Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure North Minneapolis will "turn around" eventually. If the run-down houses in the area are repaired to a level that they can be inhabited comfortably, that will be an accomplishment on its own.

I'm not exactly sure how bad the crime is in North Minneapolis. I live in Burnsville and I don't go to Minneapolis on even a monthly basis. Personally, I think people exaggerate the crime in the area. When I look at it, it doesn't seem as bad as people make it out to be.

In conclusion, if the homes are repaired and the crime is reduced if it's high, North Minneapolis should eventually "turn around".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNorthSide View Post
Glamorizing a region of the city that is ripe with gangs, drugs, and poverty really detracts from a person’s credibility. So much so, that when you mention an area within that region that is doing well… nobody believes you. Just my $0.02
I may have went to the Peace Ball this weekend, but I think it's really a stretch to say anyone's been "glamorizing" the area on here. And I would argue that the converse of your argument is more valid- if all you do is blanket-statement/ generalize an entire area by focusing on negatives specific to sub-regions within that area, you lose all credibility with the people that actually have decent knowledge about the neighborhood, and you are just contributing to the already-existing mass ignorance out there that prevents people from even being able to consider the possibility that there are great places to live on the Northside.

But I understand that there is a certain sect of people that always needs to be angry about something and can't be happy with their surroundings no matter what the circumstances (the "everything-is-always-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket" types).

Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 PM

86 posts, read 481,954 times
In September the Northside, as a whole, has had almost one and a half times the amount of crime as the citywide average (1.4). Hawthorne and Willard-Hay have doubled it, and Jordan has tripled it. Even Victory, your favorite hood to glamorize, is above the average.
I understand that there is a sect of people who find it easy to make light of the plights of the downtrodden, most cannot relate after having gained all of their “street smarts” from a text book, but taking away from our efforts by acting as if these problems do not exist is counterproductive to the advancement of the Northside – is that what you would have?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think saying that Northsiders, particularly those activitist neighbors and community leaders who are actively working to improve their neighborhoods and the Northside in general, are somehow ignoring problems isn't a fair statement. Those who live and work in the neighborhood know the realities of the situation better than anyone, and certainly aren't glamorizing anything. It's more counterproductive to write off a broad swath of the city as unlivable. How does that help anything? I think that those who have closer personal working knowledge with the Northside and its various neighborhoods are trying to give a fair, accurate description the area's strengths and weaknesses.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 46,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think saying that Northsiders, particularly those activitist neighbors and community leaders who are actively working to improve their neighborhoods and the Northside in general, are somehow ignoring problems isn't a fair statement. Those who live and work in the neighborhood know the realities of the situation better than anyone, and certainly aren't glamorizing anything. It's more counterproductive to write off a broad swath of the city as unlivable. How does that help anything? I think that those who have closer personal working knowledge with the Northside and its various neighborhoods are trying to give a fair, accurate description the area's strengths and weaknesses.
I don't remember seeing anyone say that these neighborhood activists are ignoring the problem, but I would say that they do act as if it's some up and coming utopia. Sure, that helps their objective, but it doesn't give an accurate representation of what the North Side really is. In fact, I would go as far to say it's as if these "activists" are attempting to trick people.

If I were to ask any real North Sider what represents North Minneapolis most accurately: Brodway or Xerxes, we all know they would say Broadway, and we all know your average resident of the Metro Area wouldn't give the , other than maybe some activists with biased opinions and obvious agendas.

Then again, maybe I'm just contributing to the "mass ignorance"... or maybe I'm just being real.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM

292 posts, read 891,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge, Jury, Executioner View Post

If I were to ask any real North Sider what represents North Minneapolis most accurately: Brodway or Xerxes, we all know they would say Broadway
Well I consider myself a real northsider. Whatever that is. But if I had to choose a road that really represented NOMI I'd go with Humbolt Ave. It has it's very rough areas, it has areas that are good block bad block, it has nice parks, and has it's nice areas with some new condos/townhouses that are worth $350,000+. That it a better example of what NOMI is.

You're right anyone who belives that NOMI is a utopia is crazy.

But anyone who believe that it's a open air drug den where you're likely to get robbed, shot or raped if you come to a full stop at a stoplight doesn't really know what they are talking about and most likely has never spent any real amount of time up here in the last 5 years.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
In September the Northside, as a whole, has had almost one and a half times the amount of crime as the citywide average (1.4). Hawthorne and Willard-Hay have doubled it, and Jordan has tripled it. Even Victory, your favorite hood to glamorize, is above the average.

Not sure what you're talking about. For Part 1 Crimes alone, for the month of September the citywide average neighborhood crime totals (including industrial areas so a total of 87 neighborhoods) was 178. Not taking per capita analysis into account at all, areas like Longfellow more than doubled this amount, and Seward was similarly significantly above it as well. Interestingly, I've never been accused of "glamorizing" either of these neighborhoods the multiple times that I've recommended them on this board (nor has anyone else), despite the fact that their average per capita crime rates are usually higher than that of the north neighborhood that I live in.

Quote:
I understand that there is a sect of people who find it easy to make light of the plights of the downtrodden, most cannot relate after having gained all of their “street smarts” from a text book, but taking away from our efforts by acting as if these problems do not exist is counterproductive to the advancement of the Northside – is that what you would have?
Quote:
Give me a break, yes do please tell me how I "cannot relate" with some more of your assumptions. Who are you referring to when you say "our efforts"? And how does portraying all northsiders as criminals not fit to live next to not qualify as further 'downtrodding'?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM

86 posts, read 481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
most likely has never spent any real amount of time up here in the last 5 years.
I could not agree with you more, Duk. Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Give me a break, yes do please tell me how I "cannot relate" with some more of your assumptions. Who are you referring to when you say "our efforts"? And how does portraying all northsiders as criminals not fit to live next to not qualify as further 'downtrodding'?
No need to put words in my mouth, Camden (Voice of the Northside ) - can we please keep this civil?

I guess I should have been more direct. When I say "our" efforts, I am referring to those who have dealt with the tribulations of our community throughout the height of the crack epidemic in the 80's, the much-related era of "Murderapolis" in the 90's, and the gang activity that has gone along with it all. "We" have all been personally affected by this, but I guess you would have to be here for more than 5 years to fully understand this concept...

Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I still don't get it; what's the problem with pointing out the positives of a community (but at the same time not ignoring the problems)?

And MrMinneapolis, if you agree with Duk123 then I think you agree with Camden; they seem to be saying the exact same thing.

So only those who have lived in a specific location for more than five years are entitled to have views about their own neighborhoods?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM

23 posts, read 118,995 times
I don't think North Minneapolis is even that bad compared to other cities. It's been blown way out of the water when one thinks Minneapolis is a crime ridden city when it's not as bad as it seems. Minneapolis has jobs and other things to offer. You don't find that elsewhere in the Midwest besides Des Moines. Other cities in the Midwest are way more dangerous and they really need help in turning their cities around. I've lived in Minnesota and it's nothing like Flint, Mi. Flint has a population of about 120,000 people and they average around 45-65 murders a year. The same with Gary, Indiana. Minneapolis has a population of about 330,000 and had like 42 murders. You see what I mean? It's not that bad when you do comparisons to other cities.

Last edited by EastsideManiac; 10-14-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul