.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
What I'm saying is that major expansion of surface streets or additional freeways are not going to happen in Minneapolis. It's not remotely in Metropolitan Councils Transit plan. Sorry if my little bit of humor at what a waste land innercity Detroit can appear to be hit a nerve. Touchy much.

The problem is, humor is suppose to be funny and what you said sounded like uneducated drivel. I don't understand how this hit a nerve as I needed clarification on what you said

Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
As far as winters, sure Minneapolis may be erratic to you but try living in Rapid City where it literally goes from 85 degrees one day to a full-blown blizzard the next! This last spring was awful and unlike Minneapolis, we don't have 200 plows and a well planned snow removal system. It pretty much either just melts or you stay home. I am going to miss the occasional warm winter days though.

I do have to agree- living in Riverside facing the city would be pretty sweet. I like to joke with some Minneapolis friends that I am planning on moving there and their reactions are priceless! I had a really good time in Minneapolis this last weekend too!
You're correct Danny- Rapid City is probably one of the more extreme in the country as far as erratic weather patterns, so although Minneapolis/ Minnesota (and ND/ eastern SD) weather can also be very erratic/ extreme as well (for instance, in southwest Minnesota it reached 100 today, meanwhile it was in the mid-30s in the northeastern part of the state), and we similarly can go from warm weather to freezing snow storms in 24 hours, the extreme shifts aren't as often and are likely not as dramatic on average as Rapid City's.

Another point I should mention as an FYI- Riverside Plaza sometimes reaches borderline urban legend status to newcomers and other local residents, but the bad rap and various names that get attached to it are pretty undeserved. In reality, it's a pretty safe place with good property management, has a strong tenant's association, and I would wager that less than 2% of its thousands of residents actually smoke crack- the vast majority of residents are East African and are, in general, a very "clean living" people. That's not to say that there isn't high poverty/ unemployment rates and a fair amount of crime and other issues (addiction, etc.) growing among a number of youth, a lack of investment from local govt/ authorities in general, and the buildings themselves are pretty damn ugly to look at- but the term "crack stacks" just isn't justifiable IMO.

But I think you'll like Minneapolis- you'll find that there are many former South Dakotans that have chosen to take up residence and stay here- we tend to respond favorably to the trees/ parks/ lakes, increased population/ diversity/ infrastructure, and IMO, better quality of life here (not to mention all of the "beautiful people").

Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
But I think you'll like Minneapolis- you'll find that there are many former South Dakotans that have chosen to take up residence and stay here- we tend to respond favorably to the trees/ parks/ lakes, increased population/ diversity/ infrastructure, and IMO, better quality of life here (not to mention all of the "beautiful people").
He means all of the beautiful MARRIED people....

Minnesotans tend to lock themselves into marriage pretty early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul