Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,648 times

Advertisements

I am moving from San Diego to St Paul MN in September, my main concern is for my Shih Tzu dog, where do you exercise them when its -20F and what about potty, she always goes outside here in San Digeo , what about the snow etc??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,291 times
Our family has a small dog too, and she does fine in the snow. When it's really deep we shovel a small area in the yard so that its only a couple inches deep there. She just goes out and comes back in really fast.

I imagine your dog will take awhile getting used to it, but it'll be fine.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Same here, our dog is only 12 lbs and she goes out, does her job and comes right back in. We have to shovel a spot if the snow gets too deep or she will go on the snow that is on the deck. She doesn't like to go for walks in the winter so that isn't an issue. Being outside for 5 minutes even in the most extreme cold here isn't going to hurt them any.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
In addition to the shovel-a-path strategy, you can also buy your dog snow boots - they look a little funny, but if your dog doesn't like snow or ice in her feet (or is irritated by the salt that sometimes gets put down on the sidewalks) you can put them on for walks.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM

64 posts, read 223,198 times
Agreed on the booties. my dogs have always had them in the winter. Keeps their feet safe and warm and helps keep the house clean.

Fluffy will get used to it. most times a quick trip out the back door is all they need with a short walk once a day for the rest.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Now you know why mom's always tell their kids not to eat the yellow snow

Really watch when the temp drops below zero - human flesh can freeze fast - dogs can freeze as well. I always wait by the door and let them in as soon as they're ready. I suppose I've really scared you now - you'll get use to it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM

242 posts, read 433,034 times
I think it depends on the dog - we relocated from California and have two toy poodles and one doesn't mind the snow at all while the other (who tends to be a drama queen in general) doesn't like it. He can only walk in the snow for about ten feet and then he starts limping. During the latter parts of last winter he simply went right outside our door on the shoveled portion. I also agree that you have to be very mindful of how long the dogs are out during winter (especiall small dogs) - I always have them on a leash when I take them out and never simply open the door and let them run. This is especially true when it's below zero... Good luck with your move - I hope you love Minneapolis as much as we do

Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
It's funny how ignorant some people are. I'm not sure if you've heard of "dog sled races" in Alaska and Canada? Dogs run and pull sleds thousands of miles in the snow. A little bit of snow isn't a big deal for a dog.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Most dogs are not bred for Alaska - and yes, dogs can freeze their feet. I often wonder how long these dos in Alaska live - not long, I'm sure. And I'd be careful at calling any else ignorant.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
The dog booties can be added to the long list of marketing scam products that are solutions to invented problems. I've been living in Minnesota long enough to know that albeit extreme and isolated cases dogs adapt and handle themselves just fine in the snow/winter weather. I call anyone who buys into that crap as being ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul