Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:42 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times

Advertisements

I've often wondered, what would be the impact on crime if all pawn shops were outlawed? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I've often wondered, what would be the impact on crime if all pawn shops were outlawed? Any thoughts?
You don't need pawn shops to have problems with crime. I call it correlation. Sure, areas with alot of pawn shops have a higher crime rate, but it isn't the cause. I can speak from personal experience that a pawn shop isn't necessary for crime to occur. I was mugged one night after work inside of an apartment complex. No pawn shops anywhere for miles. What did they take? My keys, phone and $10. I eventually got the keys and phone back. If the pawn shops were outlawed, then the criminals can committ crimes elsewhere, such as the stores.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:29 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You don't need pawn shops to have problems with crime. I call it correlation. Sure, areas with alot of pawn shops have a higher crime rate, but it isn't the cause. I can speak from personal experience that a pawn shop isn't necessary for crime to occur. I was mugged one night after work inside of an apartment complex. No pawn shops anywhere for miles. What did they take? My keys, phone and $10. I eventually got the keys and phone back. If the pawn shops were outlawed, then the criminals can committ crimes elsewhere, such as the stores.
What about the $10?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
What about the $10?
I never got it back. I got lucky as far as the phone and keys were concerned. I found them on the ground later on.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wasn't even really correlating it. I realize crime exists without pawn shops. I'm just saying that their presence (and availability) could contribute to crime.

It is well known that pawn shops receive stolen goods. This happens a lot with jewelry, since most jewelry is untraceable. If there weren't any pawn shops, it would be harder for thieves to sell their wares.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Pawn Shops get an undeserved bad rap sometimes. Recently I bought a set of computer speakers with a sub woofer for $14. We hook it up to the laptop and have instant surround quality sound for music and movies. How much would it cost to buy a receiver and surround sound speakers new at Best Buy, like $200-2000? suckers.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,998 times
The impact on crime would be neglible if pawn shops were outlawed. You'd just have more loansharks and fences popping up. Actually, internet sites like craigslist are becoming the preferred method of fencing stolen goods versus pawn shops.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I wasn't even really correlating it. I realize crime exists without pawn shops. I'm just saying that their presence (and availability) could contribute to crime.

It is well known that pawn shops receive stolen goods. This happens a lot with jewelry, since most jewelry is untraceable. If there weren't any pawn shops, it would be harder for thieves to sell their wares.
I'd like to bump this thread. Two crimes committed in St Paul on Monday are directly related to my posting about pawn shops.

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_14056816

Nevermind the breaking and entering, assault, etc. This charming gentleman stole jewelry and went immediately to Pawn America. Being the upstanding company they are, they dutifully paid him for the stolen jewelry, and off he went. Sure, they got photos of him, but that doesn't matter. He's already got the money, he's gone.

He committed basically the same crime weeks earlier. Stole jewelry, went to a pawn shop, got paid.

I dare anyone to explain how the quality of life in our city would markedly decline were pawn shops to go extinct. I just don't see how somebody like this is going to sell the stolen goods on craigslist. He wants money NOW. He's going to do what it takes to find a buyer as quickly as possible, and pawn shops are the obvious choice. Craigslist involves time, hassle, and a potentially longer paper trail. It also requires a computer and knowledge of how to use it.

There is essentially ZERO deterrent to committing these crimes. Steal jewelry, get paid. My first idea would be to disallow pawn shops from paying for any items that do not have serial numbers. This law would be enforced by creation of a pawn inspection unit to be funded by a dramatic increase in the cost of a pawnbroker license. Licenses would need to be renewed annually after an extensive review of business practices.

If a pawn shop buys such an item (e.g., jewelry), their pawnbroker license is suspended for one year, loss of all merchandise, and fined $100,000. Second offense, the shop is shut down permanently, and the owner will not be allowed to open another pawn shop in Minnesota.

Next idea would be to abolish all pawn shops. Please discuss.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM

What is the total count thus far? 2009 ends in a few days and the last time I checked, there were about 15 murders and that was in October. What is the total number of murders as of now?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM

292 posts, read 891,689 times
19 the last one was mid Nov.. Also violent crime overall was down 16.5% for the first half of 2009 compared to 2008 levels. Which is the 3rd straight year of decline. What is really amazing is that this is happening in the worst economy that we've seen since the early 80's. I know many people predicted that the crime rate would skyrocket with the bad economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul