Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM

98 posts, read 511,319 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

My wife and I will be moving to the cities next year sometime for grad school, and we want to buy a condo near downtown, the U of M, and the the major hospitals (my wife's an RN). I found a condo building that will be completed around the time we would be moving there, and it is right next to 94, on the very northern border of Ventura Village.

I'm wondering what that area is like for crime. I've heard plenty of things about the Phillip neighborhood, and the chicago-lake area to the south, but now that the neighborhood has been broken up into 3, I don't know what to think.

We aren't into the nightlife at all, so I doubt we would be strolling the streets at night. And we don't have kids, so good schools are of no concern. A good restaurant variety would be nice, however.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM

433 posts, read 2,357,291 times
Have you considered the St. Paul side of the Mississippi River? There are some nice areas from the Ford Parkway on north.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but that seems too far from the U of M west bank for me. Since the bulk of my traveling will be going to campus daily, and my wife would be going to one of the big hospitals for work (HCMC, UofM, Northwestern), the closer the better. What about the cedar-riverside, longfellow, seward, cooper areas?? Are they safer than the phillips area?

My other big hang up, and I'm sure its an eye-roller for current residents, is that I really want to see the skyline from wherever i live. Thats the other reason for wanting to be closer to the downtown/campus area.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:38 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,765,102 times
chicago-lake is fine. I have a friend who lives right there...quiet spot. Its not a "roam the streets" kind of place...but they bus to and from a lot. No problems to speak of.

You want to see the skyline? Look into south Harrison or Bryn Mawr. Im moving there in June. Some of the blocks closer to Olson Memorial are kinda meh but overall I studied the neighborhood meticulously and its on par with my current uptown residence as far as safety goes. Ir would be a pretty easy commute to the U. Glenwood has frequent bus runs into downtown, then catch a bus to campus.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check into those areas more. Are there any other great neighborhoodsfor seeing the skyline from afar?

Old 05-06-2007, 06:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak11 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check into those areas more. Are there any other great neighborhoodsfor seeing the skyline from afar?

There are some areas in Eagan along Hwy 77 (Cedar Ave) that have a GREAT view of the Minneapolis Skyline.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,567,273 times
I would be more hesitant to live on Glenwood. Bryn Mawr is nice, but Harrison is much more sketchy. Ventura Village is better than the rest of Phillips, but you would still be an urban pioneer of sorts. Crime is down by a third within a half mile of Chi-Lake. The area has really convenient pub. trans. The redone Sears Bldg. is lovely. I would live there personally. Elliot Park is cool, crime is slightly better, but there are alot of nuisance things. Seward is pretty good, alot of Somalis. Great Co-op grocery. Cedar-Riverside is hard for me to explain, but there are fewer housing options there. Longfellow is more suburban, lots of old bungalows. Pretty safe. I would also look at Whittier (a personal favorite) and Marcy-Holmes. Most of the areas are relatively good as far as crime goes. There has been a tremendous improvement in even the last 10 years. A good city-sense should keep you safe. As an aside, city neighborhoods like to change between the blocks. You can have a great area, and a few blocks away will be worse. Not that that should nec, worry you. The MPD puts up weekly crime maps, you can get alot of info there. I like to use the Edina Realty website for house searching (don't know abt. agents). Good luck, hope I didn't ramble on for too long.
------Mhahapolitan

Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,765,102 times
I was pretty dilligent in studying the stastics of Harrison and broke it down. Realistically speaking, its no more or less dangerous than my current neighborhood of Carag...just less asthetically pleasing.

For all practical purposes I may as well say I am in Bryn Mawr. Its about four houses down from the bridge where it becomes Cedar Lake Rd So.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 39,471 times
ventera village is okay its da best out of all da phillips but franklin and chicago is where i wouldnt hangout at

Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 PM

411 posts, read 993,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are some areas in Eagan along Hwy 77 (Cedar Ave) that have a GREAT view of the Minneapolis Skyline.
Who the hey wants to live in Eagan though??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul